Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
still talking rubbish statin

that copper sitting in the shed is making him a fortune

rising in price everyday

why would he sell it cheap to you ?

when he would have to replace it with more expensive stuff

unless of course if he sees the building game is up and getting out!

still waiting patiently for the name of that concrete company where i can get 30% off

the facts are the local companies are busy pouring concrete as fast as they can into holes in the ground

for our local farming friends for which they will receive immediate payment

they are receiving a 60% grant to construct 100s of millons of gallons of slurry storage

the question is

will it be enough to contain all the bull**** emanating from your goodself?

rock on!

Just to put my tuppence opinion in.

Are you living in the real world? Are you suggesting that the merchant is better off holding on to stock in his business that isn't selling?

I can just imagine his bank manager's face when he is talking to him about his account. Maybe he could offer him some copper piping to cover his payments as it has increased in value!

My brother works in a builders yard and I can tell you now if he came home with a few lengths of copper piping for his wages his wife wouldn't be too pleased!

In theory you may be right but when you are sitting with a shed load of copper piping and not selling it, with running costs, wages and overheads to pay, unless people start using it as currency its not worth an awful lot then. Something only has a worth if you can sell it - just like the housing market.

HOLA443
still talking rubbish statin

that copper sitting in the shed is making him a fortune

rising in price everyday

why would he sell it cheap to you ?

when he would have to replace it with more expensive stuff

unless of course if he sees the building game is up and getting out!

still waiting patiently for the name of that concrete company where i can get 30% off

the facts are the local companies are busy pouring concrete as fast as they can into holes in the ground

for our local farming friends for which they will receive immediate payment

they are receiving a 60% grant to construct 100s of millons of gallons of slurry storage

the question is

will it be enough to contain all the bull**** emanating from your goodself?

rock on!

Oh dear we botched it again. No grants for tanks when we asked recently. Strange.

Edited by yadayada

HOLA444
In theory you may be right but when you are sitting with a shed load of copper piping and not selling it, with running costs, wages and overheads to pay, unless people start using it as currency its not worth an awful lot then. Something only has a worth if you can sell it - just like the housing market.

If they only sell copper piping, then I would likely agree; they need to keep turnover as high as possible. However, if it is just one area of the business, then sitting on stock which is rising in value for a while, is a good strategy. Why sell something cheap now when you can sell it for more later?

To relate this to houses (as this is why we're here), this is why people were buying houses at inflated house prices in the first place. They were banking on them going up and selling them for a profit later!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Are you living in the real world? Are you suggesting that the merchant is better off holding on to stock in his business that isn't selling?

I can just imagine his bank manager's face when he is talking to him about his account. Maybe he could offer him some copper piping to cover his payments as it has increased in value!

My brother works in a builders yard and I can tell you now if he came home with a few lengths of copper piping for his wages his wife wouldn't be too pleased!

read my post again slowlyand carefully

i did not say he was not selling it

just telling you why he would not be selling it cheap!

HOLA449

I'm going to try to pay a plasterer on friday with some copper pipe. If it works I'll let you know. If it does I'll be paying the bills with it next month.

LMAO @ Rock n Roll

HOLA4410
I'm going to try to pay a plasterer on friday with some copper pipe. If it works I'll let you know. If it does I'll be paying the bills with it next month.

LMAO @ Rock n Roll

I have a sneaking suspicion that I might already know where the length of copper pipe might end up.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

LMAO @ Rock n Roll

checkbook not working anymore?

surprise surprise!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Am I out of the loop?

I don't know if there is one gang vs. another gang - but a lot of the stuff here is pretty personal.

Given that most of what is written is qualitative drivvel rather than quantitative drivvel - can we all agree to respect eachothers opionions - including Helen's.

And regarding the holding of assets - don't the supermarkets and builders have large land-banks at their disposal.

Also - when the oil industry was kicking off - oil prices was high - but when Spindletop was struck - prices fell.

As a result - oil companies lobbied their shareholders to allow them to bean production back as reserves = $ - even if you don't get it right away.

Regardinf this argument - turnover is flattery, profit is sanity.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
read my post again slowlyand carefully

i did not say he was not selling it

just telling you why he would not be selling it cheap!

I have read your quote 'slowly and carefully'.

In a market where houses aren't selling and housing consruction has come to a halt - who is he selling the copper pipe to??

As I said my brother works in a builders yard and is always saying how slow business is. Should i suggest he target farmers since they are the ones propping up the economy?

HOLA4418
If they only sell copper piping, then I would likely agree; they need to keep turnover as high as possible. However, if it is just one area of the business, then sitting on stock which is rising in value for a while, is a good strategy. Why sell something cheap now when you can sell it for more later?To relate this to houses (as this is why we're here), this is why people were buying houses at inflated house prices in the first place. They were banking on them going up and selling them for a profit later!

To pay his bills perhaps and keep his bank manager happy. I would imagine copper piping and other mineral based products would be a large portion of the turnover in a plumbers merchants.

To get back to the reason for this site, I first came on here seeking advice about the best time to buy a house. If people on here can't see the simple basics of running a business then I'm beginning to wonder will get any reliable advice about purchasing a home.

HOLA4419
To pay his bills perhaps and keep his bank manager happy. I would imagine copper piping and other mineral based products would be a large portion of the turnover in a plumbers merchants.

To get back to the reason for this site, I first came on here seeking advice about the best time to buy a house. If people on here can't see the simple basics of running a business then I'm beginning to wonder will get any reliable advice about purchasing a home.

Has the value of oil gone up? Yes. Has price of petrol at the pumps gone up? Yes. Surely you can see the parallels?

I'm no expert on plumbing or plumbing merchants, but I'm playing devils advocate on why someone may hold on to an appreciating asset.

HOLA4420

You people make me sick.

Anyway - some good news.

Strabane Mayor "You can polish a turd"

Plans to turn Strabane into an employment hotspot

Click on thumbnail to view image

« Previous

« Previous

Next »

Next »

View Gallery

Strabane is to be transformed from an 'unemployment blackspot' to an 'employment hotspot' with the promise of a £60 million investment being pumped into the town and the creation of 100 private sector jobs.

Speaking at Friday's meeting in Ballymagorry, Derry accountant Niall McAteer, from Fergus McAteer & Co Chartered Accountants confirmed that investors had promised to invest £60m providing planning permission was granted.

"I can report to you that as a result of these discussions a firm commitment has been made to invest in the Strabane area. We can look forward to an investment of almost £60 million pounds in this area.

"This will cover various buildings, businesses and infrastructure that will fulfil both investors' needs and community needs," he said.

He continued: "Included in this is a specific undertaking to build an office facility to accommodate 100 new quality jobs."

However, Mr McAteer said that the last piece of the jigsaw was the planning approval, and the successful resolution of this would pave the way for project implementation and delivery.

"This will be a major financial injection of new money that will race through the veins of the local economy creating many direct and indirect jobs.

"In the past some called Strabane the economic and employment blackspot of the North, with your help this is all being changed. No more second class Strabane. The so called blackspot is rapidly becoming a hot spot." he said.

Mr. McAteer continued: "I would urge all in this area to continue to think and act like a regional economy and enable each part of our region to play to its competitive strengths and advantages. What is good today for Strabane can be good for Derry, good for Limavady, good for Omagh and all who live in our natural hinterland," he said.

Meanwhile Joe Barber, Vice President of Strabane Chamber of Commerce said that the success of the plans, specifically the blueprint for the Camel's Hump site depended on the final approval for planning permission by the Environment Minister Arlene Foster.

"The plans will come before Minister Foster, hopefully within the next few months... There has been technical difficulties in the past with the sites but we have been told by the investors that they will confirm their plans providing there are no delays with planning permission," he said.

Mr. Barber said that the Chamber had been approached by another three service industry companies to invest in the town but until sites are confirmed they cannot be named.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Strabane opens Commodities Night Trading Bourse

Strabane hit by oil tank thefts

Published Date: 08 April 2008

By Freelance

Police are urging residents in Strabane to be more vigilant after a spate of oil thefts since Christmas.

Local resident, Sonia McKay became a recent victim of the heating oil theft when she was preparing to move into her new home in Carricklynn Avenue, on the outskirts of the town.

She said: "I bought oil about six weeks before I moved into my house

and I had it on quite a lot in order to heat the house before my move, but I was still shocked to find that it was gone after just one month.

"I bought another £200 of oil when I moved in, but within a week that was gone too."

Miss McKay has now protected her oil tank by putting a lock on it and urges other people to do the same. She said: "I just think its rotten that people would do this, we have to look out for our neighbours properties in order to stop this type of thing occurring again."

There has been a number of oil theft incidents, not only in the Carrick-lynn area but across the town also. Police are reminding local residents to be on the alert over thefts of heating oil.

Usually it is only when people run out of oil that the theft becomes apparent and that is why we are now asking residents to check the level of the oil more frequently.

Police are also asking that if any member of the public sees a tanker lorry, van or any suspicious vehicle parked at a neighbours house - do not assume that it is just workmen. Take a few moments to study what they are doing. Have they gone around the side of the house to the oil tank or have the men unwound hosing of some sort leading into the vehicle?

Listen out for the sound of an electric pump or generator coming from the vehicle. Emptying an oil tank takes time and clearly this is when those involved run the greatest risk of getting caught.

Anyone with any information regarding the theft of heating oil is asked to contact the police on 0845 600 8000 or Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Am I out of the loop?

I don't know if there is one gang vs. another gang - but a lot of the stuff here is pretty personal.

Given that most of what is written is qualitative drivvel rather than quantitative drivvel - can we all agree to respect eachothers opionions - including Helen's.

And regarding the holding of assets - don't the supermarkets and builders have large land-banks at their disposal.

Also - when the oil industry was kicking off - oil prices was high - but when Spindletop was struck - prices fell.

As a result - oil companies lobbied their shareholders to allow them to bean production back as reserves = $ - even if you don't get it right away.

Regardinf this argument - turnover is flattery, profit is sanity.

I prefer - turnover is vanity, profit is sanity.

No opinion whatsoever on building materials, copper, plumbers etc

HOLA4425
Has the value of oil gone up? Yes. Has price of petrol at the pumps gone up? Yes. Surely you can see the parallels?

I'm no expert on plumbing or plumbing merchants, but I'm playing devils advocate on why someone may hold on to an appreciating asset.

I understand you're playing devil's advocate but surely you can appreciate that a plumbers merchant is not a dealer in stocks a trades and is there for his monthly livelyhood and the livelyhood of those he employs. He couldn't afford to hold on to stock on the premise that it will go up in value and needs to meet his costs.