House Price Crash Forum

No Spend Days - Not An Austerity Thread

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

This came up on a thread recently.

This isn't about austerity, as you can consume vast amounts on a no spend day, but about shopping habits and shopping necessity.

The fact that someone deliberately has to choose to have no spend days really rocked me back, most days for me are no spend days; I go to the shops or petrol station when I need to and usually plan to combine the two.

For me it would be two or three days a week that I actually pass over money to buy things (as opposed to utility DDs etc.) so I will say four no spend days a week to err upon the side of caution and allow for holidays when I'm buying something most days, even if only lunch.

I thought that was fairly standard but maybe most people are buying something daily.

We will see.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Been away from home, had breakfast in a coffee shop. Something I don't often do, but it's an occasional little luxury. That makes today a spend day.

Coffee shop was pretty busy. And at other times of day and week places like that would provide lunch to lots of working folks, who would thus have five automatic spending days in a regular working week.

Not going to answer your poll: I'm too random. I have two regular committments that make for spending days. I'll shop (for food) at least once a week, which makes another spend day unless it coincides with one of the other things. Anything else is random.

HOLA445

Been away from home, had breakfast in a coffee shop. Something I don't often do, but it's an occasional little luxury. That makes today a spend day.

Coffee shop was pretty busy. And at other times of day and week places like that would provide lunch to lots of working folks, who would thus have five automatic spending days in a regular working week.

Not going to answer your poll: I'm too random. I have two regular committments that make for spending days. I'll shop (for food) at least once a week, which makes another spend day unless it coincides with one of the other things. Anything else is random.

I don't try to avoid spend days; what makes the main difference to working people is whether they buy their lunch. I rarely do and a lot of people that I work with also bring their own in most days.

I can easily see how people do spend on six or seven days each week but I'd have thought a lot would be down at one, two or three because of the inconvenience of going to a shop.

HOLA446

I don't try to avoid spend days; what makes the main difference to working people is whether they buy their lunch.

Also, in many places (big cities in particular) there will plenty of working people who spend money travelling on public transport every day. I could respond to your original question by asking how often you have a no-car day...

HOLA447

Also, in many places (big cities in particular) there will plenty of working people who spend money travelling on public transport every day. I could respond to your original question by asking how ofeten you have a no-car day...

At least two, sometimes three days a week.

HOLA448

I can easily see how people do spend on six or seven days each week but I'd have thought a lot would be down at one, two or three because of the inconvenience of going to a shop.

Depends where you live. I live in a city, so if I'm running out of toothpaste or something I don't put it on a list so I can remember to buy some when I go to a supermarket for a weekly big shop: I just call in at a chemist/supermarket when I'm passing one. I tend to make lots of small shopping expeditions rather than a few big ones, but often I'll be spending less than £5. On average there's probably only a couple of days each week when I don't spend any cash at all. Of course it'll be a different matter if you live 7 miles from the nearest shop. A lot will also depend on whether you're single or you've got a family that needs lots of stuff.

HOLA449

At least two, sometimes three days a week.

So that's four or five days a week when you're using up petrol that you've bought in bulk. I suppose it could be argued that that's still a form of spending, but then the same goes for all consumption, like food/energy/reading a book. We'll be back to talking about austerity any minute.

HOLA4410

So that's four or five days a week when you're using up petrol that you've bought in bulk. I suppose it could be argued that that's still a form of spending, but then the same goes for all consumption, like food/energy/reading a book. We'll be back to talking about austerity any minute.

I did say this in my OP and stressed that it wasn't an austerity thread, more lifestyle.

You can buy three thousand doughnuts a week by going shopping just once. With a big car.

HOLA4411

I buy all foods and stuff with cash. I take out money at start of week and dfo not draw any more out. When it's gone, I stop spending.

Using cards seems to disconnect people from what they actually spend.

HOLA4412

I did say this in my OP and stressed that it wasn't an austerity thread, more lifestyle.

You can buy three thousand doughnuts a week by going shopping just once. With a big car.

You an inspiration. :blink::o:P

HOLA4413

Sure, I just don't know if it's a very meaningful question. You could easily have two people who spend/consume exactly the same amount, but one pays for everything up front and the other one pays on demand. It's really a question of personal habits and circumstances.

Ah, you've been to Edinburgh then...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279029/Edinburgh-traffic-chaos-Krispy-Kreme-doughnuts-opens-Hermiston-Gait.html

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/traffic-chaos-at-krispy-kreme-doughnut-shop-launch-1-2790943

HOLA4414

Sure, I just don't know if it's a very meaningful question. You could easily have two people who spend/consume exactly the same amount, but one pays for everything up front and the other one pays on demand. It's really a question of personal habits and circumstances.

As per my OP I was thrown by the concept of no spend days in another thread because that's most days for me.

It was a check for me as per another poll I posted about wet shaving vs electric. My ex kept sniping at my wet shaving, suggesting that I was like some pre war throwback and ought to move with the times, based AFAIK upon her dad and brother using electric shavers.

The poll confirmed what I thought, I was in the majority so just drop it, and this poll has a similar purpose - checking if it's me that's out of step. It's not virtue signalling so there is no need to be defensive.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Ah, you've been to Edinburgh then...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279029/Edinburgh-traffic-chaos-Krispy-Kreme-doughnuts-opens-Hermiston-Gait.html

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/traffic-chaos-at-krispy-kreme-doughnut-shop-launch-1-2790943

I'd normally be the first to take the piss out of Frank if I thought he was disappearing up his own kazoo but I know what he means. My wife and I joke that our respective mothers visit the supermarket 3 times a day, everyday.

Its nots often that I'll have a no spend day as there's always something that needs getting or being paid for. Today will probably be a no spend day for me as I'm not leaving home. But my wife has taken the children to church and even that COSTS money. So that's not really a no spend day is it?

Poll needs an option for 0 days

HOLA4417

Six on a good week i fecking hate shopping ....i`m digressing a bit here but why do so many people put £10-20 worth of fuel in their cars two three times a week some on limited finances have to which i can understand but the rest ?

In my experience there are a lot more people on limited finances than you think. I know plenty of people on £30k and (well) up who breathe a big sigh of relief each pay day. Big mortgages and car leases / loans are the usual culprits; and as they've always had them they've been unable to build up any reserves.

I had one surprise me the other day; I thought they were comfortably off but it turns out that I was wrong. I hid my surprise.

HOLA4418

It's not virtue signalling so there is no need to be defensive.

On the contrary! I actually feel quite virtuous on days when I realise I haven't spent any money. Of course, I spend twice as much the next day, so then I feel vaguely guilty.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yes no spending day is different to no consumption day.......I use electricity every day and consume food and water every day which has to be paid for unless grow or make or take own.

Not that difficult to not use cash money or plastic cards for quite a few days.....all down to needs and planning.;)

HOLA4421

I don't try to avoid spend days; what makes the main difference to working people is whether they buy their lunch. I rarely do and a lot of people that I work with also bring their own in most days.

I have no spend days but would not include food as a 'spend'. From the first day we started our business my brother declared that if we aren't successful enough to buy ourselves a modest lunch and a coffee wherever we were, it wasn't a good business. Acting like a 10 year old at school when your in a decent job just feels weird.

I find bringing your own food to work utterly depressing and always have. The excuse is often diet or fitness or something answer is then buy a banana and a bag of nuts then at lunch.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

From the first day we started our business my brother declared that if we aren't successful enough to buy ourselves a modest lunch and a coffee wherever we were, it wasn't a good business. Acting like a 10 year old at school when your in a decent job just feels weird.

That goes right against the classic idea, that your first five years or so in a new business are pure hair-shirt. I guess there must've been aspects of your venture that weren't quite from scratch?

HOLA4424

That goes right against the classic idea, that your first five years or so in a new business are pure hair-shirt. I guess there must've been aspects of your venture that weren't quite from scratch?

absolutely not old cavalier between 3 of us and no working capital. first loan was for an old transit that was a from a bakery and you could see the old lettering christened the cake van by our clients. and we all took out minimum amount.

It's a bit like some kids at school who are impossibly stylish on the same budget as others.

We worked for IBM and BT before and refused to believe it was hair shirt, no point starting your own gig to act like a student. Never liked that student I eat baked beans because I am poor stuff even when I was an apprentice. Had a 3 litre Capri (wish I had kept) when I was 19.

As for the classic idea that it's five years of hair shirt when starting up.Not so sure. My experience is that business's that get to be mid sized - we employ about 35 people now plus contractors get off to a flying start often being in the right place etc

HOLA4425

Primarily Greg I find going to the shops a total chore, I don't like the thought of having to queue up to buy something every lunchtime when I can go for a walk instead.

Horses for courses of course. I spend most of my life in other peoples office, I like shops and combine that with a walk. Perhaps because some of many part time jobs were at Victoria Wine, Sainsbury's and Mecca bookmakers. I find it therapeutic and a bit nostalgic.

I have the luxury of not having to shop at weekends for bigger items and as a petrol head am in and out of car/motorcycle show rooms most weeks

Archived