House Price Crash Forum

London's "affordable Housing Exhibition" 2006

RichM

HOLA441

HPC's fave yummy mummy reports from London's "Affordable Housing Exhibition", held yesterday (1st Sept 2006) at the New Connaught Rooms, Covent Garden...

1. Despite the presence of unremittingly cheerful people behind the approx. 40 stalls, there was a very depressing stream of people, in their 20s right up to their 50s, many of whom had children in tow, all trying to get hold of the last 3-bed new build flat in Peckham. They did give us free pens. But this didn't really cheer anyone up.

2. One guy told me that there was very little subsidised rented flats for key workers as most of the housing asssociations now only do "home-buy", as it is cost-neutral on the assumption that they will always make a profit whenever the property is sold. They can then go on to use that money to build new properties etc.

3. Did speak to one sensible woman who was working for one of the HAs, asked her about subsidised rent. They only did home-buy, were we interested? Getting a bit frustrated now, no, we thought it was a bad time to buy. She agreed and was herself waiting for a crash!

4. One weird moment when went up to one of the stalls, couldn't help me. Realised that it was an HA that I (i.e. RichM's wife) used to give money to. Seems a bit weird that now I am a "successful" doctor, I am actually asking a charity I once gave money to as a medical student for help! The irony!

5. One woman, on hearing I was pregnant, has offered me a viewing on a subsidised flat in Cambersmell. So there's hope for us yet.

6.All the photos in the brochures are of young couples swilling champagne, none of the actual flats. Hmmm.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Sadly there's not enough affordable housing for key workers in London as far too much accommodation is being occupied by workshy shirkers who appear unable to use contraception. Westminster Council alone pays out £160m (yes one hundred and sixty million pounds!) a year to subsidise mostly economically inactive people to live in the most expensive area in Europe! Crazy isn't it!

HOLA444
HOLA445
Guest Alright Jack

"All the photos in the brochures are of young couples swilling champagne"

Great.

That is a clear sign, that they are advertising for ...

THE UNTHINKING and unblinking masses

Reminds me of Kunstler's remarks towards the end of the documentary film "End of Suburbia". He says (not in these words) that home selling now has become so abstract because there is nothing actually of substance in the development. No local assets, local community or economic interdependence or any real infrastructure for tangible settlement. The only real asset is a highway that you must travel to get to Wal Mart and to wherever you work. The homes are simply dormatories!

It is for this reason that the development is packaged and sold in abstract forms based sentiment, lifestyle or some cartoon of country living. In the latter case the development is usually named after the thing they destroyed to build it. For instance, Oak ridge means there are no longer any oaks there.

HOLA446

It is for this reason that the development is packaged and sold in abstract forms based sentiment, lifestyle or some cartoon of country living. In the latter case the development is usually named after the thing they destroyed to build it. For instance, Oak ridge means there are no longer any oaks there.

Or in some cases where never there at all..........

"Chalk Farm" just north of Camden in north london for example... there was never ever anything that might have resembled a "chalk farm" there......

HOLA447

I think this quote says it all about affordibility, and the likelyhood of this real-terms plateau (ie. prices to wages) being maintained indefinitely.

Pity the poor b*stards who are buying now with debt.

The really funny thing is that my dear 'ol mum finally said the magic words to me this am.

"Have you thought about buying somewhere outside of London, as a buy to let?"

How I laughed! It sounds so funny when your own mum says that to you. And that, ladies and gentlemen, could well signify the beginning of the crash - as I often say to her:

"[pointing at me] P H D [pointing at her] C S E"

HOLA448
HOLA449

The Government have recently unveiled the bid From Messrs Prescott Wayne for the Grenwich affordable housing for all project.

Despite not having won the bid construction of 10,000 units has already begun.

Speaking from The Family Home, Prescott Towers, John Prescott said "This is a new day for Britain, Labour should be measured on it results and action, and not the controversy meated out in the press, see it with your own eyes, Britian has a vibrant, successfull economy that is set to grow year on year."

Kenyan%20Refugee%20Camp.jpg

HOLA4410

I think this quote says it all about affordibility, and the likelyhood of this real-terms plateau (ie. prices to wages) being maintained indefinitely.

Pity the poor b*stards who are buying now with debt.

A mate of mine whose last foray into investment was to buy Viglen shares in March 2000 on the basis of advice read in the Daily Mirror's City Slickers column has just announced that he's off to one of those "buy property abroad" exhibitions to check out the investment potential.

If the start of the crash is eventually traced back to last week I will probably die laughing.

HOLA4411

A mate of mine whose last foray into investment was to buy Viglen shares in March 2000 on the basis of advice read in the Daily Mirror's City Slickers column has just announced that he's off to one of those "buy property abroad" exhibitions to check out the investment potential.

If the start of the crash is eventually traced back to last week I will probably die laughing.

Thanks for reporting back on this - we keep getting sent flyers for them and can never be bothered to go (rent plus mortgage = about the same as it would cost to buy somewhere nicer). There are never any 3 bed places - just 'lifestyle' rabbit hutches for singletons next to major roads. We are registered with Housing Options, and despite my frequent phone protests to stop wasting their time/paper, we are constantly invited to view lovely 250k studios in Woolwich. I suppose my two kids are expected to sleep under the sink?

HOLA4412

Westminster Council alone pays out £160m (yes one hundred and sixty million pounds!) a year to subsidise mostly economically inactive people to live in the most expensive area in Europe! Crazy isn't it!

Have you got a link for this ?

Personally I think that council housing should be given out on two criteria

1) Do you need it ? which gives you a right to an empty property anyway in the country.

2) Do you need a local property ?eg work in the area etc.

So that someone who works in the local Sainsburys gets priority over a teenage single mum who can do nothing any where.

Edited by iamnumerate

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Would a married mum get more priority? A very finely balanced set of morals you have, iamnumerate, to be able to finely slice need and contribution so.

<shudder> Deja vu.

Three things a) people would still get housing just not where they want B) if there is an empty flat next to a hospital who should get a nurse who has to commute 90 minutes on public transport (or lives in cramped over crowded accomodation) or a teenage mum who does not work c) no system is perfect why do you think the current system is less imperfect than this ?

I think the nurse I don't want her falling sleep at work or emmigrating. What do you think ?

One other question I would love to live in westminister but can not afford to. Why should I pay for others to do so ? Perhaps I should pay for their kids to go to private schools as well or drive BMWs

Edited by iamnumerate