House Price Crash Forum

A Good Investment

HOLA441

Was round a friends last night chatting, and turns out they had walked down to a new group of flats that are being built in worcester, at the mouth of worcester canal around a basin. Hundreds of appartments are being built there along with bars and resterants. GF shares a terrace in the area (total rent 500ukp a month), looking out the window at existing flats it feels like your in a very posh holiday resort.

Anyway prices for a 2 bedroom apartment start at 190k, the river facing apartments are alot more, but everyone seems to think this would be a good investment, and prices will go up. Quite a few of my friends in there 30's/40s are now buying flats for investment reasons, move to a new flat and looking to rent out there existing flat.

Last night this friend they would love to be able to afford to buy one of these flats, as it would be a great investment and would definatly go up in price, but he can afford to do it as he wouldnt be able to get a morgage to cover it.

IMHO, these flats are over priced and there are so many posh flats going up in worcester, if you have alot of flats how can they be special, how can they be executive? How can they double in price and be a good investment? How can they rent out for over £1000 a month when there are so many? How can they cost more than houses?

Silly flat prices in worcester :

city centre flat :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-584...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

Prices of houses :

http://www.houseprices.co.uk/e.php?q=wr11ns&n=10

posh flats by the canal:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-612...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

New posh flat in the same area, starting at 190k... going to pie in the sky prices....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-110...pa_n=3&tr_t=buy

If there is this much supply, can these flats be a good investment? Worcester is in the midlands 45 miles south of birmingham, nice place to live but these flats seem expensive in comparison to houses....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-436...pa_n=2&tr_t=buy

TTRTR and others what do you think?

Edited by moosetea

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

New builds per se aren't as bad as TTRTR would suggest but these ''executive'' flats are badder than bad!

Every town has too many of them especially Leeds and Manchester and they'll lose 40% of their value whatever the rest of the market does........

This is an example in my town.......IT's a good area of the town but in the same street you can buy a large Victorian terrace for this kind of money or detached new build.....Good area but immediate location iffy as back overlooks pub car park and Travel Inn and from the front all you can see is the side of the Crown Hotel...Neither of these are obvious in the sales brochures.

http://www.smartnewhomes.com/Search/Develo...0/gallery1.aspx

Edited by Michael

HOLA445
HOLA446

Surely it should be easy to quote to them lots of examples of people losing money on newbuild flats. Then challenge them to find recent examples of people making profits. Should be easy as lots of have gone up and hence it should be easy to find lots of examples of selling prices and asking rents.

But the whole thing just makes me thing that the crash is some way off yet. There's just too much positive sentiment out there.

Billy Shears

HOLA447
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Point them to the Daily Mail article about the couple who lost their deposit when the value of their Birmingham new build 'investment flat' collapsed.

HOLA448

Was round a friends last night chatting, and turns out they had walked down to a new group of flats that are being built in worcester, at the mouth of worcester canal around a basin. Hundreds of appartments are being built there along with bars and resterants. GF shares a terrace in the area (total rent 500ukp a month), looking out the window at existing flats it feels like your in a very posh holiday resort.

Is that the Diglis basin? It also fronts on to the Severn so I think I'd be a bit worried about flooding down there. Entire town centre was submerged for days on end in winter of 2000-2001.

HOLA449

Surely it should be easy to quote to them lots of examples of people losing money on newbuild flats. Then challenge them to find recent examples of people making profits. Should be easy as lots of have gone up and hence it should be easy to find lots of examples of selling prices and asking rents.

But the whole thing just makes me thing that the crash is some way off yet. There's just too much positive sentiment out there.

Billy Shears

yes, it's the mindset of the average Joe Bloggs that determines the market ..NOT the mindset of the type of people who post on web forums about house prices....

Most of the young people i work with are upbeat about the housing market and want to buy asap.

Now that everyone is an 'executive' in the UK who is doing all the work?

Eastern European 20-somethings :lol:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The "work", or lack of it, is all part of Gordon's "Miracle Economy." You just buy a house/flat and watch it go up in value. The more you buy the more you make. You don't work for the money you just borrow it from a bank. Truly, truly, I say unto ye, its a miracle!

HOLA4412

Is that the Diglis basin? It also fronts on to the Severn so I think I'd be a bit worried about flooding down there. Entire town centre was submerged for days on end in winter of 2000-2001.

yes, it is diglis basin, its about 15m above the normal river level.

HOLA4413

"refuse executive" - binman

"telesales executive" - call centre operator

"environmental health executive" - rat catcher.

"debt enforcement executive" - baliff.

"Inland Revenue executive" - untrained lobotomised moron (sorry, couldn't resist). :P

HOLA4414

Point them to the Daily Mail article about the couple who lost their deposit when the value of their Birmingham new build 'investment flat' collapsed.

Thing is, the price hasn't collapsed - it's had a minor downward "twinge" in which they lost 20 grand. Wait until the sh1t hits the fan and then see what these flats are worth... :o

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I don't do new builds. It's like buying a new car, 20% lost when driving off the forecourt etc.

I know I ought to change the record, but I just have to make this point again: The smart money is buying abroad. Anyone looking to aquire UK stock now really is not an investor. People form all over Europe are investing abroad - this is where the momentum is. Im currently looking at off - plan in Saidia Morocco (the new Cote D'Azur). I only invest 40% now, the rest in 3 years and capital growth will be 25% + pa, no income tax on the rent, 20% cgt over £60 k gains reducing to ZERO after 10 years, Spain Morocco tunnel being built.

THE UK IS A MATURE MARKET AND SPAIN IS IN DEATH THROWS.

See my thread in 'investing abroad' - Morocco.

Edited by dogbox

HOLA4417

IMHO, these flats are over priced and there are so many posh flats going up in worcester, if you have alot of flats how can they be special, how can they be executive? How can they double in price and be a good investment? How can they rent out for over £1000 a month when there are so many? How can they cost more than houses?

Saw a mate at the weekend also who live in Guildford. Apparently there's a new block of "exec" flats in the centre near the town hall that have had to follow the new gov initiative to house a certain % of council residents. Apparently all the posh BTLs are up in arms as the "council residents" are taking over place by inviting their pikey mates into the shared pool & having all weekend parties, dealing all sorts of goodies etc.

We laughed all the way to the pub.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Saw a mate at the weekend also who live in Guildford. Apparently there's a new block of "exec" flats in the centre near the town hall that have had to follow the new gov initiative to house a certain % of council residents. Apparently all the posh BTLs are up in arms as the "council residents" are taking over place by inviting their pikey mates into the shared pool & having all weekend parties, dealing all sorts of goodies etc.

We laughed all the way to the pub.

But I thought it was meant to be like Pygmalion with the young executive professionals in the role of Henry Higgins and the council tenants in the role of Eliza Dolittle...

Billy Shears

HOLA4420

But I thought it was meant to be like Pygmalion with the young executive professionals in the role of Henry Higgins and the council tenants in the role of Eliza Dolittle...

Billy Shears

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, they have also trashed 2 lifts & pissed all over in the underground exec car park.

HOLA4421