House Price Crash Forum

Vinyl resurgence

MrPin

HOLA441
5 minutes ago, workingpoor said:

I had Stanton 500's and Numark Phat Trak cartridges did the job but wasn't much cop for scratching though ;)

Yes i played mostly electro / trance and US house and quite a few tracks required pitching up to sound right if you know what i mean, also the art of mixing can create a whole new tune in and of itself, where pitch control comes in, i also liked to play 2 copies of the same record and use my finger to tap the platter on one deck setting it out slightly, gives a great "double kick" to the beats i think its called "flanging" or "phasing" 

This is the "paradox" of me ;)

Even when clubbing I'd hear things and think "That's playing ever so slightly fast" (AKA "miserable git") - this happens on YouTube where someone has some incredibly rare dance tune they've copied from some dreadful turntable and it's playing just a tiny bit too fast which annoys me intensely.

The "art" of DJ'ing slipped away with digital as it made certain skills easier for anyone to master.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/08/djs-laptop-ban-california-dance-music-technology

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
33 minutes ago, DTMark said:

This is the "paradox" of me ;)

Even when clubbing I'd hear things and think "That's playing ever so slightly fast" (AKA "miserable git") - this happens on YouTube where someone has some incredibly rare dance tune they've copied from some dreadful turntable and it's playing just a tiny bit too fast which annoys me intensely.

The "art" of DJ'ing slipped away with digital as it made certain skills easier for anyone to master.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/08/djs-laptop-ban-california-dance-music-technology

I Worked very hard for my mixing skills, my Neighbours hated me lol 

Good comments on that link

HOLA443

I'm sure someone told me that there is a technology available now that can play a vinyl record without a stylus.

I was told it is some sort of camera system that follows the grooves in the track and works out the audio that it represents.

Is this true - and if so, is it any good..?

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA444
3 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I'm sure someone told me that there is a technology available now that can play a vinyl record without a stylus.

I was told it is some sort of camera system that follows the grooves in the track and works out the audio that it represents.

XYY

It can probably be done, but it is unnatural, like warm Broon, in a pint glass, so Pin does not approve.

HOLA445
9 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

There was one that did that in the 80's with a laser iirc. That wasn't much good and I don't have high hopes for any modern version.

HOLA446
10 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

It's some sort of laser thing. I've never seen one in person though

HOLA447

There is a very, very expensive laser turntable produced in Japan.  One problem with the technology is that the laser 'reads' specs of dust as well as the undulations on the record so unless your records are scrupulously clean its a complete waste of time.

HOLA448
23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

It can probably be done, but it is unnatural, like warm Broon, in a pint glass, so Pin does not approve.

:)

Perfect analogy Pinny. 

Speaking as someone who would bork at a pint-glass full of warm Broon, I guess that I don't approve of it either.

Thankfully, the one I'm currently chugging direct from the bottle - as I don't actually own a half-glass - has been in the fridge since 11 o'clock this morning.

The star on the back label has turned a lovely shade of bluey-grey...

;)

XYY

HOLA449
2 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

:)

Perfect analogy Pinny. 

Speaking as someone who would bork at a pint-glass full of warm Broon, I guess that I don't approve of it either.

Thankfully, the one I'm currently chugging direct from the bottle - as I don't actually own a half-glass - has been in the fridge since 11 o'clock this morning.

The star on the back label has turned a lovely shade of bluey-grey...

;)

XYY

Man up dude! You need a half pint "sleever" as we say down 'ere, for just those occasions, like weddings and funerals. Broon should be cold and gassy like yer women!

You shouldn't over chill southern ale mind.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Perhaps should have hung onto my vinyl, but my uncluttered philosophy and dislike of duplication wasn't having it. Also would rather fit in well with the 1969 house, a nice teak stereogram. And I am a bit of a retrophile or whatever you call it.

What goes around, come around; literally in the case of vinyl...........

couple-using-digital-tablet-listening-to

HOLA4413
On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:06 AM, DTMark said:

I really rather like that. I wouldn't pay that much for it though..

My Sinitta and Bananarama LPs aren't worth that kind of money ;)

Coming back to an earlier comment - until fairly recently, so far as LPs go (never bought many) The Pointer Sisters might have been considered the "high watermark" of quality.

Tbh DTMark never heard of that group, worthy of its own thread .........Great Music You have Never Heard; musicality is excellent. I guess £1,100 because you get something physical to what is presumably a rare  product of a Cult group. Also like this one.........

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The mention of this group has made me fire up Tidal and have a look at what content is on there.

No MQA Masters sadly, but I'm listening to the 16/44 of their top tracks. It's described as "prog-rock".

Now as my musical mentor may elucidate that seems to be my "thing". My "secondary genre".

"Is It You?" sounds like a group called "Lamb".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Mark - I must contest this, not everyone can DJ even with digital, sure people can mix with Sync now on many applications but there is now so much out there the possibilities are endless and continue to evolve.

With the Pioneer Nexus 2000's it 'is 'easy' to mix I accept that, but you still have to rock a crowd, select the right tracks, loop a track, filter out before a breakdown, use Ableton live and use clips, external sound effects, drum machines. Tech is a huge game changer, I must admit I used to be heavily into vinyl - like a lot - like too much, then I woke up one day I though why am I carrying all this gear around when I can store all my stuff on 2 X USB and cloud.

The only problem with my stance (i feel) is a lot of very very good records are now being produced as vinyl-only, which means I miss out on a lot of great great tracks, this is where my argument breaks down. Just for reference guys what I am chatting about is the house/techno world - rock/indie or whatever I don't really know about.

HOLA4420
11 hours ago, workingpoor said:

Well talk of the devil:

http://mixmag.net/read/technics-unveils-new-sl-1210gr-model-news

New SL1200/1210 relaunched

£1299!!!!!! crikes, i bought my 1200's for £350 each back in 2001

that's probably inflation. I bought a TV for 600. The recent one cost the same, and it's much bigger.

HOLA4421
15 hours ago, Isambard said:

Mark - I must contest this, not everyone can DJ even with digital, sure people can mix with Sync now on many applications but there is now so much out there the possibilities are endless and continue to evolve.

With the Pioneer Nexus 2000's it 'is 'easy' to mix I accept that, but you still have to rock a crowd, select the right tracks, loop a track, filter out before a breakdown, use Ableton live and use clips, external sound effects, drum machines. Tech is a huge game changer, I must admit I used to be heavily into vinyl - like a lot - like too much, then I woke up one day I though why am I carrying all this gear around when I can store all my stuff on 2 X USB and cloud.

The only problem with my stance (i feel) is a lot of very very good records are now being produced as vinyl-only, which means I miss out on a lot of great great tracks, this is where my argument breaks down. Just for reference guys what I am chatting about is the house/techno world - rock/indie or whatever I don't really know about.

Quite so, in that the best DJ is one who watches and assesses the crowd, can feel the mood, can play to and *with* the crowd, not *at* them.

Is new music vinyl only? I used to be able to get tracks on vinyl white-labels back in the day which I'd play in the car (on recorded tapes) which my mates used to like, and find they couldn't get since they were vinyl only. But that was a long time ago :) I tend to find things are often digital only these days?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Archived