House Price Crash Forum

Oxford

leemo

HOLA441

Also Headington in Oxford but you will need to haggle the bank (owned) down £200,000

I'd say that one's in Risinghurst not Headington, just to be pedantic. I viewed it along with the 4 bedroom one next door a while ago and can fill in a bit of the background.

Originally the 4 bedroom one was a semi with a corner plot. The owner then got planning permission to extend, whether the permission was for a seperate dwelling as now or whether it was meant to an extension to the existing property to make it a larger house, the estate agent was very vague. I suspect the owner may have been allowed an only extension and then cheekily turned it into a seperate dwelling later, this is based only on the estate agent's facial expressions when we asked a few questions so I could be mistaken.

The 4 bedroom house has a very odd layout because of the extension on the side. Also on the ground floor the chimney breast has been removed and is being supported by a bookshelf as can be seen in the photos.

The 3 bed has an odd layout as well and I would be very surprised if the loft conversion had the necessary planning permission and met building regulations. My wife is 5'1" and even she couldn't stand up straight in there.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Is this area of town OK.

Even though i only posted a couple of weeks with all the bad news that has come out in this time period im now starting to think its a case of lets see what happens with the market over the next year or so ... I just couldnt bring myself to buy somewhere that costs 10-20% more then it did in 2008 the owners/agents are extracting the Michael imho.

HOLA443

Is this area of town OK.

Even though i only posted a couple of weeks with all the bad news that has come out in this time period im now starting to think its a case of lets see what happens with the market over the next year or so ... I just couldnt bring myself to buy somewhere that costs 10-20% more then it did in 2008 the owners/agents are extracting the Michael imho.

I think Risinghurst is OK rather than great personally. Due to it's location between the ringroad and the A40 I think it's too isolated from the rest of the city, like Barton on the northern side of the A40. Barton has a reputation for minor crime and anti-social behaviour, whereas Risinghurst doesn't although occasionally there will be something in the paper about some ASBO teen from Risinghurst causing havoc but not being sent to prison. It's handy if you work in London because you get onto the A40 then M40 fairly quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

Quick update to the anecdotal below ...

The house has still not sold (surprise, surprise!) and I haven't bothered to have a look (too busy).

Chancellors are now leaving messages daily trying to arrange a viewing ...

regards

J

You may be interested in the following East of Oxford village anecdotal ...

This came on today with Chancellors Headington, viewings commence on the 18th.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27619627.html

Last Sold in early 2009 for £360k - current owners have done a lot of internal work from memory of the house in 2009 but no extension, just swapped a perspex roof for a flat one:

http://www.southoxon.gov.uk/ccm/planning/ApplicationDetails.jsp?REF=P09/W0558/RET&MAP=NO

I started a discussion as my max. budget is £500k - estate agent had a bit of a laugh - already have 4 bookings lined up for the 18th, and they expect close to asking. Things are booming for Chancellors - lots of interet in all their properties, might be slow nationally but not in Oxford blah blah

Anyway back to the house above ... As I said, I am renting with deposit and mortgage in place, so are half the other interested parties came the reply.

Anyway booked a viewing for 20th - EA's parting shot "it is probably worth booking you in, but I will ring you if it has already sold." You've got to love them.

cheers

J

HOLA445

Quick update to the anecdotal below ...

The house has still not sold (surprise, surprise!) and I haven't bothered to have a look (too busy).

Chancellors are now leaving messages daily trying to arrange a viewing ...

regards

J

C has this habit (bad for buyers, good for vendors I suppose) of trying to push properties that nobody wants to buy...

HOLA446

Another horse's hoof in the forehead for the old OX2 incorrigibles...

Didn't this one go for around £500k at the start of the year?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27506599.html

Side entrance and it doesn't appear to have a garden. It might even be the wreck that was sold at auction for the animal sanctuary, or was that on Walton Well Rd?

We know everything that will happen, we just can't guess which thing it will be me. Yet it tests my psyche trying to imagine outcomes where this can slide 50%. Same with this semi overlooking the playing fields, on for almost a bar half...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31230368.html

That's a doubling since 2005.

So you win the Pulitzer, change the course of cultural life or prove your worth in commerce - all to live on Bainton Road? What petty rewards for great acts we offer to the young. No wonder they stand transfixed, squirrel-in-the-halogens-like, mop-haired and dithering between their shiny devices as the great grinding machine of Kapital looms over them, a leviathan of doubt and debt to pound their bones, dreams and mp3 players to jelly.

HOLA447

This one now suspended while they pick a new price out of J C Penny's maroon beret.

Oxford Times prop section thick as the Decameron this morning - and littered with as many poignant tales of mad ambition. Double-fronted house on Staverton Rd priced to match the Bainton Rd bargain. Crazy.

None of my peers anticipate drops but Occam's Razor is slicing closer, tickling the neck like Poe's pendulum of doom.

These prices are fictitious.

HOLA448

This one now suspended while they pick a new price out of J C Penny's maroon beret.

Oxford Times prop section thick as the Decameron this morning - and littered with as many poignant tales of mad ambition. Double-fronted house on Staverton Rd priced to match the Bainton Rd bargain. Crazy.

None of my peers anticipate drops but Occam's Razor is slicing closer, tickling the neck like Poe's pendulum of doom.

These prices are fictitious.

Not sure about £500k, think it was £1.5m with Penny Sinclair ?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-value.html?searchLocation=OX2+6RA&sellersPriceGuide=Start+Search&radius=0.0&displayPropertyType=&bedrooms=

It is a high quality 2000 sqf dwelling, but unfortunately a semi with limited outside space but I will buy it without a second thought if it was £500k.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Not sure about £500k, think it was £1.5m with Penny Sinclair ?

Not this one?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/4a-longworth-road/oxford/ox2-6ra/17556639

I have checked and you are right, it is 4a Longworth house.

£495k for this sort of finish... interesting. Either it was a wrecked when bought or the landreg data was incorrect.

It is also valued as Council tax Band G, which is the same as no 8 (which went for 23/03/2007 £845,000).

Another one example of probable data error

19/08/2010 £362,500

06/06/2005 £545,000 -33.5%

16, Southmoor Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX2 6RD

Edited by easybetman

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Don't know about the Southmoor Rd pad but Longworth was a wreck - I used to stroll past it.

The bubble is not yet pricked in Oxford town.

Thanks. So the vendor probably made £100k of upgrade on it and then wanting double the money..heem...

Agree - It is a big bubble, as long as BoE keep feeding the bankers and the bankers keep sending their kids

to Dragon, half a mile or so round Bardwell Rd isn't going to come down crashing...

Edited by easybetman

HOLA4413

Don't know about the Southmoor Rd pad but Longworth was a wreck - I used to stroll past it.

The bubble is not yet pricked in Oxford town.

Youre right there. 130K for a 25m2 wendy house in Kidlington, looks like it was built by kids aswell.

http://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-sale/ref-5497223

Edit it was 150K a couple of months back, thats just wrong ... i wish the deluded idiot trying to off this nothing but pain and misery.

Edited by BuyInOxford

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

A little more anecdotal, popped into a couple of "village" EA's today.

Basic feeling is one of wait and see outside of town. Little being marketted and little buyer interest means a slow market. The problem for buyers is that sellers are not in a hurry to sell so little price reduction, more remove it from the market for a few months then try again. On the other side one agent felt that too many buyers are overly optimistic about geting a big mortgage which isn't helping as sellers are getting offers that do not follow through - this means they believe the price is right (it sold) even if the sale does not complete.

Everybody wants to wait till the spending review is announced and the various parts (JR, CC, Police ...) make their announcements - sounds like more waiting for me.

Regards

J

HOLA4416

The market is stratified by cost to a greater degree than five or ten years ago, or the time of the last bust. So the houses I follow - 550-600K five years back and now up in the high eights and nines, if not more - have soared out of any mortgage equation. Typically, one adult goes into London to work and I don't think they're on 250/300K salaries to fuel any current multiples - I know some in Ox claim bankers are moving in but I've never met one and don't buy the idea - but they did get lucky with the value of their houses in the 2006 boom. I'd go further and say that salary is no longer correlative with the kind of house these people are buying. The money comes from family or they've sold somewhere affluent and are trading across - not down, as zone 2 London is on a par with North Central Ox.

As long as these people don't lose their London jobs - mostly private sector, I'd guess - then I don't see the spending review impacting on their buying choices in Ox. They'll keep coming, fearing the London snap, and the family money will keep ploughing into the Vic semis. So, no massive crash in my hunting grounds.

Could be tougher for the public sector horde.

HOLA4417

The market is stratified by cost to a greater degree than five or ten years ago, or the time of the last bust. So the houses I follow - 550-600K five years back and now up in the high eights and nines, if not more - have soared out of any mortgage equation. Typically, one adult goes into London to work and I don't think they're on 250/300K salaries to fuel any current multiples - I know some in Ox claim bankers are moving in but I've never met one and don't buy the idea - but they did get lucky with the value of their houses in the 2006 boom. I'd go further and say that salary is no longer correlative with the kind of house these people are buying. The money comes from family or they've sold somewhere affluent and are trading across - not down, as zone 2 London is on a par with North Central Ox.

As long as these people don't lose their London jobs - mostly private sector, I'd guess - then I don't see the spending review impacting on their buying choices in Ox. They'll keep coming, fearing the London snap, and the family money will keep ploughing into the Vic semis. So, no massive crash in my hunting grounds.

I have met financial type whose one partner works overseas though (and presumably on low tax/tax free salary). Wife & kids stay in Banbury-Woodstock part of Ox. So, no crash, though don't see any growth either. About time for the academic type who have been there for the past 50 years though, soi supply may increase.

Edited by easybetman

HOLA4418

My parents sold their North Oxford house to a financial industry type moving from London so his son could go to the Dragon (just round the corner from where my parents lived). He had a large family house in London which he was keeping and was purchasing this one a year before his son actually started at the Dragon. He tried to rent the house for £5K pcm after my folks moved out, but got no takers until he dropped the rent to £3.5K pcm.

He was also unbelievably cheap about the furnishings and tried to offer my mum £400 for all the (custom-made for the large bay windows) curtains, which were worth upwards of £2K and would have cost him much more than that to buy new.

I do agree that salary isn't the main way people are funding these house purchases at the very top end. Most of them aren't sold to people who have to get mortgages - the people who came to view my parents' house were mostly cash buyers. It's a good illustration of the divide that's grown up between the super-rich and the rest of us: When I was a kid and grew up on that street, it was full of young middle-class families. The parents had good jobs and both of them worked, but they were still doing the kind of jobs (GPs, lawyers etc.) that are within the scope of most people's ambitions. Most of the kids went to the state schools. Now the street is divided between older couples who have lived there for c. 30 years and who are moving out gradually as they start to downsize or extraordinarily rich families, often with inherited money, who send their children to the Dragon and buy their houses with £1m+ of cash. The sort of young families who used to live there when I was growing up couldn't possibly afford to live there now.

HOLA4419

Girlfrommarz

I just googled "Oxford The Dragon" as i didnt have a clue what you were on about, could you tell me why parents would take their kids out of London which must have all sorts of wonderful independent schools to put him/her in to This Dragon School you talk of?

Ive got a 6 month old little girl and im curious to know what would be the best school in the area for her to go to, im planning ahead for once in my life!

HOLA4420

Girlfrommarz

I just googled "Oxford The Dragon" as i didnt have a clue what you were on about, could you tell me why parents would take their kids out of London which must have all sorts of wonderful independent schools to put him/her in to This Dragon School you talk of?

Ive got a 6 month old little girl and im curious to know what would be the best school in the area for her to go to, im planning ahead for once in my life!

Sorry to interject but I am afraid Oxford suffers from the same problem as many parts of the country - houses in catchment areas of good school are snapped up

by the usual suspect.. And yap....the best state school in Oxford City is in summer town - The ss-philip-and-james....

Dragon is very good school for the kids and some parents are very nice and down to earth. The staffs and teachers there are very nice and down to earth too.

However, I am afraid many middle class parents won't find themselves particularly comfortable at some of the social gatherings among the Dragon parents... The purchaser of Girlfrommarz parents former residence are representative of the people you will meet there...

HOLA4421

Ah thats ok im sure they wouldnt like me, im a Northern roughyen who left school at 15 with no quals and works in a dirty job offshore.

Though why would parents move from London especially for this school? ..... Im away 6 months of the year so im thinking id sooner her be in a posh school, then be in day to day contact with toe-rags such as i.

HOLA4422

Ah thats ok im sure they wouldnt like me, im a Northern roughyen who left school at 15 with no quals and works in a dirty job offshore.

Though why would parents move from London especially for this school? ..... Im away 6 months of the year so im thinking id sooner her be in a posh school, then be in day to day contact with toe-rags such as i.

Dragon is not a posh school but many parents there are very posh. The staffs / heads at the school are very nice and certainly welcome enrolment of any child.

The kids there are lively and well mannered - and NO - they don't behave like spoiled brats.

Dragon also provides bursary / scholarship if you need them. The typical registration lead time is about 5 years - so if you want to give it a go - you need to register now.

I suppose the thinking is that the man (or women as may be the case), battle with the cruel world in London (or Thailand as in your case) while the rest of the family can enjoy the nice environment of north Oxford.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Visited the school and was impressed. A few parental preferences issues, however:

(1) In prep school, some kids are boarding (optional), not sure how you fell about kids boarding at this age.

(2) The kids there are incredibly independent and move around labs/classes etc all by themselves.

(3) It is quite a big school (probably the biggest pre/prep school in the country with, I think 800+ pupils)

Edited by easybetman

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4425