House Price Crash Forum

George Osborne Considering £5Bn Cuts To Child Tax Credits

HOLA441

Demise?

The state pension up to about the mid-90s was not a great deal.

Today - its quite lucrative when you put in all the add ons too - free bus, pension credit etc etc.

Today's state pension is a DB pension with bells on. I'm talking about the one we're not getting because the level of benefits being paid out are not sustainable.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Today's state pension is a DB pension with bells on. I'm talking about the one we're not getting because the level of benefits being paid out are not sustainable.

what bells are those ?

pension credit and full council tax benefit, cold weather payments and the rest - only if you have not contributed enough /anything

winter - fuel allowance - £2 per week per person

free bus pass - only useful if you live where there are great public transport facilities (er - like London)

Christmas box - £10 per annum

the basic state pension if you have enough NI credits is around £115 per week, SERPS (the add-on) was a DC benefit as it was paid for (clue in the name - earnings related pension)

personally I feel that if someone has a DB pension from the government they should not get a state pension AS WELL

Edited by olliegog

HOLA443

Garbled economics.

Do you assume that the benefits system should function like a lottery?

err.....no.

someone above reckons TC suppress wages. What kind of fantasy world is that in? Employers will do anything to reduce cost to maximize profits, anyone who runs a business knows that.

Why is virtually all manufacturing done in places like China and India? Because life is cheap in those countries, the lower end of the workforce are treated like farm animals.These places are highly productive but you can hardly argue that employers are tripping over each other with fistfuls of cash for their workers.

The percentage of my taxes that go on TC I can happily live with as I'm certain half of the payments my customers make are coming from TC.

HOLA444

Market rates are fair.

If you want to help the poor then the government should be doing something about the cost of living; largely by stopping doing some of the things it does.

Taking money, often from the working poor, to give to part time poor who end up earning more than some people could ever earn in their lives is monstrous. I find it hard to believe anybody can truly defend it.

What!? You think the government won't take it anyway? Yes the cost of housing is high but that is largely due to speculation and bank credit creation against property. It may seem like the cost of living is high but maybe that's because our standard of living in this country is relatively high.

So what you seem to be saying is:

If a thief breaks into your house and steals your money and spends your money on fags and booze. You should be grateful to the thief because without him spending into the economy you might lose your job.

eh........?

HOLA445

Market rates are fair.

If you want to help the poor then the government should be doing something about the cost of living; largely by stopping doing some of the things it does.

Taking money, often from the working poor, to give to part time poor who end up earning more than some people could ever earn in their lives is monstrous. I find it hard to believe anybody can truly defend it.

100% agree.

All the claimants who get more than non-claimants, means non-claimants have to work harder and pay higher prices in the economy, including rents imo.

HOLA446

+1. A good percentage of BTL is funded by HB. HB sets market rent. So a person who is renting and is a non claimant is effectively contributing towards HB via tax, his/her own rent at a higher value due to HB and BTL LLs mortgage and tax relief.

HB and all other separate benefits should be clubbed as a single pay pack. I find it very unfair that people working in London have to commute long distance to pay towards someone who doesn't work or get their own rents set according to HB.

Many had to move out of London away from their families, communities and no HB claimant cwame to support them.

Edited by Fairyland

HOLA447
HOLA448

+1. A good percentage of BTL is funded by HB. HB sets market rent. So a person who is renting and is a non claimant is effectively contributing towards HB via tax, his/her own rent at a higher value due to HB and BTL LLs mortgage and tax relief.

It certainly feels like I am certainly contributing towards other claimants' HB or subsidised housing. Like the household in the Housing Assoc. bungalow near mine that has a nice 13 reg Fiesta in the drive. I'm trying to save up for a newer car myself (never mind a deposit for a house!) and it's bloody hard. I claim no benefits whatsoever and I'm paying 50% of my take home pay in rent. <_<

It's about time singletons like me, who aren't deemed a housing priority but paying a sh*tload of rent are given a break. This £5bn cuts in welfare is a step in the right direction.

HOLA449

It certainly feels like I am certainly contributing towards other claimants' HB or subsidised housing. Like the household in the Housing Assoc. bungalow near mine that has a nice 13 reg Fiesta in the drive. I'm trying to save up for a newer car myself (never mind a deposit for a house!) and it's bloody hard. I claim no benefits whatsoever and I'm paying 50% of my take home pay in rent. <_<

It's about time singletons like me, who aren't deemed a housing priority but paying a sh*tload of rent are given a break. This £5bn cuts in welfare is a step in the right direction.

You need to eat more if you want a nice, new car.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3124927/A-30-stone-motorist-killed-jogger-ran-red-light-begs-judge-not-jail-claiming-fat-prison.html

Scroll down and see that what she was driving.

HOLA4410

You need to eat more if you want a nice, new car.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3124927/A-30-stone-motorist-killed-jogger-ran-red-light-begs-judge-not-jail-claiming-fat-prison.html

Scroll down and see that what she was driving.

:(

I'm looking at getting an economical city car like a Fiat Panda. If I eat more to match her 30 stone then I wouldn't be able to fit inside the damn thing. :lol: It'll be dangerously slow as well - 0 to 60 mph in 1m 45 secs! :D

No thanks, I'm happly with my 11 stone 2lbs. :unsure: The obesity epidemic is probably why 4x4 SUV w@nk tanks are so popular these days. :rolleyes:

That article is worthy of a new thread! Her white SUV w@nk tank is Motability then? If so then I hope they never lease her another car.

Her defence team are trying to dissuade the judge from imposing a custodial sentence. However, a spell in prison might do her some good - like it did that guy from Ipswich for a time - albeit before gorging some more and becoming the UKs heaviest man. Prisoners can't dictate how much or what they can eat.