House Price Crash Forum

Boscombe Beach Pods Price Crash From £64K To £18K

HOLA441

http://www.bournecoast.co.uk/estate-agents/details.asp?ID=1478

:lol::lol::lol:

Description:

PRICE REDUCED FROM £64,995 * FIRST FLOOR SINGLE BEACH POD * BALCONY WITH GREAT VIEWS OVER BOSCOMBE BEACH, PIER & SURF REEF * ELECTRICITY & GAS * RUNNING HOT & COLD WATER * FURNISHINGS INCLUDED * PRICE INCLUDES VAT

A central feature of the innovative £11 million Boscombe regeneration scheme and with stunning views across Europe’s first artificial surf reef, the ‘beach pods’ at Boscombe Overstrand are an iconic new landmark for Bournemouth. Designed by Wayne and Gerardine Hemingway MBE of HemingwayDesign, each pod is a work of art in its own right, featuring a large format retro coastal wall mural from Wayne Hemingway’s personal collection. Each pod comes with some incredible features including mains electricity, bespoke kitchenette, kettle, microwave, Breville sandwich toaster, bespoke seaside furniture set and all the kitchen utensils a visitor will need to make their stay as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.

Beach Pods

Join the beach pod lifestyle revolution! For over 100 years we’ve had a love affair with the humble beach hut. Having your own private space with miles of glorious coast stretching out before you… magic. Whether they’re old weather-beaten sheds or modern design classics like the Overstrand, we love them to bits. We fill them with little creature comforts. We fill them with our friends! Go on; invite them round for a barbie and maybe a drink while the sun slips behind the Isle of Purbeck.

Dip your toe in the water, or maybe dive straight in. Ride the surf reef or paddle your kayak around the Grade II listed pier. Then relax, take a shower, pull up a Hemingway-designed deck chair on your own private beach pod balcony. Or perhaps, curl up with a good book, glancing occasionally down at the sun-kissed shore.

Hemingway Design

"From Red or Dead through to the large housing projects that we are involved in we’ve been fortunate in our design careers to constantly be excited by our work. The Boscombe Overstrand project is right up there with the most stimulating projects we have ever undertaken.

It’s not often you come across a historic mid-century modern building, that’s been empty for 15 years, but has remained in good condition and has its original features and integrity. And when that building faces one of Britain’s best beaches, has world class views and is next to one of the coolest piers in the country, you have to pinch yourself.

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

No sleeping midnight to 6 am....

also...

Estimated Outgoings

Maintenance, electric, water charges: estimated £1,000 - £1,500 pa. Rates: estimated £600 - £750 pa.

Hours of Use

6.00am to midnight 365 days a year. (Images Courtesy of Jon Brooks Photos)

Tenure: Leasehold

Sale Type: Holiday Potential

Capture.PNG

post-17-0-07216800-1358275096_thumb.png

HOLA448

Boscombe is going right down hill.

TJ Hughes, Robert Dyas, plus loads of others have closed down there. The surf reef has been abandoned - the surf reef installers went into administration I believe.

However, if property prices fall massively for proper detached homes with see views on the East Cliff, they are worth snapping up. But I believe it is a Jewish centre, so unlikely. E.g. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-17458465.html

Edited by Notanewmember2

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

No sleeping midnight to 6 am....

I'm reminded of a story from the USA a couple of years ago.

A repossessed person rented a small storage unit to store their stuff. They slept in it during the day, when it was open and went to the train / bus station to hang out at night....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

So £150/month just for the pleasure of owning outright, and suitable for a holiday which doesn't involve staying over. Great. Perhaps these would be better suited to daily hire rather than ownership.

Not even that, these things were originally on a 40 year leasehold if memory serves me correctly.

The quoted marketing bilge has a serious cheek mentioning the surf reef, which has now been branded a very expensive failure and is likely to be destroyed or abandoned. The things on offer were originally marketed as "surf pods" but then rebranded to mere "beach pods" at some point in the past couple of years as the reef problems became apparent. I noticed the change when walking along the seafront some time last year.

Edit: a quick gander at some ~2008-2009 Bournemouth Echo articles suggests a 25 year lease period and asking prices of up to £90K (though I'm sure they went north of £100K for a while).

Edited by Horridbloke

HOLA4414

Not even that, these things were originally on a 40 year leasehold if memory serves me correctly.

The quoted marketing bilge has a serious cheek mentioning the surf reef, which has now been branded a very expensive failure and is likely to be destroyed or abandoned. The things on offer were originally marketed as "surf pods" but then rebranded to mere "beach pods" at some point in the past couple of years as the reef problems became apparent. I noticed the change when walking along the seafront some time last year.

I was trying to find out the size, but cannot see it anywhere. I estimate half a garage from the EA fisheye view.

Their website is cr@p design imo. Shows how many are empty

http://www.boscombeoverstrand.co.uk/#BeachPods

You can rent one from 27th Oct to 29th March for £450, so that might be quite cheap storage if the rentals don't have to pay the same rates / maintanance charge as bought ones

Rental rates pic attached

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/LeisureCultureLibraries/SeafrontBeaches/BeachHuts/BoscombeBeachPodsforhireandsale.aspx

rentals.PNG

post-17-0-22363400-1358283354_thumb.png

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I'm reminded of a story from the USA a couple of years ago.

A repossessed person rented a small storage unit to store their stuff. They slept in it during the day, when it was open and went to the train / bus station to hang out at night....

No reason why you couldn't sleep in your beach pod all day and sit up and watch telly all night!

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420