House Price Crash Forum

Work Do's

pl1

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

I've worked for some companies in the past like Compaq and Hewlett Packard who in the late 80's and mid to late 90's had some truly wonderful, lavish, fun "work do's".

Current company (which is a similarly massive organisation) for Christmas usually seems to choose a venue away from the town center so not easy to get to, provides just 2 free drinks and sub standard party food.

So the evening usually ends up costing the empoyee a fair bit of cash and have been pretty dull affairs (though that may be just me getting older :) ).

As a result I haven't been to a works do for years. I'm not alone. Attendendance had been so bad that last year they just provided £20 per head for people to make their own Christmas party arrangements.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

We don't have "Do's" just a meal and a few drinks in the afternoon (most people drive). However, this doesn't stop some people going mad and downing as many [free] drinks in a short time as possible.

We have one chap fall asleep on the train, ended up the other side of the country.

We've had one get so pissed, fell over and severely bruised his nose - somone took him home, but he refused to say where he actually lived (as he didn't want his wife to see him in that state) so stopped some neighbour to ask - turned out to be his wife anyway!

Last Christmas someone was so loud they were asked to leave the restaurant.

Funny thing is the above was the same person - three years running.

HOLA447
HOLA448

We have one chap fall asleep on the train, ended up the other side of the country.

We've had one get so pissed, fell over and severely bruised his nose - somone took him home, but he refused to say where he actually lived (as he didn't want his wife to see him in that state) so stopped some neighbour to ask - turned out to be his wife anyway!

Last Christmas someone was so loud they were asked to leave the restaurant.

Funny thing is the above was the same person - three years running.

It's ok, you can admit it was you.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Tbh I now view work "do's" (essentially a lunch or evening meal) as free food and not a lot more. I might strike it lucky conversation wise depending on who I end up next to. But it's always a lottery.

I think the best one we had was the time we broke with convention and all went ten pin bowling! Some of the guys are in their 60's. But it was a fun evening for all.

This jogs my memory actually. I used to work for a distribution company called Entertainment UK. Being a media related organisation they'd get some famous bands in and we'd see some gigs for free. Not bad.

Sadly EUK went bust. The company distributed to Woolworths mainly, so you can see what happened :lol:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I've worked for some companies in the past like Compaq and Hewlett Packard who in the late 80's and mid to late 90's had some truly wonderful, lavish, fun "work do's".

Current company (which is a similarly massive organisation) for Christmas usually seems to choose a venue away from the town center so not easy to get to, provides just 2 free drinks and sub standard party food.

So the evening usually ends up costing the empoyee a fair bit of cash and have been pretty dull affairs (though that may be just me getting older :) ).

As a result I haven't been to a works do for years. I'm not alone. Attendendance had been so bad that last year they just provided £20 per head for people to make their own Christmas party arrangements.

This has pretty much been my experience. Recent events have nearly all been the dreaded shared venue where a number of companies send their unfortunate staff to be 'entertained' by some third party enertainment company. The food is dire and the drinks after the few introductory Efree ones are expensive. Personally I would rather stay home and stick pins in my eyes. Sadly, it is just a reflection of the fact most big organisations are now 'virtualised' and have no real collective consciousness. In my view most businesses would be better advised hiring a room with a free bar and supplying a simple buffet.

HOLA4413

Last company I worked for the sales manager would take willing volunteers out for a curry and free drinks then charge it to the company credit card.

Perfect.. good food, doesn't go on all night, can't get too mashed because you don't really have time.. but at the same time you don't feel like someone's counting out your drinks.

We used to get about a 70 percent turn out.

Great days..

Archived