House Price Crash Forum

No Mot.

Executive Sadman

HOLA441

Got pulled recently the other week for No MOT, (yes, i forgot, I should have said I thought those two years MOTs had been introduced already :lol: ) Anyway, perusing the ticket today, the occifer wrote...

1) the wrong registration number down. (not mine)

2) my postcode down wrong.

Do I still have to pay the thing? (£60, no points apparently) I honestly though 99% of the time you get let off for the MOT thing as the police realise you dont get a reminder in the post, so long as you 'promise' to get it MOTed first thing. Sounds like one of those things Mr Loophole gets footballers off for. Writing the wrong registration number on a ticket is a pretty serious error.

Thought i got a real hardass cop.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

A proper MOT such as one done by a good garage or the council's MOT unit is essential for yours and other people's safety, I'm not condoning anyone forgetting or not getting it done. But your rights are your rights - lots of info at http://www.pepipoo.com/

Cheers. I'll check it out.

Passed yesterday btw. So im officially 'safe'

Car is actually falling to bits, but the lights work, tires have tread, windscreen isnt too smashed up, i put some wiper fluid in and the emissions arent killing too many wabbits so apparently its roadworthy...

HOLA445

Sucker! You should have said, I'm on my way to an MOT right now, the law allows me to drive to a prebooked MOT and return from a prebooked MOT as well. If the cop follows you make a handsfree call to a local MOT place and book an MOT in soon as. When you arrive drop it off the cop inspects the booking records and boom his case falls apart.

Tsk...

HOLA446

Sucker! You should have said, I'm on my way to an MOT right now, the law allows me to drive to a prebooked MOT and return from a prebooked MOT as well. If the cop follows you make a handsfree call to a local MOT place and book an MOT in soon as. When you arrive drop it off the cop inspects the booking records and boom his case falls apart.

Tsk...

Ha, i know that. It was 10.30pm at night though...not aware of any 24 hour test centres.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Ha, i know that. It was 10.30pm at night though...not aware of any 24 hour test centres.

Doesn't mean you can't drop it off though in the vicinity.

Look at it this way. Many bikers buy motorbikes sans MOT. All the way across the country. They book an MOT close to home, and then ride it the odd 300 miles home. If and or when stopped they respond they are driving it to an MOT. Used to work all the time till they went on with reasonable distance MOT testing place.

HOLA449

Look at it this way. Many bikers buy motorbikes sans MOT. All the way across the country. They book an MOT close to home, and then ride it the odd 300 miles home. If and or when stopped they respond they are driving it to an MOT. Used to work all the time till they went on with reasonable distance MOT testing place.

I think it has to be pre-booked though, i cant get round that. Plus the cop seemed a real hardass, i didnt want to spend any more time around him than i had to.

The kind that would bury his baton in your skull for asking for his name and police number.

HOLA4410

Cheers. I'll check it out.

Passed yesterday btw. So im officially 'safe'

Car is actually falling to bits, but the lights work, tires have tread, windscreen isnt too smashed up, i put some wiper fluid in and the emissions arent killing too many wabbits so apparently its roadworthy...

I hope all goes well.

Anyone here know if it's the case that insurers sometimes don't pay up on cars in accidents with no MOT?

Tsk...

If you make it that blatantly obvious that you think the constable is an idiot then you'll find you give them every encouragement to fine tooth comb your car and stick you on for something else instead 9 times out of 10

HOLA4411

It's more than £60, and you were lucky they didn't call out a lifting truck.

Happened to me first time I bought a car in the UK. The cop pulled me over, called the truck guy, truck arrived, I signed a few forms and handed over my CC, truck went away. I think they call it Keynesian economics. I'd also got done by a camera a few miles up the road, which I think alerted the cop, and was hit with a double fine despite my polite reaction down the phone the following week. Total cost ... about £300.

Nice tax take to keep the cop in his top of the range beemer and the garage owner ticking over without doing any work.

If only the bank regulators were so zealous.

HOLA4412

A fixed penalty of £60 is peanuts so just pay up and avoid the stress of challenging it. If it was £6k it would be worth making a stand. Save your large brain for more important matters. If its about money go along to a local car boot and spend a tenner wisely. You will make most of the £60 back on Ebay. However if it was me I would challenge it and refuse to pay just for the fun of it. Write a letter to the issuing force voicing your concerns regarding police incompetence first. It will make you feel much better

HOLA4413

Yes you are allowed to drive a car with no MOT to and from the test centre and to a place of repair. However the driver must be insured. Ever tried getting insurance to drive a car with no MOT?

HOLA4414

Yes you are allowed to drive a car with no MOT to and from the test centre and to a place of repair. However the driver must be insured. Ever tried getting insurance to drive a car with no MOT?

In any case, a constable will ask for evidence of the prearranged MOT on the spot, whether that's an appointment card or a phone call to the MOT garage to confirm - unless a rookie

(I asked above if no MOT invalidates any existing insurance)

HOLA4415

Got pulled recently the other week for No MOT, (yes, i forgot, I should have said I thought those two years MOTs had been introduced already :lol: ) Anyway, perusing the ticket today, the occifer wrote...

1) the wrong registration number down. (not mine)

2) my postcode down wrong.

Do I still have to pay the thing? (£60, no points apparently) I honestly though 99% of the time you get let off for the MOT thing as the police realise you dont get a reminder in the post, so long as you 'promise' to get it MOTed first thing. Sounds like one of those things Mr Loophole gets footballers off for. Writing the wrong registration number on a ticket is a pretty serious error.

Thought i got a real hardass cop.

The getout is the wrong reg.That makes in unenforceable.

HOLA4416

I don't think it is. The fixed penalty notice is just an offer to accept a fine without going to court. If you don't pay it they will take you to court, and the details will be corrected at that time.

The only hope is they didn't write down your true registration (also in their notebook) so they don't know who the true culprit is.

I would post on the pepipoo website which I like to read too.

HOLA4417

(I asked above if no MOT invalidates any existing insurance)

Not only does not having an MOT invalidate existing insurance, but driving a car around in a condition that would fail an MOT also invalidates it. A relative of a colleague had an accident a few years ago, in which he made the somewhat costly mistake of rear-ending a Rolls-Royce standing at traffic lights - and the speed she hit it at was a lot more than a crawl. Both wrecks were taken to a police facility for forensic analysis, and her car was found to have illegally worn tyres, a defective tail light bulb and a broken suspension wishbone. As a result, the insurance company declared the policy invalid and refused to pay up, because the small print stated that the car must be kept in an MOT-passable condition whenever it is driven on the public road in order for the cover to be valid. She had to pay the repair bill of £8k on the Roller herself in order to persuade the police not to charge her with driving without insurance.

HOLA4418

her car was found to have illegally worn tyres, a defective tail light bulb and a broken suspension wishbone. As a result, the insurance company declared the policy invalid and refused to pay up, because the small print stated that the car must be kept in an MOT-passable condition whenever it is driven on the public road in order for the cover to be valid. She had to pay the repair bill of £8k on the Roller herself in order to persuade the police not to charge her with driving without insurance.

I guess the tail light could fail at any time, and would not contribute to the accident!

Bald tyres, and broken suspension? :blink: Very naughty!

It's amazing some people drive with worn brakes until metal touches metal!

I usually get them done when the little light comes on.

HOLA4419

Tsk...

Ken, the police have mobile phones. Had it been in trading hours , they would have just called the test centre to check there was an appointment booked. If not, you end up with "attempting to pervert the course of justice" a far more serious charge than driving with no MOT! :rolleyes:

HOLA4420

Not only does not having an MOT invalidate existing insurance, but driving a car around in a condition that would fail an MOT also invalidates it. A relative of a colleague had an accident a few years ago, in which he made the somewhat costly mistake of rear-ending a Rolls-Royce standing at traffic lights - and the speed she hit it at was a lot more than a crawl. Both wrecks were taken to a police facility for forensic analysis, and her car was found to have illegally worn tyres, a defective tail light bulb and a broken suspension wishbone. As a result, the insurance company declared the policy invalid and refused to pay up, because the small print stated that the car must be kept in an MOT-passable condition whenever it is driven on the public road in order for the cover to be valid. She had to pay the repair bill of £8k on the Roller herself in order to persuade the police not to charge her with driving without insurance.

The roller owner had no insurance himself and fronted it.

:)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Interesting post, just out of interest did the Rolls belong to head of the local police authority? You never know ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Interesting post, just out of interest did the Rolls belong to head of the local police authority? You never know ;)

Or that.

Whatever it is, theres something unusual gone on. My first thought was that the roller wasn't insured but had been bonded up front - that would give the owner incentive to check everything out.

HOLA4425

Keeping the car in an "MOT-passable condition" (strange wording for an insurance policy) and having a current MOT certificate are not the same thing. I very much doubt that a court would let an insurance company wriggle out of paying a third party claim because the insured had forgotten to renew the MOT on a perfectly roadworthy car.

Archived