House Price Crash Forum

Has anyone noticed York house prices?

HOLA441

Can't believe how much properties are in York.

Apart from London is this place the poster child for the top of the bubble?

The rents are astronomical and quite frankly as far as I can tell utterly disgusting.

There are 1 bed studio apartments with a rental price of £1,500 per month. WTF???

Did a serach of 2 bed properties within a 1 mile radius for rent and here are the results:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^1498&maxBedrooms=2&radius=1.0&index=72&propertyTypes=&mustHave=&dontShow=&furnishTypes=&keywords=

Does anyone here live in York or know anyone that does?

If so, can they inform me of the job market here and nearby?

They all must be on bankers salaries to be paying these prices.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

It has a top Uni, many people fall in love with the place and live there while working as far away as London. University staff/spin offs and there are lots of rich foreign students from China too. It used to be a cheap place to live.

Edited by sta100

HOLA444
HOLA445
2 minutes ago, sta100 said:

It has a top Uni, many people fall in love with the place and live there while working as far away as London. University staff/spin offs and there are lots of rich foreign students from China too. It used to be a cheap place to live.

The university aspect I can understand.

But other places up and down the country have them and although this boosts prices it still does not explain the high prices.

With a population of over 150,000 it should be able to absorb those students and others without prices going into the stratosphere.

Wondering if many wealthy  foreign buyers have purchased there?

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Nice place for a dirty weekend on the odd occasion, but way too expensive to live there..

Try Doncaster 😁

Lol.

Back to my hometown?

No thanks Sackboi.

I looked at York because was thinking of going back to Yorkshire although not in the South of my origins.

Not with those prices, though. 

They can shove it.

HOLA447
6 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

The university aspect I can understand.

But other places up and down the country have them and although this boosts prices it still does not explain the high prices.

With a population of over 150,000 it should be able to absorb those students and others without prices going into the stratosphere.

Wondering if many wealthy  foreign buyers have purchased there?

Yes but it's also a beautiful place as I say many graduates have remained there and  York hasn't been able to absorb them over the past decade. A lot of students come from money remember so something of a BOMAD city.

Edited by sta100

HOLA448

**ALL BILLS INCLUDED FOR AN ADDITIONAL £250 PER MONTH - AVAILABLE ONLY FOR STAYS OF 1-3 MONTHS**

How the hell does that even work if you decide no bills included? Most utilities are on 12 month contracts surely?

HOLA449
3 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Lol.

Back to my hometown?

No thanks Sackboi.

I looked at York because was thinking of going back to Yorkshire although not in the South of my origins.

Not with those prices, though. 

They can shove it.

Absolutely agree. I’m often asked if I’m likely to return to Donny and the answer is a resounding ‘NO’.

York is a strange one indeed though - you don’t have to go that far out of the suburbs to get back to predominantly Yorkshire normality. The Vale of York and surrounding villages, or the void between York and the North York moors is an area we have considered and still are..

Edited by Sackboii
wrong word. damn iphone..

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes but it's also a beautiful place as I say many graduates have remained there and  York hasn't been able to absorb them over the past decade. A lot of students come from money remember.

True but there are many nice places similar that have not experienced the same results.

Winchester, Exeter & Chester for example.

HOLA4412
Just now, The Angry Capitalist said:

True but there are many nice places similar that have not experienced the same results.

Winchester, Exeter & Chester for example.

WInchester and Chester are crap Uni's. York is 1.45 hour to London which is significantly less than Exeter and has Leeds nearby.

HOLA4413
4 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Absolutely agree. I’m often asked if I’m likely to return to Donny and the answer is a resounding ‘NO’.

York is a strange one indeed though - you don’t have to go that far out of the suburbs to get back to predominantly Yorkshire normality. The Vale of York and surrounding villages, or the void between York and the North York moors is an area we have considered and still are..

I tell you a place to watch.

Scarborough.

It's not the best of places but not bad either.

Wages are low and there is high unemployment. The place has been in decline like a lot of seaside places over the decades.

But there are no Londoners or arms dealers or general money people buying there.

It might be a place to look at in a few years as prices will be cheap there, I reckon.

HOLA4414

WInchester and Chester are crap Uni's. York is 1.45 hour to London which is significantly less than Exeter and has Leeds nearby.

Is it really?

Did not know London was 1.45 hours on the train.

That explains it, then.

Commuters working in London and many Londoners buying there. Probably a lot of second & third home buyers like in Cornwall.

HOLA4415
3 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Scarborough

Ah.. my childhood memories are full of Scarborough, and fond ones at that.

Never considered it, but might.

Whitby is another silly place nowadays. It was always full of fond memories too but it’s apparently full of holiday homes now, and chubby expensive, for now.. Let’s see.

Edited by Sackboii
to —> too

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
2 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Ah.. my childhood memories are full of Scarborough, and fond ones at that.

Never considered it, but might.

Whitby is another silly place nowadays. It was always full of fond memories too but it’s apparently full of holiday homes now, and chubby expensive, for now.. Let’s see.

Yes.

Whitby is nice but it has got the York treatment.

HOLA4418
2 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Did not know London was 1.45 hours on the train

I’d never done the maths but don’t think there’s much in the way of stops past Doncaster.

Peterborough, Grantham, perhaps Newark, then Doncaster and on to York.

Out of this list, you can see why York is more desirable..

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, Sackboii said:

I’d never done the maths but don’t think there’s much in the way of stops past Doncaster.

Peterborough, Grantham, perhaps Newark, then Doncaster and on to York.

Out of this list, you can see why York is more desirable..

Lol.

Not really any comparison is there?

I hear Peterborough is bad. Worse than Doncaster by the sounds of it.

HOLA4420
7 minutes ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

Is it really?

Did not know London was 1.45 hours on the train.

That explains it, then.

Commuters working in London and many Londoners buying there. Probably a lot of second & third home buyers like in Cornwall.

Yes and subsequently you get middle class pockets with good schools. It's a very good place to raise children.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

York looks pretty but there's a few things.....

Traffic is a bloody nightmare at times, Christmas markets for example you can get stuck for hours.

Its become the stag / hen capital so go out after 6 and its mayhem. I used to go out there for a nice meal of an evening now I don't and I heard a few like minded folk say the same. The level of drunken mayhem recently of was off the charts due to the races. There was folk lying in the street at 3 in the afternoon absolutely hammered. 

Its surrounded by places where you can get the same house for half the price then if you want a day out in york just book a hotel they are still pretty cheap.

Shh don't tell anyone about scabby it is on the up. Only thing is if you bought a house there its a gamble as much of it is really sh+t atm but it is slowly starting to get gentrified. Itll prob be really nice in  about 5 - 10 years or if the economy takes a sh+t it may just collapse again.

HOLA4423
10 minutes ago, Sandwiches33 said:

York looks pretty but there's a few things.....

Traffic is a bloody nightmare at times, Christmas markets for example you can get stuck for hours.

Its become the stag / hen capital so go out after 6 and its mayhem. I used to go out there for a nice meal of an evening now I don't and I heard a few like minded folk say the same. The level of drunken mayhem recently of was off the charts due to the races. There was folk lying in the street at 3 in the afternoon absolutely hammered. 

Its surrounded by places where you can get the same house for half the price then if you want a day out in york just book a hotel they are still pretty cheap.

Shh don't tell anyone about scabby it is on the up. Only thing is if you bought a house there its a gamble as much of it is really sh+t atm but it is slowly starting to get gentrified. Itll prob be really nice in  about 5 - 10 years or if the economy takes a sh+t it may just collapse again.

Interesting.

So York might be the next Blackpool? That would be fun to see.

There will be many places like Scabby to move to going forward.

The free money era is over so some places will get affordable.

London will probably always be expensive like other major cities.

But small to medium size towns and some seaside resorts will get attractive around the country.

HOLA4424
1 hour ago, The Angry Capitalist said:

I tell you a place to watch.

Scarborough.

It's not the best of places but not bad either.

Wages are low and there is high unemployment. The place has been in decline like a lot of seaside places over the decades.

But there are no Londoners or arms dealers or general money people buying there.

It might be a place to look at in a few years as prices will be cheap there, I reckon.

My brother was copper there 20 odd years ago, full of junkies and he spent his time scraping up suicides from the bottom of the cliffs- might have changed mind :)

Edited by debtlessmanc

HOLA4425