House Price Crash Forum

Finally a board game I understand - Monopoly for Milllennials

HOLA441
HOLA442

Cold. No avocado's in the box art.

Edit. I was actually playing monopoly with my kids at the weekend, they play the kids version and are trying the adult version. I was sitting there thinking that this game probably played at least a small part in the acquisitive nature of boomers. 

Even on a new version of the game the chance cards have an interestingly light hearted view of criminal offences, particularly drink driving. 

Edited by regprentice

HOLA443

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_board_game_Monopoly

The earliest known version of Monopoly, known as The Landlord's Game, was designed by an American, Elizabeth Magie, and first patented in 1904 but existed as early as 1902.[1][2] Magie, a follower of Henry George, originally intended The Landlord's Game to illustrate the economic consequences of Ricardo's Law of Economic rent and the Georgist concepts of economic privilege and land value taxation.[3]

HOLA444
HOLA445
5 hours ago, regprentice said:

I was actually playing monopoly with my kids at the weekend, they play the kids version and are trying the adult version. I was sitting there thinking that this game probably played at least a small part in the acquisitive nature of boomers.

I don't think the boomer generation are actually more acquisitive than other generations in terms of property - I think the only difference is that they had the unique economic circumstances to actually be able to do it.  The generations before and after would I'm sure have done the same, if only the combination of house prices and their own income growth allowed it in a similar way.

HOLA446
On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:22, regprentice said:

Edit. I was actually playing monopoly with my kids at the weekend, they play the kids version and are trying the adult version. I was sitting there thinking that this game probably played at least a small part in the acquisitive nature of boomers

I have said this before...brainwashing that the way to win is to buy as much property as possible as quickly as possible then extract rents.

HOLA447
HOLA448