House Price Crash Forum

The Big Eu Referendum Thread - How Will Be Bribed To Vote Yes To Stay

HOLA441

Housebuilder warns of 'Brexit' effect on London

London-focused upmarket housebuilder Berkeley says the capital would need fewer new houses if Britain were to leave the European Union due to a likely slowdown in economic growth.

Sounds good. Did they say if there are any downsides to leaving?

We have an unattractive industrialised farming landscape that we have no access to. So much more value could be added to the people of this country by building more homes and creating far more accessible nature and leisure facilities. We have a poor Africa on our doorstep largely locked out of our markets. I would like to open up our markets more to foodstuffs and get rid of subsidies in their entirety. You would probably find land rents simply fall.

You're weird.

A good proportion isn't unnattractive, and in any case making it even more unattractive and busier just makes things even more unpleasant. Your plan would finish off a lot of the attractive parts, with only the most industrialised surviving (which if anything would cause them to spread). What you're saying is absolutely the last thing we need (but probably the sort of thing we'll get, which is why the future is unbelievably depressing).

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

London-focused upmarket housebuilder Berkeley says the capital would need fewer new houses if Britain were to leave the European Union due to a likely slowdown in economic growth.

What Berkeley really means is that fewer new houses would be needed due to slower population growth. Less mass immigration. It sounds very good (although there's no reason not to build enough to cut down on current overcrowding - and fewer tiny homes would be good as well).

Clearly those running Berkeley are well aware that population ponzi = manipulated statistical growth (alongside increasing debt). Nothing to do with real growth of course.

HOLA443

What Berkeley really means is that fewer new houses would be needed due to slower population growth. Less mass immigration. It sounds very good (although there's no reason not to build enough to cut down on current overcrowding - and fewer tiny homes would be good as well).

Well there are reasons but if there's no (not even slower) population growth it feels more like a necessary evil worth swallowing. If there's still going to be population growth then you may as well give up now and say "screw everyone."

HOLA444

Well there are reasons but if there's no (not even slower) population growth it feels more like a necessary evil worth swallowing. If there's still going to be population growth then you may as well give up now and say "screw everyone."

Ok but what I basically meant (in the bracketed part) was not to give them the excuse to stop building and continue land hoarding possibly waiting for another vote to stay in the eu (the keep voting principle). Really their land hoarding powers should be stopped and builders profits should be derived from building homes - which would be beneficial for house prices (although accepted that the level of credit is the main reason for crazy house prices).

HOLA445

Ok but what I basically meant (in the bracketed part) was not to give them the excuse to stop building and continue land hoarding possibly waiting for another vote to stay in the eu (the keep voting principle). Really their land hoarding powers should be stopped and builders profits should be derived from building homes - which would be beneficial for house prices (although accepted that the level of credit is the main reason for crazy house prices).

Can't really argue with that. I probably find it rather easy to find excuses to go off onto one of my real pet hates. I've said myself that the only people who should make money from houses are builders, and that has to be from, oh, I don't know, some strange idea like building them (i.e. actually creating something people want).

HOLA446

..."Oh it will be hard, the Euro really makes life easy for business, our major export markets are Belgium and the UK". The journalist's ears pricked up at this. "The UK? They are neither in Schengen or in the Euro, how do you do business with them?". The big cheese replied "oh, no problems at all to be honest, doesn't make too much difference for us, we have to be aware of exchange rates but that's it really".

It really does just show how much the brainwashing affects people, if you repeat it enough, they will just spout it out. For most enterprises, the only benefit of the euro will have been few hours of a part time accounts clerk salary saved.

Surprised the journalist didn't just let it pass though.

HOLA447

Heard the ads on LBC lately? Exportingisgreat.com

It seems the only people who are looking for UK made bike parts are in the EU. Ad infinitum.

There dont appear to be any customers for UK made products outside of the EU in their ads. How unfortunate. How would we ever survive...

I bet Exportingisgreat.com is funded by some IN lobby group.

HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Because the Commission is based overseas, it is exempt from having to comply with the UK election laws that limit the amounts that the British campaigns will be able to spend on advertising and leaflets in the months leading up to the referendum.

"Overseas" - when the chips are down it's overseas but when it comes to complying with other rules then there's no alternative but to comply with eu law because it's not overseas any more.

For sure it'll likely be twisted each and every way - it's not how it was described in the original brochure..

HOLA4412

Do leaflets change minds? Any I receive go straight in the bin on the assumption that they are just propaganda and don't have anything worth saying to say, or are inevitably going to be too biased so that even if they do have anything worthwhile in them it's too hard to pick the wheat from the chaff.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

• 1 month later...
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

you will lose all of your duty free allowance if you quit the EU obviously.

no more unlimited booze and fags for Christmas(not that there was anyway,but makes a headline)

if I were brexit, then I would IMMEDIATELY reduce the EU allowance to 800 fags and a case of scotch/spirits/champers..a couple of cases of wine...while increasing the size of the US/ commonwealth duty free allowance to exactly the same.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Has the question been set yet?

Should the plan of agreement be accepted which was submitted by the European Commission, the European Central Bank, and the International Monetary Fund in the Eurogroup of 25.06.2015 and comprises of two parts, which constitute their proposal?

HOLA4425

Archived