House Price Crash Forum

What $1,000,000 Will Buy Worldwide

HOLA441

Forbes http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2006/12/1...ld_slide_2.html

You get some nice looking places coming up, for example in Atlanta

4_1214home.jpg

Never mind peaches; Georgia has space to brag about. Indeed, some $1 million will buy you this five-bedroom home in Atlanta’s Sandy Springs neighborhood. This two-story home also offers four-and-a-half baths and a three-car garage. What's more, the European style home rests on close to two acres, with a deck and stream outside.

or Costa Rica

19_1214home.jpg

This Spanish Colonial-inspired home sits on a half-acre within the Reserva de Golf beach community in the Guanacaste region of the country. It has three bedrooms, three bathrooms, a solarium and spacious kitchen as well as maid’s and guest rooms and an outdoor pool.

But I laughed when I saw the example from Dublin "boasts a backyard garden"? In Atlanta you get 2 acres!

13_1214home.jpg

Close to the villages of Dundrum and Clonskeagh as well as the University College Dublin, this three-bedroom, two-bathroom home on a cul-de-sac in Dublin 14 gets plenty of sunlight and boasts a backyard garden. The kitchen is washing machine and dishwasher-ready and features oak cabinetry.

Follow the link for the whole lot, including the flat you get in London for your million dollars

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/2006/12/1...ld_slide_2.html

Edited by spleeper

HOLA442
HOLA443
Here's one of the guest apartments:

Now that's 'green living' :).

I just looked up million-dollar homes in the province where my girlfriend lives in Canada and... there aren't any. Couple of dozen farms, but obviously no-one pays that much for a house there :).

Still, there's this one for about the same price as the three-bed detached house on the edge of chav-town with an excellent view of the local petrol station that sold near here a few months back, or a two-bed 'executive apartment' near where I used to live:

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyDetails.aspx?PropertyID=5183250

And, unlike the place in Dublin, it comes with the washing machine and dishwasher included in your $700,000 :).

HOLA444
HOLA445

what i find really interesting is tokyo, the most overvalued place in the world now looks comparable/affordable after a 40% drop over 16 years

Tokyo

$1.1 million

This 1,700-square-foot, four-bedroom home is located in the Megoro-Ku section of the city, which offers fine dining and shopping as well as quiet residential areas. It has parking for two cars and a traditional Tatami, or meditation, room. For more information, contact Plaza Homes, Ltd.

15_1214home.jpg

post-552-1166434781_thumb.jpg

Edited by moosetea

HOLA446

Funny that you picked Atlanta as I am working there right now for a few weeks. What is really interesting is wages in Atlanta are way higher in Atlanta than Dublin and London (in my business IT). All the people in the company I work for in the Atlanta office buy 3 bed houses as first homes in the suburbs or similar, the equivilent people in our London office can barely find a down payment on a grotty flat. Makes me think outside a few hotspots most of the US is still a bargain/better value than the UK or Dublin.

HOLA447
HOLA448

If I had $1,000,000 to spend I'd probably go for something like this: 4-bed 17th century Italian country house which also has 3 self-contained guest appartments each with its own dining terrace, plus an olive grove and swimming pool:

Although this might slightly spoil the idyllic scene:

Don't be put off by...

The approach to the house which is through a housing estate. The estate can't be seen from the house and the driveway could be moved to come in from below the property.

There's always a catch! Clearly the Italians are not NIMBY enough. :lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411