House Price Crash Forum

15Th Anniversary Of Buy To Let

HOLA441

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/home/blogs/many-happy-returns?/6517982.blog

Saturday was the 15th birthday of something that will have had some people reaching for the cake and jelly and others hoping they choke on it.

So it’s happy birthday to buy to let, which was officially launched by the Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA) on 24 September, 1996.

So, buy to let is 15 years old, and the country is on its knees.

The number of buy-to-let loans outstanding soared from just 28,700 in 1998, when the Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) started recording the figures, to 1.3m last year. By value they increased from £2bn to £151.5bn by 2010. The strongest growth happened between 2000 and 2007.

I wonder how much housing benefit has been paid to these detestable landlord over the years?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I sooo want to see BTL mortgages finished. From now on, if someone wishes to become a landlord, fine. So long as they own the property outright they can rent it out.

Hopefully this would lead to more reasonable house prices in due course.

Whilst I don't disagree with the sentiment, all that would happen is that I create a 'limited company' who borrows from the bank using a secured business loan, and then uses that cash to purchase a property which is then let out. I would say that that at least has the advantage of being a commercial business loan, and thus dealt with by someone who understands cycles and business risk... Oh... that would be the issue...

HOLA445

Surely BTL began with the passing oh the Housing Act 1988 and the creation thereby of the assured shorthold tenancy. As to wanting an end to BTL be careful what you wish for. In the eighties about 7% of homes were rented from private landlords and the number was falling every year. Almost no new tenancies were being created. I dont want to go back to that.

HOLA446

1988 Act opened the way but it was really the advent of lenders such as Bradford & Bingley tendering specifically BTL mortgages that led the way from about 1997 - before that building societies were very reluctant to lend to putative landlords. Once the Sunday property pages started featuring this ease of access to borrowing as well as the ability to shift tenants it took off.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I remember thinking at the time that inventing a name "Buy to Let" was likely to start a bubble as the greedy got sucked into the latest get rich quick scheme.

That's the right point in a bubble's lifetime to jump in!

If I'd been in Blighty in 1997 I'd probably have bought a house myself :huh: Maybe one bigger than I need, that would've split into a flat for me and a flat for profit. Longed for that in the 1980s when landlords were getting most of my net income.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

That's the right point in a bubble's lifetime to jump in!

If I'd been in Blighty in 1997 I'd probably have bought a house myself :huh: Maybe one bigger than I need, that would've split into a flat for me and a flat for profit. Longed for that in the 1980s when landlords were getting most of my net income.

I already had a house and wasn't remotely interested in becoming a landlord, too much hassle.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Me too.

Why mugs just hand over loads of money each month into crappy pensions, too much hassle to actually really do something to sort out your financial future.

Yes some work and the odd hassle but I have my annuity streams well sorted in plenty of time for my retirement, not just some imaginary number made up by a pension salesman.

Australia had btl for ages it's here forever for u so get used to it

Edited by mercsl

HOLA4414

Why mugs just hand over loads of money each month into crappy pensions, too much hassle to actually really do something to sort out your financial future.

Yes some work and the odd hassle but I have my annuity streams well sorted in plenty of time for my retirement, not just some imaginary number made up by a pension salesman.

Australia had btl for ages it's here forever for u so get used to it

You really are a one trick pony... buy to let... buy to let... buy to let... :rolleyes:.

Some of us have other sources of income. I'm comfortably retired with not a buy to let in sight.

Why waste your time playing at landlords if you have a profitable business that gives a better return on your efforts?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Famous last words. Are you one of the Wilsons by any chance?

No, I'm not a teacher

You lot just think btl is bad , period. That's just silly.

Fact is many people have sorted their future retirement out themselves rather than relying on the ridiculous pension system we have in this country.

Just as viable an investment as shares or gold. Some people make stupid decisions in btl but that's true of any investment you care to mention.

Edited by mercsl