HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Cripes. Some of these look good for nearly nowt. Who would want an iThing now? Might think of a tablet myself when this netbook craps out. Probably Android for me as that's what's on my phone, but Microsoft have impressed me with the Windows ones. I thought they would get it wrong. :blink:

HOLA4410

Surface 3 (the 10.8" cheaper one). Runs full Windows so you can put whatever ad blockers you like on it.

This is what I've ordered as an ipad replacement as pro 3 I found too big but bit worried about the atom processor as Pro 3 was a bit laggy but no 4G with any other Microsoft tablet.

Apple's tablets are a much better all round feel and user experience than Microsoft but they are so weak on productivity hoped ipad pro might change that but nothing I've read online looks that promising.

HOLA4411

Cripes. Some of these look good for nearly nowt. Who would want an iThing now? Might think of a tablet myself when this netbook craps out. Probably Android for me as that's what's on my phone, but Microsoft have impressed me with the Windows ones. I thought they would get it wrong. :blink:

In truth nothing still really matches the ipad. I've had to change the battery on my original after about 5 years heavy use and abuse and it still works fine - helped by not updating. I'm not convinced many of the pretenders would stand up against it.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I have an old iPad 2. Like an idiot I updated it fairly regularly and it is now unusable. If it could do basic web browsing again it would be useful, but it is close to the bin now, which is a crying waste. It is a solid device, has survived attacks by children, and the battery is still fine.

Does anyone know what to do with old iPads - seems ridiculous to bin it when it could make a basic web access device for some poor kid in Africa (if only it could go back to iOS 5).

I'm torn on Apple. I hate the lock in, but the trade off for that is you don't need to admin the machine.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Adblock browser for iOS or Android: https://adblockbrowser.org/

I have an ipad zero.

Like it's zero use almost. Every ad and video (that it can't play either) slows down the page load to too frustrating for words.

It can't do iplayer or youtube.

Many of the apps are old versions and they just seem to disappear or stop working.

I mostly read a few forums and look at emails at night. And a bit of facebook. Which is manages to crash regularly.

HOLA4416

Not being an Apple owner, please explain why the updates render them unusable? Is it simply that older ones can't cope with bloatware?

Exactly that.

I've got an ipad 2 on 7.1 jailbroken and still works fine. Looks like the jump to ios8 made most of them unusable and even worse on ios9. Seems like most i-devices can manage a single jump on ios from the os they were designed for, but no further.

I had a 3gs that stayed on ios5 (or 4 - I forget) and the only thing that killed it in the end was the battery, up until then it was still perfectly nippy.

I don't know of any way to downgrade as far as ios9 back to say ios7 due to apple signing the firmware, which they generally stop doing after an update (forcing you to either stay on what you've got or upgrade) and they're quite sneaky for the OCD amongst us, usually keeping an irritating "1" lodged on the settings app block to remind you to upgrade forever (unless you jailbreak of course)

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Exactly that.

I've got an ipad 2 on 7.1 jailbroken and still works fine. Looks like the jump to ios8 made most of them unusable and even worse on ios9. Seems like most i-devices can manage a single jump on ios from the os they were designed for, but no further.

I had a 3gs that stayed on ios5 (or 4 - I forget) and the only thing that killed it in the end was the battery, up until then it was still perfectly nippy.

I don't know of any way to downgrade as far as ios9 back to say ios7 due to apple signing the firmware, which they generally stop doing after an update (forcing you to either stay on what you've got or upgrade) and they're quite sneaky for the OCD amongst us, usually keeping an irritating "1" lodged on the settings app block to remind you to upgrade forever (unless you jailbreak of course)

My ipad won't update past ios5 which means it's doomed as they want people to make shiny new apps that only do on ios8.

TBH it's this site that gives me most problems loading - the number of videos which it can't play but hog loads of load time before you can scroll down is too annoying.

There's a pause for ads, for the black square of youtube vids embedded, the links button, then the title and then ascreengrab - each taking a second or more to load before I can scroll down the page.

HOLA4419

My goodness. The World is producing a lot of electronic waste. Some of my guitars are over 30 years old, and can alway be upgraded to new strings. :unsure:

HOLA4420

My ipad won't update past ios5 which means it's doomed as they want people to make shiny new apps that only do on ios8.

TBH it's this site that gives me most problems loading - the number of videos which it can't play but hog loads of load time before you can scroll down is too annoying.

There's a pause for ads, for the black square of youtube vids embedded, the links button, then the title and then ascreengrab - each taking a second or more to load before I can scroll down the page.

You should be able to just do a restore then and keep your ios5. It'll be lightening quick once you've wiped it:

Restore your device
  1. Connect your device to your computer using the cable that came with it.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes.
  3. In the Summary panel, click Restore.
  4. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

You should be able to just do a restore then and keep your ios5. It'll be lightening quick once you've wiped it:

Restore your device
  1. Connect your device to your computer using the cable that came with it.
  2. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes.
  3. In the Summary panel, click Restore.
  4. Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content.

I have ios5. I just can't upgrade it to anything else.

If I delete everything then I won't be able to download any apps as all the new ones are for ios8.

It's only cos I have things installed that can't update anymore that I have apps. The iplayer and youtube won't work unless I could upgrade to a newer ios

HOLA4423

Isnt the problem if you dont update them when app s are updated you can't run them unless you upgrade the aoo, but you can't upgrade the aoo without upgrading the os?

Ive got a Samsung tablet with and organic led screen that has been rooted. Its great for watching films.

Apple tablets make even just downloading a video very difficult to do.

I've got the rightmove app just not the most recent. Some apps just don't work and I think some must disappear as I had a nice drawing app that I don't appear to have any more.

HOLA4424

Thoughts.

If you mainly use the tablet at home, you can block the ads for the entire house by installing a proxy. All devices on your network will have a nice clean feed with no trackers, ads, nada. You'll need a small form factor PC to do it, I run an Intel Atom based machine (uses about 20W), it does firewall, proxy, DNS etc for all devices. You could also use your desktop and route all traffic through that (nearly all PCs have two network ports), but then your PC has to be on. My set up is Debian + Squid + Squidguard + Shallalist: haven't seen an ad at home in years.

OS upgrades are a problem. Apple do seem to be the absolute worst for this - if you upgrade, your kit is going in the bin within 5 or 6 years. I'm not normally a big Microsoft fan, but they have done a fantastic job with Windows 7, hopefully 10 is the same. I'm still using a desktop with an AMD Athlon processor - I just looked it up, that dates from 2003. It works fine - Office, Chrome, all the basic stuff works. OK, it struggles with Visual studio, but I am not surprised with that.

HOLA4425

Thoughts.

If you mainly use the tablet at home, you can block the ads for the entire house by installing a proxy. All devices on your network will have a nice clean feed with no trackers, ads, nada. You'll need a small form factor PC to do it, I run an Intel Atom based machine (uses about 20W), it does firewall, proxy, DNS etc for all devices. You could also use your desktop and route all traffic through that (nearly all PCs have two network ports), but then your PC has to be on. My set up is Debian + Squid + Squidguard + Shallalist: haven't seen an ad at home in years.

OS upgrades are a problem. Apple do seem to be the absolute worst for this - if you upgrade, your kit is going in the bin within 5 or 6 years. I'm not normally a big Microsoft fan, but they have done a fantastic job with Windows 7, hopefully 10 is the same. I'm still using a desktop with an AMD Athlon processor - I just looked it up, that dates from 2003. It works fine - Office, Chrome, all the basic stuff works. OK, it struggles with Visual studio, but I am not surprised with that.

We have a server already for work stuff...

I shall ask the mister why we don't do that. It might be cos of the OS we use on that though.

Archived