House Price Crash Forum

Three Quarters Of People Staying In For New Year

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

All the pubs packed and many charging entrance fees, massive queues at the bar; New Year's Eve is the one night of the year that I don't even consider going out.

It’s usually the biggest night out of the year – but three-quarters of us will stay at home this New Year’s Eve, says a survey.

The high price of taxis, venue entry and drinks means the average New Year’s night out costs £73, leaving 37 per cent of us worrying about the budget

A separate survey by Post Office Home Insurance also found that one in 10 people were planning on not spending any money at all on New Year's Eve.

The Post Office study of more than 2,000 people revealed revellers were planning to spend £50 typically on seeing in 2014, £9 less than they had budgetted for last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530459/A-big-night-New-Years-Eve-three-quarters-staying-home.html

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

my last New Years Eve night out was 1998, we refused to pay the prices in 1999. Since then, not going out New Years Eve has become the norm.

We've been invited to a onsie party this year, think I may have to go to the pub ;)

Not been to the sales, will not be going out new years eve......bliss. :P

HOLA445
HOLA446

Not been to the sales, will not be going out new years eve......bliss. :P

I expect you will be sitting round a home made candle reading second hand books, and eating lentil stew again! ;):blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

:lol: ...don't give me ideas......I will be going for a long walk though. :)

Carry your shoes, so they don't wear out! :blink:

Obviously I applaud thrift, but Frank has given me the lust for a new fountain pen! :blink:

The last one I bought took ages to arrive, because I ordered the spideriest nib, to save on ink! ;)

HOLA4410

Obviously I applaud thrift, but Frank has given me the lust for a new fountain pen! :blink:

The last one I bought took ages to arrive, because I ordered the spideriest nib, to save on ink! ;)

Black or blue?

I have a yearning for purple ink.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Go on splash out and treat yourself.....has to be an italic nib, turquoise ink is very stylish. ;)

HOLA4414

Go on splash out and treat yourself.....has to be an italic nib, turquoise ink is very stylish. ;)

I am afraid I am a left hander. There used to be sort of weird hooked nibs, for the benefit of us disabled people when I was at school, and at school, a fountain pen was compulsory! :blink: We had not yet moved into the age of the ballpoint! ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Dark blue surely? I did once have a flirtation with black ink but it looked wrong so never again.

Then there was my greeny turquoise period, a misadventure caused by pouring the dregs of somebody else's ink into my bottle and it had an adverse reaction.

The paper shop (And I mean they sold paper rather than papers) by the cathedral in worcester used to supply us with all the colours of ink we could ever dream of.

Blue looks like ink in a way black doesn't quite.

HOLA4417

The paper shop (And I mean they sold paper rather than papers) by the cathedral in worcester used to supply us with all the colours of ink we could ever dream of.

Blue looks like ink in a way black doesn't quite.

I would have loved that place :)

Thinking back I did have blue and red inks on the go one time, purple sound a bit too self-indulgent - for Popes and Emperors only!

A South African writer (names escapes) always wrote in brown ink. That sounds wrong to me.

HOLA4418

I would have loved that place :)

Thinking back I did have blue and red inks on the go one time, purple sound a bit too self-indulgent - for Popes and Emperors only!

A South African writer (names escapes) always wrote in brown ink. That sounds wrong to me.

We used to go in and spend something outrageous like 20p on a sheet of paper and envelope.

Oh and that brings back memories of writers letters to blokes :)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

We used to go in and spend something outrageous like 20p on a sheet of paper and envelope.

Oh and that brings back memories of writers letters to blokes :)

Did they read them? :blink:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived