House Price Crash Forum

An Enormous Motoring Faux Pas

Si1

HOLA441

I, a harried parent, rested my supermarket trolley ever so carefully and gently against another car's bumper whilst I unloaded it. Then I got a right telling off from the cars owner whilst they returned (no scratches done and I offered my name and address if she wanted it).

Is this really such an enormous no-no if you're careful?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

As far as I can tell, people seem to react completely irrationally with regards to their cars. Despite, them generally being around a ton of metal - so by definition hardly fragile it seems the ordinary mortal must treat other people's cars with far greater care than their own children or even the car owner's children. Strictly look but don't touch. I basically picture cars as having around 2-3 foot of personal space around them at all times so as not to invoke the ire of their usually over precious owner. Basically, it seems society places them further up the pecking order than other humans travelling on, for example, the tube.

True they are often expensive, but certainly not more expensive than houses - try accidentally kicking a ball against into a garden v it coming close to a parked car with the owner inside. As I said, truly irrational.

Quite baffling since many of their owners have absolutely no problem driving past me on my bicycle at 70mph with mere inches to spare.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Yes. Akin to resting your hand on their bum.

To be fair, it is (sort of) understandable - these days, when you look at a supermarket car park, you're looking at millions of pounds of assets of finance companies. If you have even the tiniest scratch when you come to swap the car in 18 months' time then you lose £££s. In the olden days only wealthy people had expensive/new cars, and they could afford to shrug off a capital loss - but with cheap finance these cars are available to all - but only in terms of £/month, not the full capital value.

We were all happier when we drove crappy old cars which could suffer a tiny scratch without the world falling apart.

HOLA446

I wouldn't do it, and I'd think someone else doing that to demonstrate a lack of consideration.

Less so with the car we have now which is just a normal hatchback thing, but had you done that with my beloved Corrado VR6 which needed a new bumper at one stage at a cost of about £900 (though the place that repaired it managed to patch and paint it in the end), I think I might have had something to say on the matter.

HOLA447
HOLA448

I wouldn't do it, and I'd think someone else doing that to demonstrate a lack of consideration.

Tbh I'd never have done it before having kids, just run off my feet these days.

HOLA449

Fair enough. But how so?

Basically if I come out of the supermarket, and kids are "playing" with my motorcycle, I tell them off. :blink:

HOLA4410

Less so with the car we have now which is just a normal hatchback thing, but had you done that with my beloved Corrado VR6 which needed a new bumper at one stage at a cost of about £900 (though the place that repaired it managed to patch and paint it in the end), I think I might have had something to say on the matter.

I think your vehicle is somehow personal, and you don't touch without permission

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest eight

I, a harried parent, rested my supermarket trolley ever so carefully and gently against another car's bumper whilst I unloaded it. Then I got a right telling off from the cars owner whilst they returned (no scratches done and I offered my name and address if she wanted it).

You should have peed on her. That would have taught her a valuable life lesson, although I'm not sure what.

I like to laugh at those blokes who go around attached limpet-like to their girlfriends, to make it abundantly clear to all who she's with.

HOLA4413

As others have said it's an invasion of personal space.

If I returned to my car and found a shopping trolley against it I would be put in the awkward position of having to check for any possible damage without getting into an argument with the trolley user, which could get quite heated if they went on the defensive.

HOLA4414

I would be annoyed.

Fair enough. I have an emotional intelligence deficit which sees me upset people like this reasonably regularly. Lesson learned, on this particular score.

HOLA4415

car park rash is a problem....the other driver probably thought of you as yet another careless idiot who thinks nothing of denting, scratching, rubbing other peoples cars with their own doors, trolleys, keys.

HOLA4416

car park rash is a problem....the other driver probably thought of you as yet another careless idiot who thinks nothing of denting, scratching, rubbing other peoples cars with their own doors, trolleys, keys.

Indeed - I got stung with a £500 repair bill for a imperceptible scratch someone had done to my hire car

Still, that'll learn me to shop at Lidl's in Tottenham - would never have happened in Waitrose

HOLA4417

Indeed - I got stung with a £500 repair bill for a imperceptible scratch someone had done to my hire car

Still, that'll learn me to shop at Lidl's in Tottenham - would never have happened in Waitrose

Thing with a tiny scratch is it still typically polish out. Nevertheless a car hire company would sting you for it.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Thing with a tiny scratch is it still typically polish out. Nevertheless a car hire company would sting you for it.

Having to go home and polish a "tiny scratch" out of your car is pretty annoying though.

Also, one person's definition of a "tiny scratch" is not the same as another's. Try resting your trolley against a car belonging to someone who has just spent the whole morning cleaning and polishing it, and see what sort of reaction you get.

HOLA4420

B@stards - I told them it would T-cut out if they would only try, but the girl didn't give a sh!t

I know I'm going ot but it's my thread so I can.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/9000-bill-misfueling-enterprise-hire-car

This was spectacular. Bloke misfueled a hire car. Now if you put petrol in your own diesel car an effective independent mechanics solution is to fully drain the fuel system and engine, refill to the top with correct fuel. And it should be fine. The car hire company's solution? To replace the entire fuel system and debit 9 grand from your payment card. Shocking.

HOLA4421

To lighten the mood.. another driver had been irritating me on the way to the shopping centre in Harlow by driving too close behind me. And if you've ever been in a car driven by me you'd know that I don't hang about.

We get to the car park for the shops, called "The Harvey Centre". One of the most atrociously designed car parks I've seen. You go forward about 100m and then have to turn left up a steep slope. The whole thing is "at a tilt" so the cars parked in the spaces at the top of that slope are at an angle.

We were queueing and that car was behind me. I glance up the slope as we're about to move to see a woman starting to lose her grip on the trolley that she's trying to hold with one hand and unload with the other. They didn't have those mechanisms that lock the wheels in those days.

Rather than going up the slope I wheel spin a little as I thrust the car forward just enough to get out of the way as the car behind lurches up the slope only to have a full trolley full of shopping come down to meet it and smash into it.

Oh, how we laughed.

HOLA4422

Having to go home and polish a "tiny scratch" out of your car is pretty annoying though.

Also, one person's definition of a "tiny scratch" is not the same as another's. Try resting your trolley against a car belonging to someone who has just spent the whole morning cleaning and polishing it, and see what sort of reaction you get.

Keep your pants on. I was referring to someone else's tiny scratch in a hire car.

I now realise how hot under the collar people get, and despite having caused no harm scratches or whatever, I deeply apologise.

HOLA4423

To lighten the mood.. another driver had been irritating me on the way to the shopping centre in Harlow by driving too close behind me. And if you've ever been in a car driven by me you'd know that I don't hang about.

We get to the car park for the shops, called "The Harvey Centre". One of the most atrociously designed car parks I've seen. You go forward about 100m and then have to turn left up a steep slope. The whole thing is "at a tilt" so the cars parked in the spaces at the top of that slope are at an angle.

We were queueing and that car was behind me. I glance up the slope as we're about to move to see a woman starting to lose her grip on the trolley that she's trying to hold with one hand and unload with the other. They didn't have those mechanisms that lock the wheels in those days.

Rather than going up the slope I wheel spin a little as I thrust the car forward just enough to get out of the way as the car behind lurches up the slope only to have a full trolley full of shopping come down to meet it and smash into it.

Oh, how we laughed.

This is the thing, I've carefully tried to balance the trolley freestanding in the past and with wriggling kids in it it has on several occasions rolled off into the side of another parked car. I feel the risk of scratches is overall less of a trolley is carefully leant against a bumper.

HOLA4424

I know I'm going ot but it's my thread so I can.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/sep/12/9000-bill-misfueling-enterprise-hire-car

This was spectacular. Bloke misfueled a hire car. Now if you put petrol in your own diesel car an effective independent mechanics solution is to fully drain the fuel system and engine, refill to the top with correct fuel. And it should be fine. The car hire company's solution? To replace the entire fuel system and debit 9 grand from your payment card. Shocking.

I thought it was OK if you put petrol in a diesel but didnt drive it....if you drive it, the engine is fracked...£7K for a toyota.

HOLA4425

I thought it was OK if you put petrol in a diesel but didnt drive it....if you drive it, the engine is fracked...£7K for a toyota.

In practice I understand the solution isn't so drastic.

Archived