House Price Crash Forum

Us Movie Audiences Down Nearly 10%

HOLA441

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/04/movies/holiday-box-office-booms-overseas-sputters-domestically.html?_r=1&ref=business

Americans, still feeling the pinch of a weak economy, have been going to the movies less often. For the year, domestic ticket sales stand at $5.2 billion, an 8 percent decline from the same period in 2010; attendance is down 9.4 percent.

It's the movieless recovery.

HOLA442

Probably crap films.

Been a bit rubbish this summer so far IMO. I expect Harry Potter will pack 'em in though.

Loads of sequels and sequels to sequels and sequels to sequels to sequels.

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 4

THE HANGOVER 2

KUNG FU PANDA 2

CARS 2

TRANSFORMERS 3

SPY KIDS 4

Arthur (remake)

Some of those I wouldn't watch for free.

Those films that I have liked this year include:

Cedar Rapids

Limitless

Killing Bono

The Adjustment Bureau

Hobo with a Shotgun

HOLA443

Maybe not many people go to real movie theaters anymore?

I haven't gone since July 1969, and don't even know where the closest full-fledged theater is -- maybe the drive-in down in Hyde Park (NY), or maybe there's a closer one across the river?

HOLA444

Historically, the boom period for Hollywood was The Great Depression. Cinemas were packed out almost nightly, with people who could afford to go going 2 or 3 times a week.

Going to the Cinema was affordable in those days - it ain't now. Especially when you know those 20 bucks a ticket seats for the latest film will mean that latest film is on Netflix or Cable within 6 months tops if not 3 months.

Since the arrival of Avatar Hollywod also quietly gone down the route of charging more for 3D. What is little know about some of the 3D films is that their audiences have fallen quite dramatically, but because the ticket prices have been bumped up the films have got headline figures of breaking box office records.

In reality, Hollywood is panicking about falling audiences, and Hollywood stars are worried that people no longer pay to see them - in other words, 'names' don't draw in the audiences anymore.

HOLA445

Historically, the boom period for Hollywood was The Great Depression. Cinemas were packed out almost nightly, with people who could afford to go going 2 or 3 times a week.

Going to the Cinema was affordable in those days - it ain't now. Especially when you know those 20 bucks a ticket seats for the latest film will mean that latest film is on Netflix or Cable within 6 months tops if not 3 months.

I agree it's costly going to the pictures with 3 young kids our only option is to go for the cheap £1 films, otherwise we are looking at £25+, too expensive for only 1.5hr of entertainment.

HOLA446

I agree it's costly going to the pictures with 3 young kids our only option is to go for the cheap £1 films, otherwise we are looking at £25+, too expensive for only 1.5hr of entertainment.

£25 can get you about 10 months of xbox live membership - no brainer if you have kids.

HOLA447

I take my kids to the odeon about once a month. Pocket money prices to watch childrens films that came out on average 5-12 months previously. Cost £2.50 per child and adults go free.

We buy one large popcorn to share and take our own drinks.

Takes up a few hours and real value for money. Less than £10 per month and parking is free if you go on a sunday.

I think all Odeon cinemas do it.

Money is tight at the moment but I do see this as value. These are a few films coming up.

Arthur and the Great Adventure Rating: From the director of ‘Arthur and the Invisibles’, comes another fantastic family adventure. Arthur must save the invisible people, but suddenly finds himself less than half an inch tall – with a big job to do.

Date(s): 09/07/2011

Date(s): 10/07/2011

Legend Of The Guardians: The Owls Of Ga'hoole 2D Rating: Animated family adventure based on the books by Kathryn Lasky. When two young owls fall into the hands of the evil Pure Ones, they must lead a daring escape to save the owl kingdoms.

Date(s): 16/07/2011

Date(s): 17/07/2011

Yogi Bear 2D Rating: Based on the classic cartoon, ‘Yogi Bear’ features the voices of Dan Aykroyd and Justin Timberlake. When Jellystone Park is threatened with closure, Yogi needs to be "smarter than the average bear" to save their home.

Date(s): 23/07/2011

Date(s): 24/07/2011

If we had gone to see Yogi Bear in 3D it would have set me back about £40-£50. We are not fussed about 3D and get to watch it 5 months after first showing for £5. :D

Yes my kids have a tight wad Dad...

HOLA448

Since the arrival of Avatar Hollywod also quietly gone down the route of charging more for 3D. What is little know about some of the 3D films is that their audiences have fallen quite dramatically, but because the ticket prices have been bumped up the films have got headline figures of breaking box office records.

In reality, Hollywood is panicking about falling audiences, and Hollywood stars are worried that people no longer pay to see them - in other words, 'names' don't draw in the audiences anymore.

Personally I think the headlong rush to 3D is part of their problem. At least 10% of the population have minor eye disorders such as Strabismus which mean they are never going to be able to watch the product. Alienate that section of the audience and you are cutting out a source of earnings which oddly is very similar to the decline seen here. Movie going is also a habit which once broken may not be easy to restart.

HOLA449

Personally I think the headlong rush to 3D is part of their problem. At least 10% of the population have minor eye disorders such as Strabismus which mean they are never going to be able to watch the product. Alienate that section of the audience and you are cutting out a source of earnings which oddly is very similar to the decline seen here. Movie going is also a habit which once broken may not be easy to restart.

Absolutely hate it. People munching on crap loudly, rustling packets, slurping drinks, chatting, piddling with iPhones, texting, phoning !!

Have to pay me to go.

HOLA4410

Maybe not many people go to real movie theaters anymore?

I only go to free screenings (SeeFilmFirst etc.) and when I get "dragged" there by well-meaning friends.

I would never go otherwise.

The "magic" of cinema has done a vanishing act as far as I'm concerned.

sounds interesting.

Opinions seem to be a bit split (maybe the title built up too much hope in the minds of some) but personally I found it a funny, bitter/sweet film.

HOLA4411

Personally I think the headlong rush to 3D is part of their problem. At least 10% of the population have minor eye disorders such as Strabismus which mean they are never going to be able to watch the product.

I can see the 3D but unfortunately I have an eye condition that affects my night vision. So a dark film like Tron Legacy, coupled with those gray 3D glasses does not make for the ideal viewing experience.

Absolutely hate it. People munching on crap loudly, rustling packets, slurping drinks, chatting, piddling with iPhones, texting, phoning !!

Amen to that!

HOLA4412

The other thing is that the home tech has caught up and exceeded the cinema with HD, Blu Ray and large screen TV's. I know we have a joke about "plasma's" on HPC but a large screen TV might make a good investment if you have been a regular cinema goer.

HOLA4413

John Steed, I'm with you.

Phones - even if not texting, the bright screen is a total put-off! What on earth! Then the munching and slurping.... the WORST things are people talking, and folks right behind you nudging your seat - argh! Oh, and my local now charges something like £8.50 a ticket at the weekend. Put us right off!

It used to be we'd still go (albeit rarely) to see big films weeks after they've been out when there is less hassle... but now with the prices...

HOLA4414

I remember reading a hilarious review of that in the FT. The guy loved it.

I'm sure I remember one critic saying that the title set him up for one of the biggest letdowns he'd had in the cinema.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The other thing is that the home tech has caught up and exceeded the cinema with HD, Blu Ray and large screen TV's. I know we have a joke about "plasma's" on HPC but a large screen TV might make a good investment if you have been a regular cinema goer.

One of my dreams is to buy a 3 bedroom house.

One bedroom would obviously be where I would sleep.

One might be an office, either that or a spare bedroom.

The third (the biggest one) would be some kind of home cinema setup. Big screen LazyBoy chair, sound proofing. The works.

That's another thing about my local Odeon. Rubbish seats. I have to starting shifting about after an hour in order to prevent my posterior regions from going numb.

HOLA4417

Always room for a sequel?

Let's hope it's not a documentary. ;)

Is this a film about killing that U2 singer? Is that Bono?

Essentially yes, though very much a mix of fact and fiction about the early years of U2. Ivan McCormick (Robert Sheehan) really was in the band, albeit for a few weeks only. Martin McCann is pretty good as Bono.

HOLA4418

We've got a largish TV and for our sins have Sky Movies, plus you get the disney channel which is OK keeping the kids entertained allowing them to be brainwashed with US values. :lol::lol:

Have to admit the HD LED TV's easily beat the first gen LCD's which we had.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

We've got a largish TV and for our sins have Sky Movies, plus you get the disney channel which is OK keeping the kids entertained allowing them to be brainwashed with US values. :lol::lol:

Have to admit the HD LED TV's easily beat the first gen LCD's which we had.

IIhave an LG LCD HDTV and its very good. I watched Transformers on 4HD at the weekend and it was quite stunning.

HOLA4421

I used to see a free screening a couple of times a week, now i can't even be bothered to go to these.

I've been to a fair few free screenings over the past few years and they are rarely more than half full, despite the tickets selling out within hours.

HOLA4422

I've been to a fair few free screenings over the past few years and they are rarely more than half full, despite the tickets selling out within hours.

We have a little Chinese party calls round selling the latest films on DVD.Her boyfriend records them in the picture house as a sideline to delivering Chop sueys. Trouble is you just get to the exciting bit and this old broad walks past flogging someone a Strawberry Mivvi.

Archived