House Price Crash Forum

Yemen, Afghanistan - What Is Isis Doing?

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

Right, can somebody explain these ones to me please:

Yemen - proxy war between Iran (Houthi forces) and Saudi (existing regieme). Houthi mostly winning. Saudi-backed forces take back Aden, call it their new cpaital, and install governor there

Governor and his convoy blown up yesterday.

Now I assumed, on hearing this, that it was by Houthi forces as that makes sense. But now ISIS are claiming responsibility. Which doesn't , to me anyway, as I would have thought they would be backing the Saudis.

Afghanistan - ISIS have infiltrated and are attacking the Taliban. Who I thought, with their Al Qaeda (whatever that means these days) support, were fellow travellers.

Um, I could be making a mistake in thinking that a death cult such as ISIS has a stratgey of course; but I assume they do have one. Thoughg based on these it seems to be "kill everybody".

Can somebody please explain or link to a story that does explain these, because I am baffled?

HOLA442

Let's all go out bombing! It makes no sense to me either! The enemy changes daily, and I am no more the wiser! :huh: Is there an aim? Sometimes I think we should bring back the British Empire, and teach brutality in a civilised way! With tea, and a G&T on the verandah, and bowling, although I have no real bowling balls, but turnips make a good substitute!

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Taliban are fragmenting, torn by internal dissent, and many are defecting to ISIS. US-trained Afghan National Army making heavy weather of combatting Taliban, and losing large numbers of troops in the process.

ISIS see opportunity to establish border provinces in Afghanistan, entering via Pakistan and thus extending 'caliphate'. Enlarging their 'empire' has great propaganda value and gives potential recruits the impression they are joining a winning side.

Local populations, as usual, suffer the terror.

HOLA448

Taliban are fragmenting, torn by internal dissent, and many are defecting to ISIS. US-trained Afghan National Army making heavy weather of combatting Taliban, and losing large numbers of troops in the process.

ISIS see opportunity to establish border provinces in Afghanistan, entering via Pakistan and thus extending 'caliphate'. Enlarging their 'empire' has great propaganda value and gives potential recruits the impression they are joining a winning side.

Local populations, as usual, suffer the terror.

We'd better hope a leader doesn't manage to pull them together.

HOLA449

Right, can somebody explain these ones to me please:

Yemen - proxy war between Iran (Houthi forces) and Saudi (existing regieme). Houthi mostly winning. Saudi-backed forces take back Aden, call it their new cpaital, and install governor there

Governor and his convoy blown up yesterday.

Now I assumed, on hearing this, that it was by Houthi forces as that makes sense. But now ISIS are claiming responsibility. Which doesn't , to me anyway, as I would have thought they would be backing the Saudis.

Afghanistan - ISIS have infiltrated and are attacking the Taliban. Who I thought, with their Al Qaeda (whatever that means these days) support, were fellow travellers.

Um, I could be making a mistake in thinking that a death cult such as ISIS has a stratgey of course; but I assume they do have one. Thoughg based on these it seems to be "kill everybody".

Can somebody please explain or link to a story that does explain these, because I am baffled?

I think there is less evidence for SA backing AQ than backing IS.

Unlike the other jihadists, IS wants to establish a Caliphate now, rather than in the future. This caused a rift between AQ and IS.

Perhaps SA created AQ, and the monster grew out of control into IS.

IS wants to fight everyone, and sees other jihadists as rivals.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I thought they want to destroy Saudi (just before destroying Israel) which kind of contradicts the 'saudi funded' narrative.

I think ISIS are a grass-roots organization that has gained traction with young muslims throughout the world. Rich, poor. Western, eastern. Educated, uneducated. Man, woman. Convert, or born.

It seems unaffiliated with existing regimes and is so attractive because it is pure, unadulterated Islam. It is without a diluted 'monarchical' structure that has a degree of Idolatry (and more than a pinch of materialism and im-modesty), as exists in commonly regarded fundamentalist regimes, like Saudi. It will grow and grow as it is most true to the teachings of the prophet.

HOLA4412

I thought they want to destroy Saudi (just before destroying Israel) which kind of contradicts the 'saudi funded' narrative.

I think ISIS are a grass-roots organization that has gained traction with young muslims throughout the world. Rich, poor. Western, eastern. Educated, uneducated. Man, woman. Convert, or born.

It seems unaffiliated with existing regimes and is so attractive because it is pure, unadulterated Islam. It is without a diluted 'monarchical' structure that has a degree of Idolatry (and more than a pinch of materialism and im-modesty), as exists in commonly regarded fundamentalist regimes, like Saudi. It will grow and grow as it is most true to the teachings of the prophet.

Interesting observation. The spirit of the Crusades, returned for a modern era when another bunch of Infidels (or indeed a multiplicity of different infidels) have taken the Holy Lands?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Archived