House Price Crash Forum

Artisanal Cheese, Particularly But Not Exclusively, British

Si1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Blessed are the cheesemongers! ;)

I never ate cheese until I was about 25!

I think most European countries make distinctive cheese!

The orientals and arabs don't do cheese much, and the Americans make something like a carburettor gasket! :blink:

HOLA445
HOLA446

oh my word that's fun

there's something a little subversive in there too in the British cheese festival - the Tesco cheese forum

We went to a couple of the cheese festivals, I think they were the very first ones, must be 10 years ago now, held in a little Cotswold village and then later moved to Cheltenham when it got bigger... I remember there was a producers hall, you paid a couple of quid admission and then you went round, chatted to each producer, tasted as much of each of their cheeses you could manage and then if you liked one especially you could purchase a massive wedge. A fantastic day out all round.

Irish artisan cheeses are pretty good too! Mellis carries a fair few!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Yes, Europe is definitely the home of cheese.

These tend to be the main countries with a good variety.

British Cheeses

Irish Cheeses

Italy Cheeses

Spanish Cheeses

Belgian Cheeses

French Cheese

Greek Cheeses

Dutch Cheeses

Swedish Cheeses

Norwegian Cheeses

Swiss Cheeses

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Yes, Europe is definitely the home of cheese.

These tend to be the main countries with a good variety.

British Cheeses

Irish Cheeses

Italy Cheeses

Spanish Cheeses

Belgian Cheeses

French Cheese

Greek Cheeses

Dutch Cheeses

Swedish Cheeses

Norwegian Cheeses

Swiss Cheeses

What's the toffee-like Norwegian one called? Bloody disgusting stuff.

HOLA4412

My favourite strong, soft , stinky cheese ever is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munster_cheese

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

What's the toffee-like Norwegian one called? Bloody disgusting stuff.

Primost - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primost

HOLA4415
<br /><a href='http://www.dewlay.com/ourcheeses#deli_range' class='bbc_url' title='' rel='nofollow'>Garstang Blue</a><br />I defy you to find a better blue cheese in the UK. Think cows' milk Roquefort.<br /><br />The smoked Lancashire is lovely as well. Much too nice to cook with, although I often do.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Wensleydale blue is a bit if a spanker too

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I've found all supermarket sourced Stilton a big disappointment, including premium places like M&S and Waitrose. I've got a feeling it all comes from one huge Dairy Crest style producer.

Any tips for decent Stilton, readily available, *gratefully received, wouldn't mind mail-ordering a massive block from some quality dairy - postie might not be so thrilled though.

*I'm not going to grate it, it's to go on biscuits, although might improve the flavour.

HOLA4418
<br />I've found all supermarket sourced Stilton a big disappointment, including premium places like M&S and Waitrose. I've got a feeling it all comes from one huge Dairy Crest style producer. <br /><br />Any tips for decent Stilton, readily available, *gratefully received, wouldn't mind mail-ordering a massive block from some quality dairy - postie might not be so thrilled though.<br /><br />*I'm not going to grate it, it's to go on biscuits, although might improve the flavour.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

go to a large municipal market find a cheesemonger and ask them!

HOLA4419

and the Americans make something like a carburettor gasket! :blink:

but nowhere near as tasty

I bought a baked potato with cheese in the States once, watched in horror as my server ladled fluorescent orange gloop all over my meal, paid for it, sat down and looked at it for a bit, then slung it into the bin, untouched. Which isn't like me at all.

wiki: American Cheese...

American cheese is a processed cheese. It is orange, yellow, or white in color and mild in flavor, with a medium-firm consistency, and melts easily. American cheese was originally only white, but is often now modified to yellow. In the past, it was made from a blend of cheeses, most often Colby and Cheddar. Today’s American cheese is generally no longer made from blended cheeses, but instead is manufactured from a set of ingredients[1] such as milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. In the United States,[2] it may not be legally sold as "cheese", and must be labeled as "processed cheese", "cheese product", or similar—e.g., "cheese food". At times even the word "cheese" is missing in the name on the label, e.g. "American slices" or "American singles".

1zl3lhx.jpg

HOLA4420

Germany's not very big on cheese, but they do have Harzer cheese:

harzer-handkaese-oberrei-pixelio.jpg

It's a sour milk cheese with a weird, jelly-like consistency and an aroma often described as pungent. I grew to love the stuff, but it seems to be completely unobtainable in the UK. As it's only about 1% fat and 25% protein, many of my search results brought up body-building forums, mostly involving questions as to how to disguise the powerful taste! Writing about it now, I'm almost pining for it. If anyone does know how I can get some, short of popping over to Germany, I'd be glad to hear it!

HOLA4421

It's a sour milk cheese with a weird, jelly-like consistency and an aroma often described as pungent. I grew to love the stuff, but it seems to be completely unobtainable in the UK. As it's only about 1% fat and 25% protein, many of my search results brought up body-building forums, mostly involving questions as to how to disguise the powerful taste! Writing about it now, I'm almost pining for it. If anyone does know how I can get some, short of popping over to Germany, I'd be glad to hear it!

Sounds like nob cheese

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Looks like scallops. Are you sure they're not trying to pass mouldy fish off as cheese?

Archived