House Price Crash Forum

Busybody Neighbour.

happy_renting

HOLA441
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

My friend rents a nice 2 bed flat about a mile from me in a fairly recent developent, paying £1k a month for the privilege (Zone 3 SE London, 2 min walk from the station). One of his hobbies is trolling a forum that has been set up for residents of the local area, winding up the local Hyacinths, and better still the preposterous middle class types bemoaning the lack of posh coffee shops serving brioche/biscotti etc., and the lack of a mother's knitting morning in the local boozer (I kid you not). I personally don't share his enthusiasm for annoying randoms, but I can't really blame him for it- some of the stuff he sends me links to is eye-wateringly pathetic. My parents are both Oxford grads, one was a teacher and the other a civil servant, and I went to a private school (albeit at the son-of-a-teacher discount rate) so I've always thought I was 'middle class', but I now find myself so diametrically out of step with the mindset of the 'Guardianista' type that I frankly feel a bit lost :( .

Not sure what this is adding to the conversation really, except to say that these people are everywhere.

HOLA443

It's elf 'n' safety gorn mad, I tell yer.

Is this thread for real or is a piss take of another thread?

If you do have a Hyacinth my advice would be ignore her unless she starts interfering in your business/telling you what to do.

If she does a short sharp "Keep your ffing beak out of my business" should put her back in her box.

Don't whatever do get into a discussion/argument because you just cant reason with such people.

As Mark Twain once said:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

HOLA444
HOLA445

Is this thread for real or is a piss take of another thread?

If you do have a Hyacinth my advice would be ignore her unless she starts interfering in your business/telling you what to do.

If she does a short sharp "Keep your ffing beak out of my business" should put her back in her box.

Don't whatever do get into a discussion/argument because you just cant reason with such people.

As Mark Twain once said:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

The story in my OP is factual and happened that day.

The thread, well it started out partly as a tongue-in-cheek satire but it seems to have turned into a genuine one about my weird neighbour.

For the record, her imaginary hamsters are genuinely imaginary.

HOLA446

It think is still legal to install the old round-pin 15A and 5A wiring systems, including in domestic residences.

Indeed, they are still used in theatres, India, and Sart Efrika too! ;)

HOLA447

Indeed, they are still used in theatres, India, and Sart Efrika too! ;)

My thesp friend tells me why they are used a lot in theatres.

Often, they are used to connect up stage lights, spotlights, etc.

The last thing you want to do is have to replace a 13A fuse above a stage in the middle of a performance. Fuses belong in an accessible fusebox.

HOLA448

As I walked past, she walked over to the wall socket to switch it into the 'off' position to tidy it up. FFS.

I would probably do that myself - especially if I was a leaseholder and was part charged (no pun indended) for this electricity use.

HOLA449

My thesp friend tells me why they are used a lot in theatres.

Often, they are used to connect up stage lights, spotlights, etc.

The last thing you want to do is have to replace a 13A fuse above a stage in the middle of a performance. Fuses belong in an accessible fusebox.

Well you have certainly driven an "off topic" thread well off topic! Yes, theatres still use the old 15 amp plug for lighting! As stated, no bloody fuse to fail! Complete IEE madness really , as both the equipment, and supply box are fused! Also the "standard 15 amp plug will take 30 amps without sweating! Try that with the modern plug!

I am surprised you know so many lesbian electricians! :blink:

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Well you have certainly driven an "off topic" thread well off topic! Yes, theatres still use the old 15 amp plug for lighting! As stated, no bloody fuse to fail! Complete IEE madness really , as both the equipment, and supply box are fused! Also the "standard 15 amp plug will take 30 amps without sweating! Try that with the modern plug!

I am surprised you know so many lesbian electricians! :blink:

Ring main 'fused' at 32A but that's with 2x2.5mm conductors. 1x appliance cable will not take 32A+ hence the 13A local fuse.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

:blink:

Even when no appliance is plugged in?

Seek help.

If you leave the switch on, isn't there a possibility of sparking inside the socket when you insert a plug? It's probably not dangerous, but might be a bit disconcerting. Also, if your hoover or whatever unexpectedly starts up when you plug it in there's maybe a small chance of some kind of accident.

HOLA4414

If you leave the switch on, isn't there a possibility of sparking inside the socket when you insert a plug? It's probably not dangerous, but might be a bit disconcerting. Also, if your hoover or whatever unexpectedly starts up when you plug it in there's maybe a small chance of some kind of accident.

You mean like those 'accidents' with vacuum cleaners some men turn up with at A&E?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Strangely, German sockets don't have switches. They don't seem to miss them though; one less thing to worry about, I guess.

That's true. I was in the Netherlands with a laptop last year and there were horrible sparking noises when I was plugging the adaptor into switchless sockets. I suppose they would have done something about it if it was problematic though.

HOLA4417

That's true. I was in the Netherlands with a laptop last year and there were horrible sparking noises when I was plugging the adaptor into switchless sockets. I suppose they would have done something about it if it was problematic though.

That wasn't a laptop, was it? That was a prostitute! :huh:

Archived