House Price Crash Forum

The Urban Bully Boys... Cyclists

crashmonitor

HOLA441

I ride everywhere. It's liberating. No bother with officialdom wanting licences, paperwork, or sobriety.

Of course there are nutters astride the saddle - but I'd always rather they were on a bike than behind the wheel of a tonne or two or metal at 50 mph.

I always used to ride everywhere when I lived in Germany and I didn't feel the need to own a car. I had one of those little trailers to transport my son around, and he used to love riding in it. Since moving back to the UK, though, I felt that I had no choice but to buy a car to ferry him about. Compared to Germany, provision for cycling, at least in my area, is pathetic, and so many car drivers here seem to have appalling road sense when it comes to dealing with cyclists.

Case in point: I nipped out to the shops on my bike today, and on the way back I had to move out into the road to circumvent the end of a parked vehicle that was poking into the road from a driveway. This didn't stop the idiot in the Qashqai following behind me from overtaking, squeezing between me and the oncoming traffic with centimeters to spare as I passed the parked vehicle. Would it really have hurt her to have slowed down briefly until I'd passed it?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I had a trailer for my sprogs - they loved it. I was car free back then so we went everywhere with it. I'm hoping to get a cargo trailer soon - for grocery runs and to fill it with beach stuff (towels, food, inflatable canoe, etc) for summer beach days.

There's no "facilities" round here. Although I did manage to get a car parking space in the village removed and a couple of "sheffield stand" bike racks put in instead.

When it comes to "narrows" I try to apply the ostrich technique[1] to overcome the might-makes-right attitude of someone driving.

[1] I make damn sure the driver doesn't realise I've seen him. Head down, hat pulled low and play "chicken". I usually win!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443

Nothing wrong with Lycra, Pin! It's practical, comfortable, and stylish. Look!

bulge+team.jpg

Reminds me of the electricity meters we had in my childhood.

Electricity%20Meter%203.jpg

More stylish lycra from the Colombian women's cycling team...

BxWi_33IQAEhQO-.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/colombian-womens-cycling-team-causes-stir-with-unfortunate-naked-jersey-design-9732037.html

HOLA444

... and on the way back I had to move out into the road to circumvent the end of a parked vehicle that was poking into the road from a driveway. This didn't stop the idiot in the Qashqai following behind me from overtaking, squeezing between me and the oncoming traffic with centimeters to spare as I passed the parked vehicle. Would it really have hurt her to have slowed down briefly until I'd passed it?

We have instutionalised anticyclism in the UK. It's not just the attitude of the drivers, the underlying ethos is still making it more dangerous at every stage. Everything is done to maximise traffic flow, because the tickboxers at the department of transport have put a price on that, and it's finacially more advantageous than making life more safe and pleasant.

In the little vilage where my parents live, they've "smoothed" the side road junction with the main road, so that cars don't have to stop any more, keeps the traffic moving faster through the village, and now the junction is about 20 yards wide, amd the traffic isnt coming to rest, so pedestrians have to walk 20 yards down the road to where it is safer. So the residents, mostly pensioners, heve to detour at 40 or 50 yards, when they just want to walk up the road, just so the traffic can flow a few mph faster.

We should be doing exactly the opposite, introducing measures to slow all forms of traffic down.

HOLA445

I'm one of these "MAMIL's" as they're known lol

I also ride a mountain bike when I've had enough of inconsiderate drivers or if I want to cycle between 3pm - 7pm in the city.

You have to choose your time for the road bike I usually go out between 11am and 3pm.

I notice a marked difference to others behaviour towards me when riding each bike. On the mountain bike people are generally courteous and may even say hello if your on an off road shared path.

Don the Lycra and take the road bike out and it's a different story.

I have loads of tales, I try to be considerate when on road and don't take the lane and then I get cars passing within inches making 3 lanes out of 2.

I had a car driver think he could turn right across me without a clear exit road and I had to swerve to avoid him, I protested and he couldn't let it go he actually went out of his way to follow me and yelled "w*****" out the window at me.

A fella who likes to walk his dog on a local shared cycle path without a lead so it runs everywhere despite there being a whole field to one side and a beach to the other (despite me moving right to the edge so I'm skimming the grass) still thinks he can shout at me as if I shouldn't be using the cycle path. It's actually designated hampshire cycle route no2 it goes from southampton all the way to Brighton. I never say anything in return just ride on I think it winds him up even more.

I fitted a bell to my road bike for this reason but I feel some people take it as arrogant if you ring it when approaching them.

To add: I'm a runner and a car driver of 20yrs (I've paid my road tax) as well as a cyclist.

I have also taken out 3rd party cycle insurance at a cost of £95 a yr.

This covers personal injury to me and damages to any 3rd party up to 2 million.

HOLA446

Hah! You can't win with bells. Don't ring it and get a sarky "don't bikes have bells anymore? ". Ring it and get "don't ring your bell at me! "

I've had both. On the same cyclepath. And, I'm fairly certain, from the same old bag.

I try to stay on the road these days.

HOLA447

I'm one of these "MAMIL's" as they're known lol

I also ride a mountain bike when I've had enough of inconsiderate drivers or if I want to cycle between 3pm - 7pm in the city.

You have to choose your time for the road bike I usually go out between 11am and 3pm.

I notice a marked difference to others behaviour towards me when riding each bike. On the mountain bike people are generally courteous and may even say hello if your on an off road shared path.

Don the Lycra and take the road bike out and it's a different story.

I have loads of tales, I try to be considerate when on road and don't take the lane and then I get cars passing within inches making 3 lanes out of 2.

I had a car driver think he could turn right across me without a clear exit road and I had to swerve to avoid him, I protested and he couldn't let it go he actually went out of his way to follow me and yelled "w*****" out the window at me.

A fella who likes to walk his dog on a local shared cycle path without a lead so it runs everywhere despite there being a whole field to one side and a beach to the other (despite me moving right to the edge so I'm skimming the grass) still thinks he can shout at me as if I shouldn't be using the cycle path. It's actually designated hampshire cycle route no2 it goes from southampton all the way to Brighton. I never say anything in return just ride on I think it winds him up even more.

I fitted a bell to my road bike for this reason but I feel some people take it as arrogant if you ring it when approaching them.

To add: I'm a runner and a car driver of 20yrs (I've paid my road tax) as well as a cyclist.

I have also taken out 3rd party cycle insurance at a cost of £95 a yr.

This covers personal injury to me and damages to any 3rd party up to 2 million.

I feel I've rejoined the road biking ranks properly now as a driver tried to knock me off yesterday. Single lane approaching roundabout where the road widens and splits into three lanes (left turn only, ahead only and right turn only), I was heading straight over but as there were three cars in the ahead lane waiting to join the roundabout I eased off to allow them time to clear before I arrived, and took primary position in the lane as it started to open out before the split into three. This was also to allow cars behind to go left and right without being blocked by me as the road was widening to the point they could get through to the empty left and right lanes although the markings had not started. With about ten metres to cover before the back of the waiting cars, the numpty behind me half overtakes and then proceeds to move across the road into the now marked ahead lane, and in doing so tries to force me out of it. Comes to something when you're rolling along and frantically knocking on the passenger window of a car to try and stop them knocking you off (especially as the car that was previously behind them was now on my inside in the turn left lane so I had nowhere to go). They did drop back to be fair after I had knocked on the window a few times but it's pretty depressing that they even attempted to get past. If the person had managed to get past me properly they would have had to stand on their brakes almost immediately to come to a complete stop a few metres hence as the traffic hadn't cleared in the ahead lane in any case.

A sobering lesson in the fact that you can try and ride in a defensive but assertive manner but that does neglect the fact that some people are very poor drivers and are simply incapable of anticipation and moderating speed etc to suit the conditions. They just drive until they have to stop.

HOLA448

Holding the lane (primary position) seems to infuriate drivers. Especially if there are two lanes and you have to hold the right hand lane.

It seems to drive them literally crazy even if you hold them up for just a few seconds, but sometimes you have to do it because otherwise you'll get squashed if you hug the gutter.

I don't use right hand lanes anymore now, as a white van man tried to run me off the road on one. I just get off and walk, it's less stressful.

HOLA449

I wear headphones so don't hear the intimidation and threats. I rely on making sure that i'm seen and on the assumption that there are very few people who'd escalate threats to actual murder in plain view.

If it comes to a simple fight then they're welcome to take their chances.

HOLA4410

I wear headphones so don't hear the intimidation and threats. I rely on making sure that i'm seen and on the assumption that there are very few people who'd escalate threats to actual murder in plain view.

I'm not sure that wearing headphones is such a good idea. I find that I want all the sensory information I can get while cycling!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I do zen cycling. The world will flow around me.

And, if it doesn't, headphones mean that I'll not suffer hearing it coming.

Close your eyes and you won't see it coming either.

On a serious note, once upon a time I used to cycle with a club that had a member who was absolutely deaf. Don't assume other road users can hear you!

HOLA4413

Since the GIRO was in NI, the country has gone cycling mad. There are bikes & Lycra everywhere, and very rarely are they on the cycle lanes. There are roads that I avoid now because of the confusion. I think we need some road safety education over here on how to cope, all of us, the drivers, the bikers, cyclists and pedestrians. It's a bit of a mess. The GIRO was brilliant though.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

The only education needed is to remind people to take care commensurate with what they're doing on the streets.

If you're strolling, you can't do much harm so do what you wish. Run, stagger home drunk etc. At the other extreme, if you want to take a car out then do so with much, much greater care and respect for those around you.

With a car, carelessly bumping into someone can't be made good with a simple "sorry".

HOLA4416

We have instutionalised anticyclism in the UK. It's not just the attitude of the drivers, the underlying ethos is still making it more dangerous at every stage. Everything is done to maximise traffic flow, because the tickboxers at the department of transport have put a price on that, and it's finacially more advantageous than making life more safe and pleasant.

In the little vilage where my parents live, they've "smoothed" the side road junction with the main road, so that cars don't have to stop any more, keeps the traffic moving faster through the village, and now the junction is about 20 yards wide, amd the traffic isnt coming to rest, so pedestrians have to walk 20 yards down the road to where it is safer. So the residents, mostly pensioners, heve to detour at 40 or 50 yards, when they just want to walk up the road, just so the traffic can flow a few mph faster.

We should be doing exactly the opposite, introducing measures to slow all forms of traffic down.

What village is that?

HOLA4417

I'd not wear headphones personally like someone said hearing is one of the main senses although I have been caught out by one of those modern really quiet cars like a hybrid or something. You get a butt clencher when you identify the sound of a HGV artic behind you, the trailers are scary a they pass.

Yeah a lot of people just gob off and don't escalate it or may get out and front you up but like someone said above they're not likely to take it to serious violence although you never know.

I've just got back from a 33 mile ride took it 2 seafront towns lee on Solent and hill head down here in Hampshire so quiet between 11am - 3pm I call it a day after 3 as the traffic builds too much.

fantastic weather here too this week nice and hot 24 deg.

HOLA4418

I only occasionally cycle, I guess I'm lucky when it's come to some shared tracks (old railway lines) in that I've never had any trouble. I've had to slow down when catching up with pedestrians spread out across it (which I wish they wouldn't do) but most of the time they've heard me coming and moved without complaining. A couple of times I've given them a light ting on the bell and they've still moved without complaint. Most of the time a bit of give and take is fine - walking I expect to have to step out of the way every now and then and cycling I expect to have to slow down when meeting people.

HOLA4419

Hah! You can't win with bells. Don't ring it and get a sarky "don't bikes have bells anymore? ". Ring it and get "don't ring your bell at me! "

I've had both. On the same cyclepath. And, I'm fairly certain, from the same old bag.

I try to stay on the road these days.

Actually I never use the horn, when in the car! It just makes people jumpy and shouty! I am not Italian!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Some ***** has gone and crushed my back wheel. It wasn't one of you cycle haters was it?

I'm not a cycle hater! There are some complete "lippy" ones though! ^_^

HOLA4422

I'd not wear headphones personally like someone said hearing is one of the main senses although I have been caught out by one of those modern really quiet cars like a hybrid or something. You get a butt clencher when you identify the sound of a HGV artic behind you, the trailers are scary a they pass.

Yeah a lot of people just gob off and don't escalate it or may get out and front you up but like someone said above they're not likely to take it to serious violence although you never know.

I've just got back from a 33 mile ride took it 2 seafront towns lee on Solent and hill head down here in Hampshire so quiet between 11am - 3pm I call it a day after 3 as the traffic builds too much.

fantastic weather here too this week nice and hot 24 deg.

One of the reasons I wear headphones and crank up the volume is that I was once hit by someone driving a car. It was a proper, serious prang that saw me carted away in an ambulance and off work for months. I found it very, very hard to get back in the saddle - I kept getting "the fear" whenever a car came close and, particularly when something was bearing down on me from behind. And not some namby-pampy "a little bit nervous" fear either - full on shakes!

Very strange. Anyway, I cured it with ear-plug style headphones and loud music. I can now calmly swan around the Quay Street roundabout[1] or the Titchfield Gyratory without curling up in a ball and whimpering. Although I do get a bit twitchy when a truck hoves into earshot behind me and revs up to overtake. Buses and transit style vans are the worst.

[1] to use two examples with which you may be familiar. Sustrans Route 2 used to be my commute. A fantastic ride along the coast - not too many cars on the on-road bits and easily "tamed" when there are enough people on bikes out (Summer evenings). Only downside was tendancy for high tide and storms to make the Haven bit somewhat wave-sodden.

HOLA4423

That's harsh mate, well done getting back in the saddle.

My 6th sense you develop as a car driver over many years has helped me, you know like when your driving a car and you sense that the car off to the left is about to cut you up and it does.

I wish it was more like the Netherlands here where cars are automatically at fault if a cyclist is struck & better bike focused infrastructure.

Cycling is free and you don't have to pay the government a penny for the privilege unlike the costs of keeping a motor vehicle on the road.

But like someone said earlier in the thread it's all about keeping up with the jones's and status symbols with cars (even if it is all on tick).

There is bike snobbery among the "velominati" as well though, someone on a £3k machine may scoff at someone on a £1k machine feeling smug that their grade of carbon is higher lol

Are you from around titchfeild way? I'm in woolston southampton sustrans route 2 makes up a big part of my usual rides.

HOLA4424

Used to live near Hook - still ride round there a fair bit, though. It's a pretty nice area really - considering it's sandwiched between two big cities with all the positives and negatives they bring. I grew up in proper deep countryside - but rather like the rural/urban littoral zone; fields, beaches and birdsong but still only a short bus trip (or bike ride) to Pompey.

HOLA4425

I was out again today had a run out to stokes bay from woolston via the warsash ferry-hill head-lee on solent. went through some nice rural areas and countryside with fields either side off the road. 36.5 miles round trip.

The old skipper on the ferry said there would be a headwind all the way down to stokes bay & he wasn't wrong lol

Archived