House Price Crash Forum

Can You Dream A Feeling?

bendy

HOLA441

Say you dream someone close to you dies - it's not lucid or anything so for that bit of REM it's as real as reality. I wonder if the brain activity would be the same as per reality in the same situation.

^That wasn't my dream btw but I did 'dream a feeling' but don't appear to be able to recall it now awake - anyone ever held on to a dreamt fantasy/nightmare?

:unsure:

HOLA442
HOLA443

Over the last couple of years partner's father died, my uncle died, and my cat was put to sleep after a long illness.

My parents were on their way back from Cornwall last night and I was due to go and meet them at services en route to give Mum back her computer which I've been rebuilding.

My dream last night was that someone else (unidentified) and I were driving along the motorway when the car in front - which we were following - someone we knew (again unidentified) - and being driven by someone fatally ill - crashed.

First, the lights went off. Then it swerved to the left, went up a bank, and flew off the side of the motorway plunging into a field.

We stopped, and looked down at it. I knew the occupant was dead already anyway. There was no attempt to rescue them. Then we eventually drove on. This represented "closure" perhaps. I don't recall it feeling emotional at that point.

What continues to puzzle me is that in the field down below, another car appeared from nowhere with headlights on about fifty feet from the crashed one and the occupant (unidentified) seemed to be looking at it. Nobody got out. I wonder who that was or what that bit means.

HOLA444

In the old days the very very old days, in the days of Moses, Dreams were a precursor for what was going to happen, so yes that could be the future.

I wasn't particularly on about a premonition, more that can you experience something in dream state that you haven't actually experienced in real life?

Like when say someone has a child kidnapped, some dolt might say 'I know how you feel' to console them when in fact very few people would know how a parent in that situation feels. But if you dreamt you had lost a child, regardless of if you even had children or not, would you know (to a degree) how they felt?

HOLA445

I wasn't particularly on about a premonition, more that can you experience something in dream state that you haven't actually experienced in real life?

Like when say someone has a child kidnapped, some dolt might say 'I know how you feel' to console them when in fact very few people would know how a parent in that situation feels. But if you dreamt you had lost a child, regardless of if you even had children or not, would you know (to a degree) how they felt?

Well possibly. I posted a study about a period during sleep where your emotions entirely shut down to enable you to relive stressful incidents during the day dispassionately so you resolve them and do not carry them into next day (getting out the wrong side of bed). There is then a period where the emotions come back, maybe they come back with a rush so giving emotional content to a dream.

HOLA446

Say you dream someone close to you dies - it's not lucid or anything so for that bit of REM it's as real as reality. I wonder if the brain activity would be the same as per reality in the same situation.

^That wasn't my dream btw but I did 'dream a feeling' but don't appear to be able to recall it now awake - anyone ever held on to a dreamt fantasy/nightmare?

:unsure:

I woke up crying once cos I'd had a vivid dream of being at someone's funeral. Really crying, not just a few tears. Was very disturbing.

Couldn't tell you whose it was either now.

HOLA447

A very vivid dream i had was me flying a plane and being in control of it. I did actually realise i was in a dream at the time - but also actually 'felt' this experience that i have never had in real life. Extremely weird.

HOLA448

I had a dream once where I composed an amazing piece of music. I am not musical at all and have never played an instrument, and yet I was certain that I had created this and it was the most amazing piece of music ever! I woke up remembering it, and was fairly certain that it was original, but I had no way of recording it or writing it down and it quickly faded from my memory... It was an incredibly wonderful and yet frustrating feeling :)

HOLA449

I had a dream once where I composed an amazing piece of music. I am not musical at all and have never played an instrument, and yet I was certain that I had created this and it was the most amazing piece of music ever! I woke up remembering it, and was fairly certain that it was original, but I had no way of recording it or writing it down and it quickly faded from my memory... It was an incredibly wonderful and yet frustrating feeling :)

This is what happened to Jim Morrison when he started taking hallucinagenic drugs while a drop-out in LA. He described it as like an orchestra playing in his head and he quickly made up some words to the tunes to make sure that he didn't forget them. That's where the early Doors (wasn't that a series?) tunes came from and having got these he sought out Ray Manzarek (keyboard player) to find some way of turning these into songs.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Certainly you can dream feelings. I used to dream that my first wife, who left me, was sleeping next to me and wake up euphorically joyful. This happened, with decreasing regularity, for more than 15 years. Not a good start to any day.

I used to dream I had gone and bought a house during the house price crash and wake up stressed out. I've got a house now, maybe I should have listened to my dreams.

HOLA4412

Certainly you can dream feelings. I used to dream that my first wife, who left me, was sleeping next to me and wake up euphorically joyful. This happened, with decreasing regularity, for more than 15 years. Not a good start to any day.

Ouch. I imagine this probably happens to bereaved partners too. The brain is an amazing thing, but it can play cruel tricks sometimes... :(

HOLA4413

This is what happened to Jim Morrison when he started taking hallucinagenic drugs while a drop-out in LA.

Interesting! Maybe I should start a band? I've no appreciable talents in my waking state, but that doesn't seem to stop people....

HOLA4414

Interesting! Maybe I should start a band? I've no appreciable talents in my waking state, but that doesn't seem to stop people....

Nor did Jim, he wasn't one of these people who could play an instrument or had been in schoolboy bands. It was because of those tunes that he decided he ought to be in a band so sought out an old acquaintance that he knew played music. Fortunately when they got together Jim found out that he was able to sing so the band took off.

As it happens I have been in three bands. All utterly useless although at least by band three I had learned to play guitar (by endless repetition, sounded ok but no more than that, I could no more improvise than surf on it), so it was a shame that nobody else in the band could play their instruments. I'm glad that I tried as I no longer think that I could have been a rock star guitarist, instead I am very clear that I lack any discernable musical talent as I have spent a lot of time looking for it B)

HOLA4415

I'm glad that I tried as I no longer think that I could have been a rock star guitarist, instead I am very clear that I lack any discernable musical talent as I have spent a lot of time looking for it B)

Haha, good for you, you'll never wonder what might have been! :)

Archived