House Price Crash Forum

Uk Government Borrowing Falls In June On Record Tax Haul

HOLA441
I'm actually now grateful that I couldn't honestly (could have lied like many but my ethics/honesty run very deep and is what makes the wo/man IMHO) afford a home when I came here in 2007. It forced me to think differently and my life is now far better than what Plan A would have given. Far far better.

Me too. If living in the UK was truly viable, it would be a real dilemma for me to move abroad or not. Now though.....I mean, it's utterly farcical. I am in bewilderment when I look at house prices in Northampton, AND also realise just how flooded the town is with eastern Europeans. The over-stretched infrstructure (schools, hospitals). The crap wages. The high rents. Nothing makes sense. Then look at the awful fundamentals of the UK economy - all that government borrowing. The state of the UK has galvanised me to leave it. I'm looking forward to getting the hell out of here this summer for good. I've spent 5 years in Thailand, and that's where I'm heading for good. I have a 5 year visa for the place which will take me to 50 years old, then I'll go for a retirement or investment visa there. I'll move my cash to Thailand too - I don't trust Sterling one bit, and think it's going to lose a lot of value over the coming years when QE kicks in again. I've paid a shit-ton of tax to the UK over the years and I'll be happy when I can stop contributing altogether. As Morrissey once said, "I don't owe you anything. But you owe me something, repay me now".

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I've already lost my sister who went to NZ (before prices went mental) to raise a family and has never looked back, and same with another mate to France. A couple have bought in Slovenia (Lake Bled area), still got London links but doing less and less work and more time out there.

Another friend is planning to sell her London flat (about 250k equity as it stands) invest that for an income, and combine it with a couple of smallish pensions when they kick in at 55, to live in Thailand permanently. Not my choice of location, I'd prefer a permanent UK base, but she knows it inside out and already has a social circle in place from years of visits (and no kids to consider). We've discussed (once I'm FI) me flying back and forth to see her (UK winter time preferably) for as long as a visa would last as you can live a great lifestyle. I certainly haven't researched to the extent you have with Malta I believe topping the list.

Im not a Malta fan. Its a very corrupt, over built sh1thole IMHO.

British people are wowed as it hot and people speak English.

Learn Spanish and try somewhere around Barcelona. Catalans are pretty Northern European in their outlook on life and attitude to work and the law (ish). Weathers doable in summer too - Malta is like a fcking oven JUl->aug.

HOLA443

I know if 2 companies they audited, Q4 of last year - making sure the correct tax was paid. Lass mentioned since things were tight they were auditing more businesses.

Did you know people answering support lines on phones to the States is considered an export to the States and taxes are due on it? WTF?

HOLA444

I find it equally ironic and tragic that so many natives are leaving whilst it seems the tide of incomers never stops. Maybe the idea is that given enough time, so much wealth and human resource will leave UK for other shores that economies will reach a kind of parity. Bad for anyone growing up here.

HOLA445

I find it equally ironic and tragic that so many natives are leaving whilst it seems the tide of incomers never stops. Maybe the idea is that given enough time, so much wealth and human resource will leave UK for other shores that economies will reach a kind of parity. Bad for anyone growing up here.

That has to happen anyway with globalisation as companies will always chase the lowest cost. Maybe the emigration/immigration will just speed it up.

HOLA446

It was always going to happen. It's not so much "the idea" but the inevitable result of a historically rich region (UK specifically, Western Europe generally) losing it's competitive advantage (empire building no longer fashionable and the first mover advantage of industrial revolution long faded). It's just a levelling.

No point in worrying about immigrants - if they didn't come here then the jobs would go to them.

Of course it's painful for the rich to get poorer but it's balanced by the poorer getting richer - who, I imagine, are rather more chipper.