House Price Crash Forum

Average Home In Uk Getting Smaller

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442

150,000 children are living in bedrooms partitioned into two

Around one in five homeowners have been forced to ‘stretch’ space

The most common type of home is a semi-detached, three-bedroom house

Remind me again how many people are affected by 'bedroom tax' for having too much space?

HOLA443
HOLA444

article-2535136-1A780E1C00000578-474_634x271.jpg

As another poster here has said, (hotairmail?), it's just like the packet of Smarties that gets smaller while the price stays the same- another manifestation of inflation, nothing more or less.

What should the HPI indices be uplifted by to account for smaller homes and plot sizes? 20% 30%? Some newbuilds I've seen are literally on plots half the size of (nominally identical) houses built 50, 60, 70 years previously.

Is this progress?

HOLA445

As another poster here has said, (hotairmail?), it's just like the packet of Smarties that gets smaller while the price stays the same- another manifestation of inflation, nothing more or less.

What should the HPI indices be uplifted by to account for smaller homes and plot sizes? 20% 30%? Some newbuilds I've seen are literally on plots half the size of (nominally identical) houses built 50, 60, 70 years previously.

Is this progress?

We just bought a large-ish 4-bed detached on Berks-Surrey border. Built 1961 - originally a 2-bed bungalow. No pressure on space back then: the plot is a third of an acre.

I reckon you could take the land from any pair of houses in the street (just about all have been extended, in our case extended 3 times) demolish them and put maybe 12 modern 3-4 bed houses on the plot. In fact the LA would probably require you to.

When we were looking it was utterly depressing to see how small some 'gardens' were for largish houses, new builds in particular but even with some 80s and 90s houses, some seemed to have no garden space left after the obligatory kitchen extension (or in some cases, cheap conservatory) had been added.

Luxury = space in my book.

HOLA446

Is this progress?

Yep, I have often thought there should be a per square metre price index. I also think that when family homes are carved up into flats that they count in the new homes stats. Two to six 'new' homes each time with no greenbelt being built on. What could be wrong with that?

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Houses getting smaller + people getting bigger. Wonderful.

Now you said houses, but the title was "homes"! I remember my mum telling me off,and said if I didn't behave, she would put me in a "home"! I don't think she meant it, but "homes" means to me a cardboard flat on the 15th floor with a lift full of syringes, that smells of wee! :huh:

HOLA4412

150,000 children are living in bedrooms partitioned into two

Around one in five homeowners have been forced to ‘stretch’ space

The most common type of home is a semi-detached, three-bedroom house

Remind me again how many people are affected by 'bedroom tax' for having too much space?

A very good argument for the bedroom tax.