House Price Crash Forum

Never knowingly under-leased - John Lewis moves to rent out its furniture Chain targets shoppers such as millennials for whom renting goods rather than owning them is normal

HOLA441
15 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but among my circle in SE England the under-45s now have a deeply ingrained make-do attitude about stuff for the house. When I see old people in the Daily Mail comments section blathering on about how materialistic the young are I just feel puzzled, have they actually been to the typical 20-30something's home and seen what it's like inside? Cheap/secondhand furniture (no point buying expensive stuff when you might not be there in a year), no big home improvement projects (house belongs to the landlord) etc. I saw some bit of marketing guff where they were dividing the population up into 'tribes' and they described this group's lifestyle as 'like the 1970s with internet' and it's not a million miles from the truth.

They DM property owe will also be very surprised as they see renters hand i n their notice, leaving the LL with a void to fill.

A major problem of having the young renting is that if hey lose their jobs then its 1 month and they are off.

A large percentage of housing London/Se is 1 month away from a disaster.

There's no struggling through or cutting back to pay the LL mortgage.

Lose your job? Poof! Off.

HOLA442
10 minutes ago, spyguy said:

They DM property owe will also be very surprised as they see renters hand i n their notice, leaving the LL with a void to fill.

A major problem of having the young renting is that if hey lose their jobs then its 1 month and they are off.

A large percentage of housing London/Se is 1 month away from a disaster.

There's no struggling through or cutting back to pay the LL mortgage.

Lose your job? Poof! Off.

It is unbelievable how many time i've had to point this 2nd order effect out to those who claim "middle class etc will be fine if the poor lot lose their jobs".

No wonder this country is drowning in debt.  1+1 = 1000000000000

HOLA443

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/ukprivaterentedsector/2018

• The number of households in the private rented sector in the UK increased from 2.8 million in 2007 to 4.5 million in 2017, an increase of 1.7 million (63%) households.

• Younger households are more likely to rent privately than older households; in 2017 those in the 25 to 34 years age group represented the largest group (35%).

• Households in the private rented sector are getting older; between 2007 and 2017, the proportion of household reference persons aged 45 to 54 increased from 11% to 16% while those aged 16 to 24 dropped from 17% to 12%.

• As at financial year ending (FYE) 2017, 62% of households in the private rented sector in the UK had spent under three years in the same accommodation and only a small proportion (4%) had been in the same residence for 20 years or longer.

HOLA444

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43504015

Theres a lot of hot rental money in the UK. I'd guess the actual size could be substantially more than 4.5m.

Theres limited  London equity, looking to cash up when kids start arriving.  Ist will have been bled dry io btl lls. Officially theres 2m private renters in London.

The LL all have io mortgages. The only equity is hpi. If they sll have to sell - and it's looking that way, then itll rapidly evaporate.

Edited by spyguy

HOLA445
HOLA446
30 minutes ago, Locke said:

rent wife ;)

How much does that cost a month........and for how long?

Edit to say......how long and how much to rent a husband or anyone for that matter......even workers are rented for a period of time now....?

Edited by winkie