House Price Crash Forum

U.k. Will Regret Hiring Rock Star Central Banker

HOLA441

Japan has been printing for years and years and it's all OK there isn't it? The only way to get 'growth' is via printing ... once you start you can't stop, it's an addiction and Carnage loves it. Another £100bn before the end of the year to make sure the recovery and the green shoots are locked-in.

But like Mervyn before him, he has to out vote the other MPC members to get his wish.

HOLA442

His wife seems to have some very strong tendencies towards fairness. Why would he marry someone so radical if he didn't have some sympathies that way himself? I think she was being ironic in her reported tweet of just about being able to find and afford a place to live in London (on the housing package for renting with Carney's BOE Governor job.)

I'm not sure some of the extreme HPI in some parts of Canada in latter years can be blamed on Carney. You might lower rates to help business and smooth out forces affecting business, but people have their own responsibility for choosing to take big debt and overpay. He also didn't force QE to bailout gambling losers who had lived it up, to keep them in position over those who had saved, afaik. Crash might be coming to Canada but only as a result of decisions made by others in the market. Just got a sliver of hope he could be the opposite of what the HPI crowd believe he is, where the UK is far more topped out than Canada.

"Environmentalist" - so sucking on government handouts then.

HOLA443
HOLA444

An environmentalist, a can-kicking money printer and a chancellor couple holding out on significant property investments. Just great.

:lol:

HOLA445

How do you think the job interview went between him and Osborne? OK, Osborne technically does not appoint him but has a huge say in it no doubt. I imagine there have been one or more dinner conversations between the two prior to his appointment?

Psst. I was just checked for evidence of the consumer in the UK checking QE through lower aggregate demand, as suggested is occurring in the US.

Google news: uk aggregate demand

The salmon-coloured financial paper, of an article today, should be top link of the page.

The UK is suffering from a combination of the banks’ unwillingness and inability to lend and potential clients’ inability and unwillingness to borrow. The BoE’s easing is “pushing on a string”.

You can try and promote both, but I don't think you can actually have both, from where we are now, as per Osborne's letter.

[PDF] http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/remit_fpc_290413.pdf

HOLA446

Just saw this on alphaville:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2013/06/06/1527992/canadas-grizzly-outlook/

Looks like Carney is leaving Canada at just the right moment.

Interesting bit about new Canadian mortgage lending criteria stopping FTB activity:

Max. 25 years (was 30)

Max. 80% LTV (was 85%)

Max. repayment of 39% of income.

Now if he introduced those criteria in the UK it could get entertaining very quickly.

HOLA447

Unless of course he's a secret forum reader and can't wait to halt QE, hike IRs and behave like a sensible man to make the country finally take its necessary medicine and start a real recovery. Stranger things have happened. (Though I won't hold me breath)

I hold out some hope that Carney's personal interests would be better served by doing something different. If he carries out the same policy as in Canada and it blows up (at the same time as Canada is heading into trouble) then his name will be toxic. Trying a different approach has less personal risk.

HOLA448

Just saw this on alphaville:

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/2013/06/06/1527992/canadas-grizzly-outlook/

Looks like Carney is leaving Canada at just the right moment.

Interesting bit about new Canadian mortgage lending criteria stopping FTB activity:

Max. 25 years (was 30)

Max. 80% LTV (was 85%)

Max. repayment of 39% of income.

Now if he introduced those criteria in the UK it could get entertaining very quickly.

If we had kept those rules 20 years ago we would never be in the mess we are now in.