Home ownership has risen for the first time in 30 years - BBC

HOLA441
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46649565

Not sure if you are referring to this propaganda being put out by the BBC which I just had to share. If ever I thought that the BBC's job was to send out it's own narrative on housing it is now, and I found the BBC to be now so much more of a mouthpiece for someone I am not totally sure who it is yet. 

The message to young people is the "RIGHT" thing to do is sacrifice, borrow huge debt, to those taxpayers paying for the schemes is that it is worthwhile to be part of their dream, say anything as long as they are not critical of a housing system that we all know is broken, never anything about building more homes.

Seriously this is the most deplorable thing I have seen the BBC do, I don't trust any of the brainwashing messages they send out, liberalism and being a  leftie is the new fascism in the UK

Edited by localhero1983

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

If landlords are leaving the market the number of homeowners will inevitably increase, because homes have to belong to someone.

There’s been a suggestion recently that landlords are leaving, although I don’t know how solid the actual evidence is, and this would be consistent with that.

Edited by BorrowToLeech

HOLA446

I mentioned this elsewhere. I did notice a small but noticeable increase in landlords selling, particularly typical FTB homes, like 2 bed terraced houses. And these types of houses are leading the price fall.

We can talk for eternity about whether the young should buy now or not, but the reality is, and I genuinely believe, that FTB demand is so strong that the only things holding it back, perversely, are the limit of government subsidies and how much the banks would lend. So if the government went for HTB for all houses (not just new) or the banks went for 10 x annual income, the young would buy it without batting an eye lid.

Which is why I do not think there will be a big crash before 2023 when HTB (hoefully) is withdrawn. 

And the question for HPCer is that whether you want to put your life on hold for another 5 years.   

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
6 minutes ago, peter_2008 said:

I mentioned this elsewhere. I did notice a small but noticeable increase in landlords selling, particularly typical FTB homes, like 2 bed terraced houses. And these types of houses are leading the price fall.

We can talk for eternity about whether the young should buy now or not, but the reality is, and I genuinely believe, that FTB demand is so strong that the only things holding it back, perversely, are the limit of government subsidies and how much the banks would lend. So if the government went for HTB for all houses (not just new) or the banks went for 10 x annual income, the young would buy it without batting an eye lid.

Which is why I do not think there will be a big crash before 2023 when HTB (hoefully) is withdrawn. 

And the question for HPCer is that whether you want to put your life on hold for another 5 years.   

Life on hold :rolleyes:.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Ah Life on Hold once again.  Somehow renting prevents you from living. 

Sure. 

Rather rent for a few more years than participate in this banana republic / lifetime of crippling debt / housing ladder.  With things as they are right now and a skill set that's in global demand, I'm feeling rather good about having my "life on hold" :-)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Taking on so much debt that you will have your face in your hands at 3 AM in the early hours for 50% of your mortgaged life worrying, as workers and as taxpayers paying for uneducated  non working mothers with 4 kids you will struggle to find the right time to have your own  children.You will hand over such a high percentage of your working wages to live in what so many Housing Benefit claimants have for free.

Oh yes, the magic of homeownership they try hard to sell, I personally see them playing mind games with young people by saying better get in there before you are left behind.

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, localhero1983 said:

Taking on so much debt that you will have your face in your hands at 3 AM in the early hours for 50% of your mortgaged life worrying, as workers and as taxpayers paying for uneducated  non working mothers with 4 kids you will struggle to find the right time to have your own  children.You will hand over such a high percentage of your working wages to live in what so many Housing Benefit claimants have for free.

Oh yes, the magic of homeownership they try hard to sell, I personally see them playing mind games with young people by saying better get in there before you are left behind.

I spent about half of the last decade awake at three in the morning stressing about paying just shy of ten grand per year to live in a house that was increasing in cost by about ten grand a year.  Must admit that this did not make me feel particularly financially literate at the time.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That's because you're not.

Of that there is no doubt. But the point was that renting is a bit rubbish. It just is. I once got charged about 200 quid to re-surface a driveway after one of my cars developed an oil leak. If I owned the place I just wouldn't have given a crp. That sense that you're always on the hook for something just niggles away.

HOLA4425
4 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Of that there is no doubt. But the point was that renting is a bit rubbish. It just is. I once got charged about 200 quid to re-surface a driveway after one of my cars developed an oil leak. If I owned the place I just wouldn't have given a crp. That sense that you're always on the hook for something just niggles away.

What did your legal advisor say?