House Price Crash Forum

Apple On Verge Of Paying $3.2Bn For Dr Dre Beats

HOLA441
HOLA442

Really odd purchase. Apple has the brand, and presumably the tech to do the online music services. Though my experience of iTunes was that it was shockingly bad but that was many years ago.

What I am saying us Apple could make their own headphones and people would buy them ?

Maybe Facebook want them and its to stop god buying them.

Still bloody awful. Marginally less worse on the Mac. Mind you the competition is utter crap too. Android rarely seems to remember where you were last time you were listening and playlists are apparently supported but I'm damned if I can get them to work reliably. Winamp is better than most.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You *are* joking, right? :o I bought this in 1999, when did Jobs 'invent' his iPod again?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rio_PMP300

He spent his last 15 years plagiarising, beautifying & bullying, unfortunately. On topic, I think Apple are going to discover it's the Dr. Dre link people buy Beats 'phones for, once that's gone what have you got left? Actually it'll be a perfect fit for Apple products post-Jobs ...

The link that you posted is (ironically) very relevant - it completely confirms Sour Mash's point. There's a whole section of the Wikipedia article devoted to the flaws of the Rio. Then Apple comes along with the iPod, which Just Works without weird sh*t like battery covers falling off, or the software locking up on a regular basis. And consumers flock to the Apple product.

HOLA446

I read somewhere they have 55% market share of the expensive headphone market. The way they've convinced people to shell out a fortune on mediocre headphones is pretty impressive, really shows what big brand whores a lot of folk are.

Yeah, they're crap.

At least Apple produces quality devices

Edited by Eddie_George

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Watch Apple start doing Beats speakers in Macs, and they'll remove the feature from PCs. They'll most likely start putting them with ipads & stuff, which will give them a reason of charging a ridiculous extra markup...

Says it all really... http://beatsbydre.edublogs.org/2012/10/24/top-50-hottest-celebrities-wearing-beats-by-dre-headphones/ They're a fashion accessory more than anything else...You could go for Bose, Fanny Wang, Sennheiser, Audio Technica...I suspect anything would be better...

HOLA4411

Watch Apple start doing Beats speakers in Macs, and they'll remove the feature from PCs. They'll most likely start putting them with ipads & stuff, which will give them a reason of charging a ridiculous extra markup...

Meh. Beats is nothing special. I mean if you buy up the supply of high-res LCD panels, or you develop your own OS, then that's a USP. But in terms of putting them in Macs, there's a big problem, in that speakers (unlike headphones) by simple physics, must be very large. That's why modern TVs now basically require external speakers - they've got thinner and sleaker, and the speakers become more and more useless. There is nothing in 'Beats' that can turn an ipad into a hifi. It's physically impossible, and it would seriously compromise the ipad's usability/appearance if they

even tried.

There are a few laptops with a brand on the in-built speakers, which does mean they are slightly less crappy, but they are still absolute crap compared with a decent set of bookshelf or sub + satellites.

HOLA4412

Meh. Beats is nothing special. I mean if you buy up the supply of high-res LCD panels, or you develop your own OS, then that's a USP. But in terms of putting them in Macs, there's a big problem, in that speakers (unlike headphones) by simple physics, must be very large. That's why modern TVs now basically require external speakers - they've got thinner and sleaker, and the speakers become more and more useless. There is nothing in 'Beats' that can turn an ipad into a hifi. It's physically impossible, and it would seriously compromise the ipad's usability/appearance if they

even tried.

There are a few laptops with a brand on the in-built speakers, which does mean they are slightly less crappy, but they are still absolute crap compared with a decent set of bookshelf or sub + satellites.

You'd probably see those speakers in Macbook Pro's & Airs...

I wouldn't be surprised to see them bring out a range of speakers that will be able to be used via Airplay - to try and compete against Sonos...I've got a pair of Beats in-ear's - and they're nothing special...They'll prob also do bundles with iphones, ipods and ipads that are Beats branded, which come with Beats headphones, or something...It'll all a gimmick anyway...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Says it all really... http://beatsbydre.edublogs.org/2012/10/24/top-50-hottest-celebrities-wearing-beats-by-dre-headphones/ They're a fashion accessory more than anything else...You could go for Bose, Fanny Wang, Sennheiser, Audio Technica...I suspect anything would be better...

It really makes no sense these must just be a brand slapped on someone else's technology - unless Dre is an overlooked genius with a soldering iron - why not just buy the technology?

HOLA4415

It really makes no sense these must just be a brand slapped on someone else's technology - unless Dre is an overlooked genius with a soldering iron - why not just buy the technology?

Well if you buy the company, as it seems Apple are, you buy the brand and the patents...It makes sense for Apple, as there must be a fairly large overlap of those consumers who buy Apple and Beats.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Well, apparently

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garydallen/2014/05/08/apples-purchase-of-beats-is-about-sharing-music/

" But more importantly for Apple, the company holds patents on certain software technology, and operates a subscription streaming music service that could help Apple’s iTunes service expand in reach and quality."

They bought out the Logic sequencer- that's their biggie.

HOLA4418

Apple not being stupid here. They already sell beats for a living. They know the customer, know the margins, know the products and know the potential with steaming services. They know it's crazy but have more data than you on how good crazy it is. Just having a recognised brand made of the word "beats" is nice.

Edited by cica

HOLA4419

Was speaking in the office the other day about iTunes. Everyone said it's the weakness in the system. Sometimes it's awful indeed but the iPhone is less tethered to it these days.

Apple headphones have never been good - no not talking about audiophile warmth and all that tosh, talking about comfort and basic sound quality.

It is strange the headphones seem like an afterthought which does leave opportunity for other manufacturers. Now Apple want the slice of pie ?

HOLA4420

If only the public sector had bought more RM Nimbus stuff then the world tech sector would have been based here in the UK.

Not only the public sector.

RM Nimbus should have been hugely supported and built upon - their stuff was incredible, another firm whose things got copied by Apple.

Bloody typical UK culture of not appreciating quality design.