House Price Crash Forum

Eu/german Harassment Of Poland

Steppenpig

HOLA441

German TV have been making threatening noises about the recently democratically elected new government for the last couple of weeks. I have lost all faith in the German state broadcaster to provide objective information, in particular where it concerns "right wing" issues, and irrespective of whether they are true,

I've read the articles linked by "Pole" in the other thread, but it is very hard to judge whether there is anything of substance in the accusations. It seems that the government will have more control over the state media, but I have no idea if it is in reality any different from the indirect control the state has in Germany,and probably most other member states.

I really am genuinely shocked by the new aggressive stance being taken by the Germans these days. I know they consider themselves to have a historic duty to protect the world from right wing extremism, but it really just comes accross as intimidation. The seem to have taken over the role from France, of seeing themselves as the arbitrer of what is acceptable in the EU.

Countries like Poland that elect openly anti-Islam governments will now be punished heavily by the mainstream media and Brussels (in the name of defending "demoracy"!).

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2016/01/economist-explains-7

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/13/opinion/poland-deviates-from-democracy.html?_r=0

There's a shocking (at least to me!) picture there next to the NYT article. Basically, a map of Poland with a black snake emerging from it.

It's sick propaganda of the dirtiest kind. Would they ever publish a similar picture to comment on the situation in Germany?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Where was the official EU complaint when Silvio Berlusconi controlled 90% of the media in Italy?

One rule for us, another for you.

The EU really don't like Berlusconi, and have criticised him quite a few times. But he didn't try to control the RAI (their equivalent of the BBC). Nor did he own the main newspapers. Murdoch would be a genuine comparison.

Polish government seizing control of state media does sound alarming. Germans would know that better than anyone, given who they elected in 1933.

HOLA448

The EU really don't like Berlusconi, and have criticised him quite a few times. But he didn't try to control the RAI (their equivalent of the BBC). Nor did he own the main newspapers. Murdoch would be a genuine comparison.

Polish government seizing control of state media does sound alarming. Germans would know that better than anyone, given who they elected in 1933.

Yep, the Germans are so wise. They know everything. They are the best. Who if not them?

How this democratically elected Polish government even dares to make decisions that affect Poland without asking Germany for advice first?

But seriously...

referring to your last sentence, when it comes what was started in 1933, it's not Germany, it's Poland that knows better than anyone in Europe.

And Germany's politicians are the last ones on this planet who should lecture Poland on the subject of democracy.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Well pole...let's just hope you are right, and that the muzzling of the press does bode well for a free and happy society. Best of luck with that.

Let's be clear... I think that most politicians are big or small time crooks.

It's just that in this case the issue has been oversimplified by the Western leftie press.

BTW, did you know that almost all private media in Poland are in foreign (often German) pro-globalist hands?

If the government's good work or any leftie failings are not covered by the public media, there have been cases where the private media would simply refuse to cover it.

Anyway, in a few years the Polish lefties are welcome to take the power back (assuming their ideas win them the elections).

HOLA4412

If you don't mind reading subtitles, this is all the info you need on the subject of endangered democracy in Poland (from 3:00mins onwards or 19:00mins if pressed for time):

Many thanks, although to be honest, I don't feel that much enlightened, which just confirms my view that it's impossible for an outsider to be able to judge what is right and wrong in another country.

(I think the guy in the vid is trying to show that the other lot were just as bad, or maybe worse, which is certainly plausible)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Here's the Guardian's take on the topic (the comments section is quite busy):

Comentators seem to fairly equally divide between people (like me) who don't really know what's going on but believe that a democratically elected government should be entitled to get on with doing whatever the people elected it to do, and people who don'r really know what is going on, but believe anything the guardian/bbc/eu tells them to believe.

Actually there is a good sort of "ombudsman" program on german telly, that keeps an eye on the accuracy of broadcasting, and they seem to conclude that it is no different this time from previous governmnts, and as that concurrs with my view, I shall assume it is correct.

in german

https://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/zapp/Pressefreiheit-in-Polen-Vor-PiS-war-PO,polen364.html

HOLA4417

Another article from the Guardian today:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/17/poland-rightwing-government-eu-russia-democracy-under-threat

Regardless of what one makes of those recent Poland's choices, the lefties just can't stand democracy...

Indeed.

Didn't they (the left) change the constitution 2 weeks before they were about to be voted out, so they could 'insert' top judges to frustrate the new government?

And...

When they did this the opposition (now the government) protested and said they would use the 'new' constitution to reverse the appointments?

Who farted first? The left as always, and it's particularly stinky!

Archived