House Price Crash Forum

I Think This House Is Worthy Of It`s Own Thread

longgone

HOLA441

Whilst I'm partial to a bit of diy and would never choose one myself I know lots of people would much rather move into one of these freshly modernised properties. Not to mention the fact that lots of buyers don't have the cash required to do work themselves, and places like this allow them to put all the cost on a mortgage.

I think they do a pretty good job in modernising or sad old housing stock too, albeit blandly.

Flipping houses and expecting to be paid for doing nothing is one thing but a builder modernising a place is adding value so deserves to be paid for it.

I tend to agree.

HPI does improve the quality of a lot of houses, extensions and so on, because the land is so valuable. The ones that aren't turned into flats, that is.

People complain about the price of Victorian terraces in London, but they do get a much better standard of finish than the ones in Liverpool.

Not worth it, of course, it's just an observation.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The elder sister of a friend of mine was doing this in the early 90s and I couldn't work out why she made so much money. 20 years later, and untold TV shows about it and I still just don't really understand.

I`ve met a few flippers/renovaters over the years and they seemed to come across as pushy, confident people with not much real empathy, who are not afraid to haggle with any tradespeople, and anyone who has to be negotiated with during the process. There only goal is the bottom line and they focus on that.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of flippers are actual builders...I think not so many as people might believe..

Edited by GinAndPlatonic

HOLA443

650k for a house in Tolworth miles away from Surbiton station hahahahahahahahahaha.

I don't think so.

The pound has got to be the long term casualty of this lunacy.

That is the problem. Only last year, you could have bought an identical house to this in the best part of Surbiton for this money, and Tolworth has always been at least a third cheaper, often more like half the price. This means that next time we see a house like this come on in Surbiton it could be £1m. :lol:

HOLA444

You have to get into the global Psyche. It is a simple one, and can be summed up in one sentence.

London = £1m house.

Shrugs..

You are probably right, but only if global buyers put their money down without ever visiting it!

I don't think that a lot of foreign buyers could actually realise how vast 'London' actually is in terms of it's suburbs and how disconnected from the centre a lot of the suburbs are.

Of course, you get the super-suburbs like Richmond and Wimbledon Village where prices rival some of central London because of a great combination of connections, housing stock and green space, but there are not many of these!

Kingston and Surbiton itself are probably in the next, more distant, level down, but Tolworth is something else entirely. It has a poor rail connection, no green space or amenities to speak of, and the high street is only great if you like to collect your own takeaway pizza.

There are a lot of areas in zones 3/4 now which are also very poor and are commanding similar money, but at least they have a fast train line and often a tube connection as well.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I`ve met a few flippers/renovaters over the years and they seemed to come across as pushy, confident people with not much real empathy, who are not afraid to haggle with any tradespeople, and anyone who has to be negotiated with during the process. There only goal is the bottom line and they focus on that.

It would be interesting to know what percentage of flippers are actual builders...I think not so many as people might believe..

My new landlord is a builder/flipper - He bought the bungalow in 2005 for £174,000, has been trying to flog it for £200k since 2011.

New kitche, carpets, shower room, etc.. Nice place!

The house two doors down has just sold for £170k.

Even with a substantial deposit, it is better for me to rent the house, rather than rent the money to buy the house and have to up keep the building, buildings insurance, misc. maintenance and the elusive life insurance that I would inevitably take out.

Difference between buying and renting it is about £3k per year against a 10 year fixed. The reason for the 10 year fixed is that the probability of a financial crisis is atleast 200% (I believe that there will be two of them).

TBH, £3k per year is not a lot these days.

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

HOLA448

do i know you ??

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Well, in fairness, isn't that called "business"?

Not how I do business, it's true, but then I'm a crap businessman.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Well, in fairness, isn't that called "business"?

Absolutely. I'd imagine you have to be very hard-nosed to maximise profit in this 'game', especially if you are a developer with limited building skills or contacts in the trades.

The thing is, I am not sure that you need to really be any good at it or bother maximising profit at all with a market like this. This guy has done the house up quite cheaply whilst making it as big as possible and is now looking to set a completely new level of sale price for the road.

He will make a spectactular profit if he pulls this off, but even if he had completely overspent on the work and accepts a lot less at the other end, he would still have made more of a profit in a few months than most people make from a proper job in a year, and he probably has either a proper job or a bunch of these renovations going on at the same time.

Alternatively, he could have just locked it up and left it and made 20% which is still a lot more than bank interest.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

EPC rating C = Fail

No Parking = Fail

No Garage = Fail

Crumbling 1900's materials = FAIL.

Fireplaces that only 2% of the UK population use = Fail

For that price I would EXPECT the house to be torn down a rebuilt with energy efficient materials (cavity walls) and solar water at least.

I am sure some savvy will snap it up :lol:

Edited by Wurzel Of Highbridge

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Tolworth is epically nasty. Somethin akin to Feltham.

I agree, but I think it is the housing type that is attracting people to Tolworth. This type of Victorian housing is definitely in vogue for a certain type of buyer at the moment, and places like Feltham will never do so well because it is mainly inter-war stock.

The strange thing is that the other areas that seem to be racing up in value are actually well connected areas closer into London, and Tolworth isn't that. I don't think it is quite as rough as Feltham, but on the few occasions I have been down there, I have not seen any signs of 'gentrification' at all, certainly nothing to match the house price increase.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Whilst I'm partial to a bit of diy and would never choose one myself I know lots of people would much rather move into one of these freshly modernised properties. Not to mention the fact that lots of buyers don't have the cash required to do work themselves, and places like this allow them to put all the cost on a mortgage.

I think they do a pretty good job in modernising or sad old housing stock too, albeit blandly.

Flipping houses and expecting to be paid for doing nothing is one thing but a builder modernising a place is adding value so deserves to be paid for it.

I tend to agree. Not many people are able to move in and modernise at the same time for various reasons, funds, skills, project management skill, or just for practicality if you have kids or someone you need to look after.

Or paying rent and mortgage and renovation at the same time.

I think there is a need for builders to modernise old properties and sell if off. I think people are more aghast on profit that they make or disgusted on the amateur flippers doing very bad job modernising properties.

HOLA4425

Makes sense if you can get it for a good price. E.g., £350k in Feltham instead of £700k in Molesey, say.

But when you are paying the same price, f*** off.

That is what hasn't really been tested yet. There are not many houses of this type in what I would consider a decent part of Surbiton, so none have been on the market in a few months.

When there were some on last year, they are around this type of price. I am not sure if that means Tolworth has caught up or whether Surbiton is going to see it's first £1m terraced house next time one comes on the market!

Either way, very frightening.