House Price Crash Forum

Never knowingly under-leased - John Lewis moves to rent out its furniture Chain targets shoppers such as millennials for whom renting goods rather than owning them is normal

Weren’t we joking about this happening the other day??

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/15/never-knowingly-under-leased-john-lewis-moves-to-rent-out-its-furniture

It’s typically been the preserve of landlords and property dressers trying to sell a home, but furniture rental could be about to go mainstream. From Monday, high street favourite John Lewis will be renting out sofas, sideboards and desks, as part of the plan to remodel its business announced last month.

Tenants who are in short-term lets, or shoppers who want to try before they buy, can choose between 50 different items from the retailer’s range. Prices start at £17 a month for a desk or chair rented for 12 months, and rise for larger goods on shorter contracts.

After about 2 years the furniture is paid for and you can opt to keep it.

Much modern furniture is so badly made it will barely last 2 years, a lot of stuff in John Lewis is no better than Ikea.

But you can see the logic, it will become like mobile phones - when the two years are up they send you a new dining table or whatever to replace the worn out one and you just keep paying the same monthly fee.

Where will this all end? renting underpants?

What is best a lump sum with no where to go, no place to store, devaluing much faster than before over time.....or rent, a continuous rental income increasing with or over and above inflation?.....rent home, rent car, rent furniture, rent entertainment, rent phone, rent job, rent holiday, rent TV, radio rentals......?

9 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

After about 2 years the furniture is paid for and you can opt to keep it.

Much modern furniture is so badly made it will barely last 2 years, a lot of stuff in John Lewis is no better than Ikea.

But you can see the logic, it will become like mobile phones - when the two years are up they send you a new dining table or whatever to replace the worn out one and you just keep paying the same monthly fee.

Where will this all end? renting underpants?

I’m seeing this on more sites. Monthly payments for a tshirt? D2C98384-BAF7-4A1B-8625-E6B4CDCECA6C.thumb.jpeg.e0eaba4604300befdddbda0d73f3710d.jpeg

Just now, winkie said:

What is best a lump sum with no where to go, no place to store, devaluing much faster than before over time.....or rent, a continuous rental income increasing with or over and above inflation?.....rent home, rent car, rent furniture, rent entertainment, rent phone, rent job, rent holiday, rent TV, radio rentals......?

Watch out winkie you’ve given someone an idea to rent their future sex bot...

1 minute ago, PeanutButter said:

Watch out winkie you’ve given someone an idea to rent their future sex bot...

Rent and will never own......some prefer not to ever own because they get bored quickly or they don't know what they actually want....owning brings with it restrictions and responsibilities.....?

13 minutes ago, winkie said:

Rent and will never own......some prefer not to ever own because they get bored quickly or they don't know what they actually want....owning brings with it restrictions and responsibilities.....?

Back in my day we knew how to fix our sex bot girlfriends. These young whippersnappers probably don’t have a clue. 

4 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Back in my day we knew how to fix our sex bot girlfriends. These young whippersnappers probably don’t have a clue. 

They have a clue....they know what they want and what they can have are two different questions...they have learned to love what they can have...... without renting.?

£17 to rent a chair for 12 months - so a total cost of £204 to rent a chair. You could buy an office chair for £150.

Do they collect it for free at the end or do you have to pay for delivery and collection too?

And it’s more per month if you rent for a shorter period?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/uk-house-prices-stamp-duty-holiday-leads-to-bidding-wars-is-this-the-rishi-rebound-3bjmmlrkl

Before lockdown the average asking price of a property in the UK was £260,000; today it is £290,000. Likewise, in mid-February there were 28,420 transactions a week; this compares with 37,799 last week, according to data compiled by TwentyCi, a property market analyst, for the Bank of England. Forget the Boris bounce, welcome to the Rishi rebound.

2 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

Usually resetting the pocket sensor with cash gets blow mode going again. 

1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

£17 to rent a chair for 12 months - so a total cost of £204 to rent a chair. You could buy an office chair for £150.

Do they collect it for free at the end or do you have to pay for delivery and collection too?

And it’s more per month if you rent for a shorter period?

It looks like a 12 month rental, if you extend for a second year then at the end you end up owning it.

So really it's a hire purchase with the option to bail out half way through.

Sounds like a fooking scam to me, just like PCP deals on p1sh new cars. 

Fook that, I can buy a decent second hand Merc for £5k, which is the initial payment on many new sh1tboxes, plus £300 per month for another 3 years.

They see them coming and the retards lap it up.

Edited by Social Justice League
9 hours ago, PeanutButter said:

high street favourite John Lewis will be renting out sideboards

Tenants who are in short-term lets

No room in the typical private rental for space-hog furniture like a sideboard as private rentals tend to be at the lower end of the housing stock. These stuff merchants are in big trouble, the older generations with the bigger houses have already filled them to the brim with stuff and the youngish who would normally be into the nesting stage of life are making do with landlord/secondhand ebay furniture.

Just now, Dorkins said:

No room in the typical private rental for space-hog furniture like a sideboard as private rentals tend to be at the lower end of the housing stock. These stuff merchants are in big trouble, the older generations with the bigger houses have already filled them to the brim with stuff and the youngish who would normally be into the nesting stage of life are making do with landlord/secondhand ebay furniture.

100% agree.  Buy as little as possible and bleed every single business white.

10 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

100% agree.  Buy as little as possible and bleed every single business white.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but among my circle in SE England the under-45s now have a deeply ingrained make-do attitude about stuff for the house. When I see old people in the Daily Mail comments section blathering on about how materialistic the young are I just feel puzzled, have they actually been to the typical 20-30something's home and seen what it's like inside? Cheap/secondhand furniture (no point buying expensive stuff when you might not be there in a year), no big home improvement projects (house belongs to the landlord) etc. I saw some bit of marketing guff where they were dividing the population up into 'tribes' and they described this group's lifestyle as 'like the 1970s with internet' and it's not a million miles from the truth.

Edited by Dorkins
8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country but among my circle in SE England the under-45s now have a deeply ingrained make-do attitude about stuff for the house. When I see old people in the Daily Mail comments section blathering on about how materialistic the young are I just feel puzzled, have they actually been to the typical 20-30something's home and seen what it's like inside? Cheap/secondhand furniture (no point buying expensive stuff when you might not be there in a year), no big home improvement projects (house belongs to the landlord) etc.

100% agree, it's the "older generations" that care about new kitchens, bathrooms and sideboards, as they see them as a "Status Symbol".......lol............lol

Same as cars and holidays.  These gammon rolls don't realise that the lights went out on them around 1989.

Edited by Social Justice League
15 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Sounds like a fooking scam to me, just like PCP deals on p1sh new cars. 

Fook that, I can buy a decent second hand Merc for £5k, which is the initial payment on many new sh1tboxes, plus £300 per month for another 3 years.

They see them coming and the retards lap it up.

Friend of mine has lost his job and finding it difficult to get a new job. Massively scaled back expenditure, but can't escape the £500 odd a month for the car. 

The car that he no longer drives as he has no job to drive to.