House Price Crash Forum

MrPin

HOLA441

Has anyone bought the same film on BR, that they already had on DVD. I swore I would never do this, but I have.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Has anyone bought the same film on BR, that they already had on DVD. I swore I would never do this, but I have.

The Matrix trilogy (well there are only 2 matrix films IMHO (the 1st and 2nd), blu ray does look much better).

Tend to d/l blu-rays now so not able to comment further ...

HOLA444

I recently treated myself to "Goodfellas" on BR. The DVD version I have plays in a small size.

HOLA445
HOLA446

If I'd already bought it once I wouldn't feel guilty about torrenting it.

That would be an interesting legal argument, since you would already have the physical medium, which would be your evidence of the right to watch it!

HOLA447
HOLA448

Interesting thread.

I have to say it took me a while to be convinced about BluRay as limped along with older TVs for bit, but actually now I have newer TV models it is much better quality than DVD and so the cost the BluRay is worth it.

I actually got a multi-region BluRay player, as it is brilliant for Japanese Anime and US Films not released in the UK - though have to confess the disks can cost a fortune especially if you are ordering from Japan. I got the full set of Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 (Uchu Senkan Yamato 2199) second hand and that was over £200, but new it would have been nearer £500 for 7 disks (including shipping and taxes).

HOLA449

Interesting thread.

I have to say it took me a while to be convinced about BluRay as limped along with older TVs for bit, but actually now I have newer TV models it is much better quality than DVD and so the cost the BluRay is worth it.

I actually got a multi-region BluRay player, as it is brilliant for Japanese Anime and US Films not released in the UK - though have to confess the disks can cost a fortune especially if you are ordering from Japan. I got the full set of Space Battle Ship Yamato 2199 (Uchu Senkan Yamato 2199) second hand and that was over £200, but new it would have been nearer £500 for 7 disks (including shipping and taxes).

I love you Mike, you never let me down. :D

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If I were to be shopping for a TV today, it would be a 4k one, although I can't see the individual dots on the one I already have. Currently there is no 4k content that I am aware of. Maybe this is overkill.

Before I had a BD player, the old DVD was upscaled to HD by my amplifier, not very well. The BD player does DVD upscaling very well, so I have only "repeat purchased" very few films.

HOLA4412

If I were to be shopping for a TV today, it would be a 4k one, although I can't see the individual dots on the one I already have. Currently there is no 4k content that I am aware of. Maybe this is overkill.

Before I had a BD player, the old DVD was upscaled to HD by my amplifier, not very well. The BD player does DVD upscaling very well, so I have only "repeat purchased" very few films.

There is, 4k Blu-Ray is available although very limited but that should increase when the Xbox One S and PS4 Neo come out later this year. Also Netflix offer a 4K service, I have it, there is a fair amount of content although not a lot of it is worth watching, mainly original Netflix series.

As for the original thread, a few, possibly the same ones I bought on DVD that I had on VHS and the same ones I will by when they eventually get moved on to 4K.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

4K TV hasn't even launched yet has it?

I've given up being an "early adopter" of TV tech after HD TV took so long to come around.

Not through freeview, yet.

You can get 4k through BT Sport Ultra HD, Sky Q, Netflix, Amazon Prime and of course the 4K blu ray.

The trouble is the 4k players are around 400 quid at the mo.

HOLA4416

I've given up being an "early adopter" of TV tech after HD TV took so long to come around.

4K is way past the early adoption stage, been out since 2003. It's certainly not worth the upgrade if your current equipment is fine but it's basically standard in mid range TV's now.

Plenty of sources as I mentioned earlier, totally forgot about Sky who have offered it since last year and also content on Youtube.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I wouldn't have. Did it for sentimental reasons. At least I'm more "future-proofed" than you!

Edit to say: I do get UHD output on Amazon. As a student member, it's at minimal cost

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I notice a lot of 4k TVs don't attempt 3D.

I think its come and gone. Samsung no longer add it to their 4k line-up. The likes of Disney et al will always exploit fan-boys....you want Star Wars on Betamax, oh you'll also want it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, Blu Ray and now 4k..wont you... Oh you've you've bought them separately, oh, you'll need this magnesium box set, wont you...

How many times has it been "remastered"?

HOLA4423

I think its come and gone. Samsung no longer add it to their 4k line-up. The likes of Disney et al will always exploit fan-boys....you want Star Wars on Betamax, oh you'll also want it on VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, Blu Ray and now 4k..wont you... Oh you've you've bought them separately, oh, you'll need this magnesium box set, wont you...

How many times has it been "remastered"?

And they are crap films apart from the very first one.

Yes, 3D has gone like 8-track, quadrophonic vinyl, and the EL-Cassette.

BluRay is fine quality, and most films/series are OK on DVD.

HOLA4424

I haven't yet. Some of my favourite DVDs (eg. The Wire) were originally shot in 4:3, and the Blu-Rays have been hacked about to become widescreen, which discourages me.

Having said that, I wonder how much longer the TV and film studios will allow us to buy outright copies (at any resolution) of their products. I'm worried that I will be forced to rent films and TV shows via NetFlix-style services in future, so maybe I should buy Blu-Rays of everything I like just in case. It already seems to be happening to some extent, I haven't been able to buy The Americans or The Leftovers on Blu-Ray.

HOLA4425

I haven't yet. Some of my favourite DVDs (eg. The Wire) were originally shot in 4:3, and the Blu-Rays have been hacked about to become widescreen, which discourages me.

Having said that, I wonder how much longer the TV and film studios will allow us to buy outright copies (at any resolution) of their products. I'm worried that I will be forced to rent films and TV shows via NetFlix-style services in future, so maybe I should buy Blu-Rays of everything I like just in case.

Yes, I like to own the physical disk, not some "cloud space" service which might go bust.

A lot of DVD series would have been "made for television", and remastering on a BD would be a waste of time. Auf Wiedersehen Pet for instance. I don't think I would enjoy it any more in BD quality.

Archived