House Price Crash Forum

Heads Are In The Sand En España

acidreign

HOLA441

As much as I like hearing about Spanish festivals such as this it p¡shes me off something shocking that people are still behaving like this event is something from 50 years ago and costs are still the same. This crap has to end as young Spanish folk has absolutely no idea about the concept of money

Everyone drives a brand new car here which they barely afford the payments on. Get that. I'm more than happy in my 10+ year old banger, that I own outright.

40,000 people take part in world's biggest tomato fight- The Tomatina, in Bunol, Spain

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/8733187/40000-people-take-part-in-worlds-biggest-tomato-fight-The-Tomatina-in-Bunol-Spain.html

What will it take? I know that I've received comments from some people who 'think' they are rich about my dress sense (nothing about quality by the way, purely the 'guiri dress sense' but seriously, is that all they have to talk about?)

Believe my days are numbered here and I'll head back to the UK sooner rather than later.

Though, I'm € long. Work that one out.

Confused :huh:

HOLA442
HOLA443

As much as I like hearing about Spanish festivals such as this it p¡shes me off something shocking that people are still behaving like this event is something from 50 years ago and costs are still the same. This crap has to end as young Spanish folk has absolutely no idea about the concept of money

It probably brings in more tourist dollars than the tomatoes are worth. I doubt they would let it get so out of hand if it didn't. Perhaps they are the ones with the healthy attitude. It is only money.

HOLA444

Tomatoes grow like weeds in Spain.....when they are in abundance you can't give them away, all you can do is make a tasty tomato sauce slowly cooking them with some onion, garlic, olive oil and herbs....freeze to use later in the year when the price shoots up. ;)

HOLA445

Tomatoes grow like weeds in Spain.....when they are in abundance you can't give them away, all you can do is make a tasty tomato sauce slowly cooking them with some onion, garlic, olive oil and herbs....freeze to use later in the year when the price shoots up. ;)

I'm hungry :(

HOLA446

I'm hungry :(

....there is so much that can be put to good use that is left to go to waste......for the price of a packet of sugar made some hedgerow jelly from blackberries, sloes, elderberry, crab apples.

...some windfall pears are fermenting nicely, again for the price of 3lbs of granulated sugar and some wine yeast...the demijohns picked up for nothing at the local recycling centre. ;)

HOLA447

....there is so much that can be put to good use that is left to go to waste......for the price of a packet of sugar made some hedgerow jelly from blackberries, sloes, elderberry, crab apples.

...some windfall pears are fermenting nicely, again for the price of 3lbs of granulated sugar and some wine yeast...the demijohns picked up for nothing at the local recycling centre. ;)

As kids we used to love crab apples. There were two trees in the playground, and we used to hurl them at each other. Many a lesson would be taught with kids splattered with crab apple debris.

In secondary school there were two apple trees, which never produced any apples.

One year though there was a massive crop and one windy day they all fell off. No prizes for guessing what happened next. Within a few minutes there was two howling mobs about thirty metres apart chucking apples at each other as hard as they could. Now as you can imagine that hurts. Every now and then one kid would get hit by an apple and dragged away, to be replaced by another enthusiastic participant. Within about 1 hour about 15 people were dragged off to the medics and the teachers came round to break it up (yes one teacher was hit with an apple).

Two days later they chainsawed the apple trees, which was a shame. That's the reward you get for being productive.

HOLA448

As kids we used to love crab apples. There were two trees in the playground, and we used to hurl them at each other. Many a lesson would be taught with kids splattered with crab apple debris.

In secondary school there were two apple trees, which never produced any apples.

One year though there was a massive crop and one windy day they all fell off. No prizes for guessing what happened next. Within a few minutes there was two howling mobs about thirty metres apart chucking apples at each other as hard as they could. Now as you can imagine that hurts. Every now and then one kid would get hit by an apple and dragged away, to be replaced by another enthusiastic participant. Within about 1 hour about 15 people were dragged off to the medics and the teachers came round to break it up (yes one teacher was hit with an apple).

Two days later they chainsawed the apple trees, which was a shame. That's the reward you get for being productive.

That sounded fun...the Spanish with their tomatoes the English with their apples...something satisfying about throwing stuff.....

Chainsawing the apple trees bit drastic, but about sums it up in our new world of 'jobs worth' health and safety dictating spoil sports.....childhood in this country has lost its fun and innocence. :(

HOLA449

That sounded fun...the Spanish with their tomatoes the English with their apples...something satisfying about throwing stuff.....

Chainsawing the apple trees bit drastic, but about sums it up in our new world of 'jobs worth' health and safety dictating spoil sports.....childhood in this country has lost its fun and innocence. :(

I wouldn't exactly describe it as fun.

There's not so much difference between a cricket ball and an apple when thrown from that sort of distance.

And if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit in the head by a cricket ball you'll know that it hurts. A lot.

HOLA4410

Any chance of the recipe for hedgerow jelly, Winkie?

HOLA4411

Any chance of the recipe for hedgerow jelly, Winkie?

Sure, adapted from the River Cottage handbook on preserves.

makes 7 to 8 225g jars.

1kg crab apples or cooking apples.

1kg of mixed hedgerow berries such as sloes,bullaces,hips,haws,blackberries, elderberries or rowan berries...if using rosehips or rowan berries use them on their own with the apples.

Remove stalks and leafy bits, rinse.

Chop roughly do not peel or core apples.

Place all the fruit in a saucepan with 1.2 liters of water bring to the boil.

Simmer until the fruit is soft and pulpy, remove from the heat.

Pour contents into a muslin cloth over bowl, leave to drip overnight, do not force juice through.

Next day there should be 1.2 liters of strained juice.

Put the juice into pan slowly bring to the boil then 450g sugar for each 600ml of juice.

Stir until the sugar has dissolved then boil rapidly without stirring for 10 mins until setting point reached 104.5c or by using the saucer test, drop a little jam on a cold saucer you prepared earlier by putting in the fridge, allow to cool for a minute then push gently, if the jam crinkles setting point has been reached.

Skim the jelly and pot and seal in jars that have been sterilised in hot water.

Use within 12 months.....enjoy. ;)

HOLA4412

There's not so much difference between a cricket ball and an apple when thrown from that sort of distance.

And if you've ever had the misfortune of being hit in the head by a cricket ball you'll know that it hurts. A lot.

We played cricket in my IL's garden with our kids one autumn, and used some of their windfall as balls for a laugh.

The kids thought it wa hilarious because they never knew whether the 'ball' was going to explode on impact or require fielding.

You're right, they hurt like hell if they hit you! :blink:

HOLA4413

You can wrap your kids in cotton wool if you want.....it will not protect them from the harsh and painful world out there....we will all get hurt one way or another, come what may...just because you throw something does not mean you aim it to harm or injure. ;)

HOLA4414

You can wrap your kids in cotton wool if you want.....it will not protect them from the harsh and painful world out there....we will all get hurt one way or another, come what may...just because you throw something does not mean you aim it to harm or injure. ;)

Many thanks for the hedgerow jelly recipe.

HOLA4415

Archived