House Price Crash Forum

Vinyl resurgence

MrPin

HOLA441

Apparently music on vinyl is not dead. I bought a vinyl LP for a mate of mine at Xmas, because he has a decent record deck and the amplifiers and speakers to make use of it.

Now we got talking about the current popularity of vinyl, and decided that a USB record deck doesn't do the job. Why digitise the real thing? Is it a hipster fad? Or just nostalgia for times you never lived through?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Ha!

I am dj of 16 years I now no longer play out but only yesterday I sold all my records well the final lot. Sold most on discogs - some going for 50 each (only a few of those)

I am now fully digital and use Traktor. On the rare occasion thatI play out I use CDJ's and a USB stick. 

I was big into vinyl until about 3 years ago, I then decided as much as its cool (it is) as much as its fun (it is) its also a complete waste of money, its environmentally unfriendly and you can back you digital tunes up.

I have kept literally 6 records just for sentimental reasons but the rest have gone.

Give it 5 years and it will no longer be cool for the hipsters. I also wanted to cash in the fad so sold.

That said lots of labels in the house and techno world still produce vinyl only records (and usually very good cuts)

Its my favourite subject - I love minimal techno - I also like Rock etc.

I will stop now.

HOLA444

Please do not stop Mr Isambard. I have a couple of boxes of vinyl LPs. I should get the deck out again. Not a Technics 1200, as I was not a DJ/mixer, just a Rega 3.

HOLA445
HOLA446
18 minutes ago, 200p said:

I think digital music will be "block chained". I.e. every single download is verified by each music player. I'd keep any digital downloads, off grid, because one day they will be DRMed like video games.

I agree - I have an extensive back cat of rock - who, bowie, seep, neil young etc for that very reason....

HOLA447

Its such an expensive hobby really, it was fun and I must confess going down the record shop and spending what you earnt in the bar the other night is missed. Its like everything though, its all gone online, records shops other than London are fading, even music shops are  - it is a shame but its the future.

Buying records now imo is very luddite - having said that I was completely the opposite only a few years ago.

HOLA448
HOLA449

who would buy these new players

We're talking 10-20 years down the line. The next generation would probably buy these new players as they don't know any better. They have the app store on Windows 10, the seeds have been sown. How many times have you had to remove the app store icon from the task bar after every update?

This is just the beginning. You can't just play DVD's from the get go when you first use Windows 10 - an app must be installed first.

Weyland-Yutani_Coporation_Logo.jpg

^We're building "better" worlds. Uh huh.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Remember the whole story of vinyl increasing has to be put into place.

Most people stream music now, or let me rephrase that the growing trend is to stream rather to own.Spotify rent a tune model. Pretty good i suppose but I like my physical copy (downloaded copy)

My kids will be streaming and will be laughing at me in and probably you in years to come, a generational thing perhaps.

I also think music now is worthless  - I listen to a lot of good new music but there is no value in it anymore. There is also way way way too much to filter now. Still love it but there is a lot of quantity! :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just now, ThePiltdownMan said:

Can't see why millennial generation would want a load of bulky and delicate audio equipment in their cramped living conditions, and having to cart it around whenever they move.

One of the many reasons why I sold.

HOLA4415
Just now, ThePiltdownMan said:

Can't see why millennial generation would want a load of bulky and delicate audio equipment in their cramped living conditions, and having to cart it around whenever they move.

Feel my (previous) pain at moving. Yes, the audio stuff and records were bulky.

HOLA4416
1 hour ago, Isambard said:

Ha!

I am dj of 16 years I now no longer play out but only yesterday I sold all my records well the final lot. Sold most on discogs - some going for 50 each (only a few of those)

I am now fully digital and use Traktor. On the rare occasion thatI play out I use CDJ's and a USB stick. 

I was big into vinyl until about 3 years ago, I then decided as much as its cool (it is) as much as its fun (it is) its also a complete waste of money, its environmentally unfriendly and you can back you digital tunes up.

I have kept literally 6 records just for sentimental reasons but the rest have gone.

Give it 5 years and it will no longer be cool for the hipsters. I also wanted to cash in the fad so sold.

That said lots of labels in the house and techno world still produce vinyl only records (and usually very good cuts)

Its my favourite subject - I love minimal techno - I also like Rock etc.

I will stop now.

I've always been into vinyl and only buy something on CD if I really like it and can't get it on vinyl. Whilst suffering festive bird flu I've been cataloguing albums on Discogs and I've found many I didn't know I had and I've also been suprised at what some stuff is going for (if Discogs prices are to be believed). I'm vaguely thinking of selling some that I never play and would appreciate any feedback or info on selling via Discogs (I haven't investigated it yet).

HOLA4417

Recently acquired a turntable, entry level Ariston Q deck with Goldring Elektra cartridge. I have about 20 albums, mostly used purchases. I like it, a lot, but my CD player is much better in almost every way. That's not a vinyl vs CD value judgement, just that my CD player is a mid range machine so it's not really a fair fight. I like the occasional aspects of putting a record on.

I might go and replace my old budget Aiwa tape deck I sold 15 years ago...

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
1 minute ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

'Just'?! Nice spinner!

1 minute ago, The Knimbies who say No said:

'Just'?! Nice spinner!

You repeat yourself? Yes I got if off EBay, and it was so local. Very plain but works!

HOLA4421
Just now, GreenDevil said:

I have about 600 various rock Pop LPs and a top flight Linn lp12 system to play them on.  Not bought an lp for a few years though.

It sounds fab, but Tbh I dont use it much, often listen to mp3s on computer...

Sin! You have a Pinworthy deck.:huh:

HOLA4422
1 minute ago, hotairmail said:

Just seen some potentially very attractive prices for my old Velvet Underground et al. Can you get extra for authentic scratches, candle wax etc?

Sadly, no. The stuff I'm thinking of selling was bought in the 90's when very few people were buying vinyl and much of it is mint or unplayed.

HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Sin! You have a Pinworthy deck.:huh:

Moving Coil Cartridge! No less.

When I looked at be price of a replacement, its sensible not to use it on records less than a1.

Some of the new pressings 200s sound truly amazing. Old thin stuff not so. All vinyl is not created equal.

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, GreenDevil said:

Moving Coil Cartridge! No less.

When I looked at be price of a replacement, its sensible not to use it on records less than a1.

Smashing, but I have just been diverted by an advert for "Bacterial Vaginosis" on a cable channel.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, ntb said:

I've always been into vinyl and only buy something on CD if I really like it and can't get it on vinyl. Whilst suffering festive bird flu I've been cataloguing albums on Discogs and I've found many I didn't know I had and I've also been suprised at what some stuff is going for (if Discogs prices are to be believed). I'm vaguely thinking of selling some that I never play and would appreciate any feedback or info on selling via Discogs (I haven't investigated it yet).

No problem pm me if you want. My records were techno rarities mostly recent ones actually. A lot of records where worth 20+30+40+ a lot were worth £1 !!! (tip over quote for postage) Send 2nd hand for 2,95 and charge 5 for Postage. You incur a 9% i think charge on the purchase on the vinyl so postage is not part of this i believe.

Postive experience on there I finished with 25 positive and one slightly negative which didn't effect my selling power. 

Be accurate in your grading, be honest (obvious I know) I also made sure each one of mine was the cheapest on there so they would sell relatively quickly. I sold about 80 odd sometimes I'd have 5 invoices on some days.

I would love to make a living on it. I know a lot about dance music in general and a lot of tunes are worth jack shit  - In fact I sold my last 80 for 56 quid. That was on eBay though.

If you want anymore pointers just holler.

Archived