House Price Crash Forum

What Car To Get?

OnionTerror

HOLA441

Up to around £2.5k...My Alfa 156 is dying a death, so I'm looking for a good alternative...Been looking at Alfa 147's, and the older Seat Leon's but a half decent one is probably out of my price range...I do sort of like the Honda Accord, but that does shout middle management...Ideally diesel...any other ideas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Up to around £2.5k...My Alfa 156 is dying a death, so I'm looking for a good alternative...Been looking at Alfa 147's, and the older Seat Leon's but a half decent one is probably out of my price range...I do sort of like the Honda Accord, but that does shout middle management...Ideally diesel...any other ideas?

Do you want something sporty?

I had a VW Corrado VR6 for a while years ago.

I'd love another, but I don't have the money or need for it, I sold mine when I started working from home as the insurance was really expensive (group 19).

I don't know how much a good one is these days, but basically it's like having a Porsche with front wheel drive and a VW badge on the front. (Had a little race with a 911 in it once, and it walked all over the pretenders like the Nissan Sunny GTi-R Pulsar). Put your foot down in it, and the torque was incredible. The only thing that ever succeeded in getting away from me was an AMG Mercedes.

Handling and performance absolutely outstanding.

They're getting on a bit now though. I don't recall any particular problems with them, it was very reliable, but if anything went wrong with it you'd expect a three figure bill (e.g. a failed ABS sensor cost me about £200 to have replaced which was a lot back then) yet some parts were shared with the Golf (and possibly some of the Seats) and weren't expensive.

HOLA443

I'd love another, but I don't have the money or need for it, I sold mine when I started working from home as the insurance was really expensive (group 19).

I don't know how much a good one is these days, but basically it's like having a Porsche with front wheel drive and a VW badge on the front. (Had a little race with a 911 in it once, and it walked all over the pretenders like the Nissan Sunny GTi-R Pulsar). Put your foot down in it, and the torque was incredible. The only thing that ever succeeded in getting away from me was an AMG Mercedes.

Handling and performance absolutely outstanding.

They're getting on a bit now though. I don't recall any particular problems with them, it was very reliable, but if anything went wrong with it you'd expect a three figure bill (e.g. a failed ABS sensor cost me about £200 to have replaced which was a lot back then) yet some parts were shared with the Golf (and possibly some of the Seats) and weren't expensive.

Mine's currently a 51 plate, and its getting on a bit now...Looking newer, rather than older...I would have an older second car though...

HOLA444
HOLA445

Got an MG ZT last year and love it , your budget would get you a really nice one

A few common faults but never owned better bangs for bucks

HOLA446

A Focus/Modeo are well rated, watch for diesel issues though (DMF etc etc). Plenty about so you can be choosy.

Or the obvious choice of another Alfa?

The likes of a Focus or a Mondeo, for most people, are sensible choices..however, I like to get something a little bit different...My current motor has currently got Alfaitis (dodgy electrics)...even if I manage to get it fixed, its going...

Alfa Romeo do know how to make a car though (well, sort of)...

HOLA447

Ha ha! That's a very naughty car, Mark! :o

HOLA448

The likes of a Focus or a Mondeo, for most people, are sensible choices..however, I like to get something a little bit different...My current motor has currently got Alfaitis (dodgy electrics)...even if I manage to get it fixed, its going...

Alfa Romeo do know how to make a car though (well, sort of)...

I know the feeling! If you like Alfas, you might get another one! :blink:

They are famous for losing value fast, so you might get a good deal! Not a Diesel though, not in an Alfa. That is blasphemy! :huh:

HOLA449

I always fancied an old Mini, or maybe a Beetle. I have no idea how what the costs are running these old things. I imagine parts are expensive. But the fuel costs for a Mini must be great. Doubt I'll ever make it happen though. Ironically I see more Beetles over here in the US than I ever did in the UK. And the yanks love those tacky new Minis.

Anyway, I'm sure that's no help :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'd recommend a green one, no, wait - a blue one.

Mazdas are cracking cars for their second hand prices, like a Focus / Fiesta but way cheaper.

And bits don't fall off! :blink:

HOLA4412

Mazdas are cracking cars for their second hand prices, like a Focus / Fiesta but way cheaper.

Agreed, Mazda3 or Mazda6 is worth considering (I quite fancy a Mazda2 as my next car). Any Japanese make is, in my opinion. The Toyota Avensis has been widely praised whenever the topic of cars is raised. :)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

RX-8s are very nice but the engines suffer from poor reliability, which accounts for the low price. I wouldn't buy one without a thorough independent inspection.

Gosh!! If they are really that bad, it will be on my Christmas shopping list! Are parts hard to get, and really expensive, great! :blink:

HOLA4417

that is cheap. Not a bad looking car. these have the *****el rotary engine still? (I could google I suppose)

They do! (Funny how the name of that Rotary engine still got bleeped :lol: ) A supposed improvement of the old W_ankel engines but residuals of RX-8s 10 years later seem to indicate not much of an improvement.

HOLA4418

Didn't realise how little money these make...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-/9801/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mazda+rx8

VED for RX-8s can be prohibitive iirc. The post Mach 2006 examples, which fall into the revised upper banding system, will cost over £400/annum in VED alone. Examples built prior to that get £230/annum or thereabouts. None were built prior to the VED banding system of March 2001.

It may be the case that 2005 examples cost the more than later ones purely down to VED rates.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Ok, let's start with the basics.

1) what is the 156 and what is wrong with it. If it is a 2.0 Selespeed with a blown box and rusty rear floor pans, then yes, get rid. If it has rattling front suspension and is a V6, then the fixes are easy and you will struggle to buy anything better.

2) what mileage do you do? (Petrol or diesel)

3) what sort of driving do you do?

4) what configuration do you need? Small hatch, saloon, estate...?

RX8s a cheap for a reason - purchase price is simply the first installment.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Ok, let's start with the basics.

1) what is the 156 and what is wrong with it. If it is a 2.0 Selespeed with a blown box and rusty rear floor pans, then yes, get rid. If it has rattling front suspension and is a V6, then the fixes are easy and you will struggle to buy anything better.

2) what mileage do you do? (Petrol or diesel)

3) what sort of driving do you do?

4) what configuration do you need? Small hatch, saloon, estate...?

RX8s a cheap for a reason - purchase price is simply the first installment.

All good questions! And I see your opinion on the jerkel engine! Are these things really that awful? I never had one! :huh:

Regular Mazdas seem fine. Although I might be a bit shy of Diesels! :huh:

HOLA4423

Agreed, Mazda3 or Mazda6 is worth considering (I quite fancy a Mazda2 as my next car). Any Japanese make is, in my opinion. The Toyota Avensis has been widely praised whenever the topic of cars is raised. :)

It was recommended to me when I was asking for advice on my next car for my lengthy commute.

I have recently had a lift in one a couple of years old and said it had been recommended so asked a lot of questions.

In summary:

Good:

looks

engine quiet

good for motorways / dual carriage ways

sat nav built in

reverse parking camera (but see bad)

Bad:

electronic hand brake - the owner hated this, there is a serious loss of control versus a normal one

suspension - like a rock, drive on bumpy roads and it hurts. His wife hated the car as it gave her shocks and she now had a back problem

reverse parking camera (useless at night, sensors would be much better)

bit dull / plain inside

In short I won't be buying one.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived