House Price Crash Forum

£500K For Mole Mans Home, Just For The Land?

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044389/Mole-Man-William-Lyttles-dilapidated-London-home-sale-500k.html

He became known as the 'Mole Man' after digging a labyrinth of tunnels underneath his London home.

Now, the late William Lyttle's house is up for sale. Despite not having a roof and being a structural death trap the home in London's Hackney carries a guide price of £500,000.

Mr Lyttle, a retired civil engineer who died aged 79 last year, spent 40 years tunnelling a 60 foot-long path of tunnels under his house.

article-2044389-0E2EEC2500000578-974_634x531.jpg

According to the house value website www.zoopla.co.uk a comparable refurbished four bedroom detached home in this fashionable part of London could be worth over £1million.

Bargain, I mean how could you not want to spend £500k on this?

Although I have no idea how much money you would have to spend making the ground safe to support a house!

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2044389/Mole-Man-William-Lyttles-dilapidated-London-home-sale-500k.html

Although I have no idea how much money you would have to spend making the ground safe to support a house!

And, as perfect testimony to the typically twisted logic/thought processes of local government bureaucrats, "The council refused permission to demolish the building due to the street's status as a conservation area."

So..... the eyesore will remain, in the hope that some sap will come along and buy it as it is and restore the remaining pile it to its former self with their own private money - when the more cost effective and practical solution would be to demolish, clear the site and start afresh!

Perhaps to really encourage would be buyers and raise interest thay should slap a Grade II listing on it - at 1/2 million quid the site would look cheap! LOL

Edited by anonguest

HOLA444

And, as perfect testimony to the typically twisted logic/thought processes of local government bureaucrats, "The council refused permission to demolish the building due to the street's status as a conservation area."

So..... the eyesore will remain, in the hope that some sap will come along and buy it as it is and restore the remaining pile it to its former self with their own private money - when the more cost effective and practical solution would be to demolish, clear the site and start afresh!

Perhaps to really encourage would be buyers and raise interest thay should slap a Grade II listing on it - at 1/2 million quid the site would look cheap! LOL

Some sap will no doubt show up, this is England, we've a country full of saps...

HOLA445

I image a little "vandalism" by "unknown persons" could cause the building to collapse completely, voiding any planning objections.

Just need some wood wedges and some water.

• 9 months later...
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

You'd have to be out of your flucking mind to spend £750,000 on a shell that you cannot use nor due to its conservation area status alter FFS!!! Is it worth the risk that you'll get an exemption and be able to shore up the ground beneath or demolish the thing and rebuild. For the risk/reward you'd pay a damn sight less than three quarters of a million flucking pounds.

Edited by zebbedee

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The ground's safe, the council filled up the tunnels with concrete. Even so, "How much?".

HOLA4411
HOLA4412