• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

13th Feb - Todays Inflation report at 2.7%

Well that was no surprise!

I think the latest inflation figure is way too low and should be around the 3.0% mark at least - plus we should be looking at another interest rate rise in march - im hoping for at least .5% to get inflation back on target.

HOLA443
So we have the news which bulls wanted and bears didnt? Or will bears just say it is all made up?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6355979.stm

'U.K. inflation slowed in January as prices fell the most on the month in four years, lessening the case for another interest-rate increase to cool the economy.'

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Much better report with a breakdown.

Edited by hezzaa

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

te name='Casual Observer' date='Feb 13 2007, 09:51 AM' post='551844']

HPC Rule No.1:

Bear news is accurate, honest and spot-on.

Bull news is fabricated VI spin.

:lol:

That did entertain me! You cant have any news being accurate without it being VI SPIN!

HOLA447
HOLA448
So we have the news which bulls wanted and bears didnt? Or will bears just say it is all made up?!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6355979.stm

The bears will be sobbing over this one. The frustration of it all! You're right, there will be a load of "my personal inflation is really 20% la la la" and "it's all lies" type angry stuff on here today.

On the face of it, inflation is coming back under control. And with the last rate rise so recent, will it even have fed through yet? I.e. could inflation be about to be squashed hard down with the IRs we currently have? How long will it be until the talk of possible rate cuts by the commentators return I wonder?

HOLA449
still 0.7 over target

interest rates up to 5.5% next month regardless

oil nearer $50 per barrel in Jan, now $60 since feb, this "dip" will be short-lived

You add up like my wife! $57.8 is not $60. Oil prices were $78 during the middle of last year so inflation will come down as long as oil doesnt spring back up. Wholesale gas at 50% of last years price so its all looking good for inflation/dammed VI spin

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

My what short memories everyone has. Last months 3% was in large part self inflicted by the Chancellors one off tax increases. So to state that inflation is on its merry way down now is a bit of a leap isn't it.

We've had this sort of reporting going on in the states for a while now, inflation has been on its way down from the second the Fed stopped raising the rates (if you believe the tripe on Bloomberg) yet it isn't and rates aren't on their way down.

Quit obsessing over monthly stats, they mean nothing it's the trend that is important.

HOLA4414
Next IR cut not until late 2008 IMO.

Slowly rising wage rises (3-4% pa) will improve affordability over the next 5 years, providing house prices don't rise, which I don't expect them to do. Hey presto, a soft landing.

I think you could well be right. I was just thinking too, the graph on the front page is looking more and more like a soft landing every month. It won't be long before it's pretty close to the long term curve, at least the one taken "by eye".

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

The major concern is that the figure is not calculated the same as it was last month. So the arbitrary figure (whose actual definition has changed) has gone down. From my scientific viewpoint, the number is meaningless. They need to use the same calculation each time otherwise the results are statistically useless!

HOLA4419
Utility bills coming down. Plus last years utility bills coming out of the equation.

A double whammy.

The utility Bills don't come in until March and next month's CPI is likely to see another close shave with 3.1%.I do not dispute the accuracy of the figures ,what I do dispute is the fairness of the MPC to shadow 2.0% as it is supposed to.The National Institute for Economic and Social Research does not see the target being achieved for the foreseeable future. At a time of fuel deflation and a strong pound, all importing low inflation ,it is a scandal if the CPI is still above 2% by the Summer,when all the deflationary effects have worked through.But by then the current wage round will have also worked through and no doubt we will still have the most shameful record on inflation of the entire developed world because of an MPC with a permanent Dove bias.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4420
The bears will be sobbing over this one. The frustration of it all! You're right, there will be a load of "my personal inflation is really 20% la la la" and "it's all lies" type angry stuff on here today.

On the face of it, inflation is coming back under control. And with the last rate rise so recent, will it even have fed through yet? I.e. could inflation be about to be squashed hard down with the IRs we currently have? How long will it be until the talk of possible rate cuts by the commentators return I wonder?

Well hooray!!!!

Lets call for a cut in rates and then house prices can go up x million % in the next few months!

To be honest all this pissing about quibbiling over small percentages (of both inflation and IR's) is arguably pointless as it does not remove the fact that houses are over priced and one day the "value" will drop. How this comes about I dont really care and I would prefer it to be sooner than later but whatever this country is screwed - how can we rely on an economy that seems to primarily revolve around people borrowing money?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I just don’t get it.

Low inflation means low pay increases but high lending multiples – the ultimate workers trap.

Basically, we have been hood-winked by flashing lights (on electronic products) and cheap flights.

Bugger this, I think I’ll get in to a life of crime.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425