House Price Crash Forum

Quitting Work And Spending Cash

HOLA441
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yep.

I quit work. Or more accurately, work quit me. They laid me off. Oil and gas. What can you do. Anyway it paid for my house and a good lifestyle, still all good things must come to an end.

But thing is a neighbour of mines husband works some dogs at a few different shoots. Have been given loads of pheasants recently. She feels sorry for me being unempmoyed. Turning the current brace into a pie. Lots of pork belly and sausage meat required to keep it moist. Best yet he turned up this evening with a pair of ducks and a barnacle goose. Lot of plucking for me tomorrow but thats Christmas dinner sorted.

(No real point to that post. Just trying to unify the two main themes in this thread before the mods decide to split it).

Ah ha! I no longer work in that sector. :wacko:

Sounds like you have a Christmas feast. Do you have enough sprouts?

HOLA443
HOLA444

Well done Laura, Merry Christmas and enjoy the winter off.

I've found (being out of work for 2 years) that if i need a job i can get one when i need to.

Alot of this "unemployable" "been out of work too long" stuff is in my opinion mainly just personal prejudice by the interviewer.

Maybe bitterness i don't know.

HOLA445

Well done Laura, Merry Christmas and enjoy the winter off.

I've found (being out of work for 2 years) that if i need a job i can get one when i need to.

Alot of this "unemployable" "been out of work too long" stuff is in my opinion mainly just personal prejudice by the interviewer.

Maybe bitterness i don't know.

Being out of work for a bit is normal!

HOLA446

For all the financial, career, life fulfilment debates about packing in work for good (or genuinely having the intention of so-doing in my case) the main reasons that I always encourage people to do it (or radically change career) are:

The downsides of having done it if you do end up going back to work in your old field are small, people massively exaggerate them in their minds.

The feeling of having done it, and for me it persisted for months, is that childhood Christmas or start of the summer holidays feeling. There really is nothing quite like it and if you work your whole life and retire at 65-70 you will never experience it as an adult.

Enjoy it Laura; I'm jealous!

HOLA447

" Quitting work and spending cash" is still running.

Morphed into quitting work and trying not to spend cash....off topic into off topic.....everything can be linked someway or another into another.

That is the great thing about quitting work you find things to do differently and find because you have the time to do different things.;)

HOLA448

Thanks everyone, its actually the first "proper" job ive quit.

Laura, have a missed something? At the start of the thread, you were asking "should I?" - so have you now actually quit?

If so, congratulations!

I'm still not *quite* out yet as I agreed to "be available" and on the books to help interview my replacement in return for a full annual bonus (not bad for 1 mths occasional work!) to be paid in the next FY. But freedom is so close I can taste it.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks everyone, its actually the first "proper" job ive quit.

Doubt I will regret it, there were a few things that made me really thinking about quitting asap but realistically i wasnt going to be there for much longer. I would of liked to have more in savings or moved to my next house, but next house could be a decade away so can't keep waiting for that to happen. I think they've been a bit short sighted to not spend a few hundred quid on equipment to make my life better, when they've spend 15k on requiment costs for me and will probably pay the same for my replacement and have to train them, but that's their choice. Maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for and knew I wasn't going to be there forever.

Love that song frank, that's exactly it!

That's a common mistake I've found. Anyone would think there was no joined up thinking between cost centres in companies. I regularly commute long distances for work, spend a day in the office and work from home for the rest of the week. My budgeted IT provision - a 4-year-old desktop. I've been using my own laptop, mobile and printer for the past 3 years instead.

Anyhow, many congratulations to you Laura.

Archived