House Price Crash Forum

Cameron: I Am Not A Thatcherite

zugzwang

HOLA441

Dave's swiftest ever u-turn? A weather vane has more consistency. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

http://www.telegraph...hatcherite.html

David Cameron: I am not a Thatcherite

David Cameron has denied being a Thatcherite just days after declaring that "we're all Thatcherites now".

By Peter Dominiczak, Political Correspondent

11:52AM BST 28 Apr 2013

The Prime Minister used an interview with the Sunday Times to say he "was a big Thatcher supporter".

However, when asked directly whether he was a Thatcherite Mr Cameron said: "No. Other people might call me that. I think the label's now … it's slightly become …labels don't quite mean what they did then."

It contradicts comments he made on the morning of Lady Thatcher's funeral on April 17 when the Prime Minister said: "I think in a way we're all Thatcherites now. One of the things about her legacy is some of those big arguments we had, everyone now accepts."

In the interview Mr Cameron also said there is no limit to the potential achievements of Boris Johnson - sparking renewed speculation the London Mayor may return to the Commons.

The Prime Minister said he "loved" Mr Johnson and insisted that the Mayor could do "anything" he wanted in politics.

Mr Cameron's warm words came despite years of rivalry between the two Old Etonians, with many Conservative MPs believing Mr Johnson is manoeuvring to try to succeed Mr Cameron as Tory leader.

That would depend on Mr Johnson becoming an MP once again - possibly before the next general election - a prospect Mr Cameron appeared to entertain in his remarks.

The Prime Minister said: "Boris can do anything, that's the moral of the story of Boris.

"Boris is one of the greatest assets the Conservative Party has. I love Boris."

Asked whether the London Mayor could one day become prime minister, Mr Cameron replied: "I'd never want to put a limit on what Boris can achieve."

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Quite. The definition of a Balirite being - the Party being totally focused on winning elections and NOTHING else. All efforts are geared towards research/focus groups to determine the most appealing soundbites and policy promises/aspirations to those likely to vote in marginal constituencies, targetting the most amenable groups to bribery using the government's ability to borrow and print money....NOT a root and branch look at economic success and how it can be helped and achieved in the long term with government action aiding the private sector.

Spot on. This was Blair and now Cameron and Osborne to a tee.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Spot on. This was Blair and now Cameron and Osborne to a tee.

Even more fun - Blair and Brown were called "Sons of Thatcher"

Blair used to secretly invite her around to No 10 to take her latest orders advice

HOLA447

Wait until the general election promises and claims start to be rolled out.

They'll be a even more of a laugh.

People are already getting a taster with some of the most farcical headlines desperately trying to gain local election votes.

Edited by billybong

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Dave's swiftest ever u-turn? A weather vane has more consistency. rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

[/size]

[/size][/font]

[/font][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I think the tories used to have quite a nice phrase for his type of conservatism.

he's a wet.

basically spineless populist who does not have the courage to upset people and tell some home truths when absolutely necessary.

he is chamberlain as opposed to farage's churchill.

'nuff said.

Edited by oracle