House Price Crash Forum

Government Proposes Minimum Bedroom Size For Rental Properties

HOLA441

They can't mess with bedroom size as one argument used about bedroom tax was that some third bedrooms are too small to use as a bedroom.

Which is clearly going to make a huge mess of lot of stuff.

And where does it leave owners who have bought a property with a mortgage if the room size legally is not big enough to be a bedroom (And I don't see how the law could make it different for renters compared to owners) then suddenly they've got a 2 bedroom house with a large walk in cupboard rather than a 3 bed.

How does that screw up mortgages?

More to the point, how would it screw up council tax? My 3rd bedroom wouldn't comply, it's nothing more than what used to be called a box room. If my

house was downgraded to a two bedroom it would mean I would be in a lower CT band and I can't see them doing that anytime soon.

HOLA442
HOLA443

I like this, mostly because it will hit a lot of slum landlords who have been dividing up houses into ever smaller rooms intheir HMOs. No doubt it will hit the infamous Ros of P118.

Sell cheap room partitioning companies.

In the land of a slumlord, a 3 bed + 2 receptions house can be quickly turned into a 8 bedroom HMO...

HOLA444

Me and my wife live in a room that's under this limit. The kids have a much bigger room to share, but overall we live in 550 square feet of space.

All this to get the kids into a decent school and so she doesn't have to slave away at a pointless job for it. I'd definitely say it's been worth it. Space is overrated.