House Price Crash Forum

The Big Fat Ecb Cockup Thread

HOLA441

and many economists are demanding that the European Central Bank hand out money to consumers to stimulate the economy. to boost the "1%'s" wealth.

The retailers and energy companies etc will already have whatever price rises they can get away with in the pipeline.

Edited by billybong

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Hmmmm. But what can the ECB do about this? Serious question.

Price deflation seems to me quite a natural result of austerity. I have been wandering around Club Med countries these last couple of years and wages have fallen dramatically. That's without salaries, and pensions, being slashed several times over in Greece. I don't see the millions thrown on the poverty scrap heap going on a spending binge anytime soon. 50% youth unemployment in Spain . . . when do they think that's going to improve?

The unemployment numbers (swelled somewhat by arrivals from the EU's 'Drang Nach Osten' ) have really driven down wages . . . a friend of mine in southern Italy can hardly earn half of what she did two years ago.

'Investors are worried'. My heart bleeds.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Hmmmm. But what can the ECB do about this? Serious question.

Price deflation seems to me quite a natural result of austerity. I have been wandering around Club Med countries these last couple of years and wages have fallen dramatically. That's without salaries, and pensions, being slashed several times over in Greece. I don't see the millions thrown on the poverty scrap heap going on a spending binge anytime soon. 50% youth unemployment in Spain . . . when do they think that's going to improve?

The unemployment numbers (swelled somewhat by arrivals from the EU's 'Drang Nach Osten' ) have really driven down wages . . . a friend of mine in southern Italy can hardly earn half of what she did two years ago.

'Investors are worried'. My heart bleeds.

Nothing, it's part of the natural economic cycle. The problem is people don't understand the risks associated with expansion, the rich certainly don't want to be less wealthy which means they'll try and keep on inflating the system.

All the money pumped into rescuing and propping up the financial system should have been used to create new banks etc... Merrill Lynch, GS, and JP Morgan should have gone the same way as Bear Stearns and Lehmans. All of this would have been painful but the economy I believe now would be really recovering and small businesses would be driving the global economy.

Instead we have corporate welfareism and the obsession with perpetual growth miracle. I have no idea how this will end, if they can find a new economic growth regime similar to the industrial revolution we might get out of this mess. However that doesn't appear on the horizon and we appear to be looking into the abyss and just seeing how long they can keep the plates spinning for.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

"It is illegal and contrary to the treaty to reschedule a debt of a state held by a central bank. The European treaties are very clear on this," Coeure told the station.

If it's "illegal" in the banking sense then Greece can just default and still get bailed out - then tell them all the time for remorse is over.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4410

HOLA4411

Its the bad cops turn today.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Makuch says ECB ready for quantitative easing if needed, could handle Greek exit

PRAGUE - The European Central Bank (ECB) is ready to launch quantitative easing if needed, but it is too early to say what exactly this policy would consist of, governing council member Jozef Makuch was quoted as saying on Monday.

In other words we've not finished making the 5h1t up yet to justify it.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Via Blog Robert Peston Economics editor

"What investors want is a big and bold commitment to QE, rather than a timid, constrained trial - and it is thought that German assent is essential for an ambitious, substantial programme of bond purchases... But unless eurozone governments seize the moment to fix their finances and improve the competitiveness of their private sectors, the region will remain economically anaemic."

HOLA4419
_80255806_5f440f0d-c791-4127-b865-21f604

Eurozone factory output increased by slightly more than expected in November, despite stagnant production in Germany. Industrial production rose by 0.2% in November, following small gains in October and September, the EU's statistics agency, Eurostat says. That was better than the flat reading expected by economists.

Check out the EU recovery!!

HOLA4420
Draghi says ECB needs expansive monetary policy - paper 9:21am GMT

FRANKFURT - European Central Bank President Mario Draghi said a loose monetary policy is needed to achieve price stability in the euro zone and the Governing Council is determined to deliver this.

Ah yes price stability of prices going up!

HOLA4421

Draghi says ECB needs expansive monetary policy - paper 9:21am GMT

FRANKFURT - European Central Bank President Mario Draghi said a loose monetary policy is needed to achieve price stability in the euro zone and the Governing Council is determined to deliver this.

Ah yes price stability of prices going up!

banker says bankers should get locked up for fraud free money.

HOLA4422
ECB's Coeure says QE would anchor long-term financing conditions

PARIS - The aim of a euro zone quantitative easing plan would be to anchor long-term financing conditions and restore confidence in the bloc's inflation target, European Central Bank Executive Board member Benoit Coeure said on Friday in an interview.

HOLA4423

They're talking about each national central bank buying its own country's bonds, not the ECB and not real EZ QE. This seems counter to any idea of the EZ and euro as a one-for-all-all-for-one grouping, because it's trying to avoid additional risk transfer between countries and therefore again undermines what is apparently the entire point of the zone. After x years of admitting to but avoiding required risk sharing or political unity, they can still only suggest a plan that selectively benefits the usual candidates in an environment where those candidates are already the net abusers and beneficiaries of that system. Once again pandering to headlines, and pretending the politics and people don't matter. Which means in real life it's more 'all it takes talk' because if one or more nations don't or can't play ball will the ECB risk exits or not? If yes then this is Germany marking a change in tack. If no then there's an implied ECB backstop on it all and again this gets tested with their bluff being called again before long and it all starts over.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

what makes the french / italian / spanish etc. central bank thinks it has any more chance of successfully defending a currency against the broader market than the BoE previously and, most recently, the SNB?

the only difference is that 'all for one and one for all' might apply, with the ECB taking on the market with one of the member country central banks if that central bank was losing a battle

in such a contest, I think the market can probably win a fight with any combination of country central bank + ECB

the sooner the ecb and member countries accept that, the better imo