House Price Crash Forum

What If It All Goes Wrong Stash

mbc

HOLA441

does anyone have a link to the old posts when everyone thought the wold was gunna end and people listed the basic survival things you should have at home and where to get them as id like to build a stash

cheers

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

does anyone have a link to the old posts when everyone thought the wold was gunna end and people listed the basic survival things you should have at home and where to get them as id like to build a stash

cheers

All things are pointless, what you need is a weapon of some kind.... rather than keep a bunker filled with goodies which people will come after to steal. You keep a weapon to take THEIR food, if it comes down to it you can hunt other humans for food. I turn up at your home with a shotgun you are not going to say no are you? Hell you may not even get the chance to say no.

HOLA443

I am sure plenty in Japan had such stashes. Shame for them they become instantly pointless. Not to say people should not be prepared in some way. However the best laid plans can be pointless in the end.

I think skills are the main thing you can learn. The ability to have nothing and then be able to get food/water etc.. from scratch. I doubt these skills are easy to learn though. Probably years of practice to really have even a decent basic knowledge. So is it worth it for most ? Probably not. Who knows.

Ken - a weapon is a plan - however that can be mislaid/washed away as well.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I'm with Ken on this one. You can have the best stash in the world but without the means to defend it, it would count for nowt.

Sure. But then what happens if you head home to get this stuff. And you can't even find where your house used to be ?

Yes - I know it is an extreme example. However just pointing out that the best plans can end up in failure.

HOLA447

Sure. But then what happens if you head home to get this stuff. And you can't even find where your house used to be ?

Yes - I know it is an extreme example. However just pointing out that the best plans can end up in failure.

The the best plan is to have guile and knowledge of how to make stuff from scratch. Purifying water with scrap is pretty easy as is making improvised ranged weapons.

HOLA448

The the best plan is to have guile and knowledge of how to make stuff from scratch. Purifying water with scrap is pretty easy as is making improvised ranged weapons.

Now this is more like it. :D

I wonder if people like Ray Mears actually secretly hope for a bit of TFH adventures. Just to see if their skills are worthwhile or not ?

Then again - I wouldn't fancy being someone like Mears if it all went tits up. Far too well known. He would be grabbed and used by the person with the biggest weapon. Unless of course he had made himself some good defences.

Sounds like the makings of a good film.

HOLA449

Now this is more like it. :D

I wonder if people like Ray Mears actually secretly hope for a bit of TFH adventures. Just to see if their skills are worthwhile or not ?

Then again - I wouldn't fancy being someone like Mears if it all went tits up. Far too well known. He would be grabbed and used by the person with the biggest weapon. Unless of course he had made himself some good defences.

Sounds like the makings of a good film.

Which is where the guile bit comes in.... i.e. you hide your abilities from everybody else..... you elect to take the 'first watch' after you group together for 'mutual safety' in the morning you have 500 kilos of meat all to yourself. :P

HOLA4410

Which is where the guile bit comes in.... i.e. you hide your abilities from everybody else..... you elect to take the 'first watch' after you group together for 'mutual safety' in the morning you have 500 kilos of meat all to yourself. :P

Well I see your point - but that is a little extreme. :lol:

HOLA4411

Well I won't be joining your post-apocalypse clan if you're not going to even make the slightest bit of effort to provide a vegetarian offering. <_<

HOLA4412

You beat me to Ray Mears :(

HOLA4413

Ken, 500kg of meat is a lot to eat in one day, how do you propose to preserve it?

HOLA4414

You beat me to Ray Mears :(

And Mears beat everyone to that well known bush survival plant.

The pie tree.

Imagine if it did all go to sh1t and it turned out you'd abducted Adrian Chiles by mistake - that would be f**kin annoying.

HOLA4415

Ken, 500kg of meat is a lot to eat in one day, how do you propose to preserve it?

Now that is a good question. You would also need a lot of salt and perhaps the ability to smoke it ? Then again that would raise awareness to anyone nearby. All potential trouble.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Now that is a good question. You would also need a lot of salt and perhaps the ability to smoke it ? Then again that would raise awareness to anyone nearby. All potential trouble.

Salt will be very hard to come by in any large quantities, as for smoking well that would be difficult as the amount of meat involved would almost require an industrial size of operation, although the production of jerky is straight forward. Smoking would probably arouse the interests of the local marauding dogs that would invariably be around in some post apocalyptic type scenario.

I think the best bet is to keep them alive and gradually pick them off. You will need a plausible story and a good alibi for this to be effective.

HOLA4418

Thing regularly suggested on Infowars

1) Guns

2) Water filters

3) Non hybrid seeds

4) Storable food

5) Gold/Silver

6) Solar powered generators/wind turbines

I'd add:

Salt

Vitamin tablets.

Several pairs of clean pants.

Sorry almost forgot.

Lots of Scotch.

HOLA4419

Salt will be very hard to come by in any large quantities, as for smoking well that would be difficult as the amount of meat involved would almost require an industrial size of operation, although the production of jerky is straight forward. Smoking would probably arouse the interests of the local marauding dogs that would invariably be around in some post apocalyptic type scenario.

I think the best bet is to keep them alive and gradually pick them off. You will need a plausible story and a good alibi for this to be effective.

Sounds like the Road. Cheery film.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

And no refrigerator to store it in...unless you were planning on hanging them up alive in the cellar like turtles on board an 18th century sailing ship?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

cheers

Old post....

Remember, snares and fixed line fishing are *at least* 10x more efficienct than hunting. Don't hunt, let you dinner come to you.

For the tin foilhatters, here is the list of the first 100 things to become scarce wtshtf. (Note: Tin foil is an important addition to your weekly shopping list as it makes survival type cooking far easier.)

100 Items to Disappear First

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)

2. Water Filters/Purifiers

3. Portable Toilets

4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.

5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)

6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.

7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.

8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.

9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar

10. Rice - Beans - Wheat

11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)

12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)

13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.

16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.

17. Survival Guide Book.

18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.

20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)

21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)

22. Vitamins

23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)

24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.

25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)

26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)

27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)

28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)

29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).

30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels

31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)

32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)

33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)

34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit

35. Tuna Fish (in oil)

36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)

37. First aid kits

38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)

39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies

40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)

41. Flour, yeast & salt

42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first

43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators

44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)

45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts

46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns

47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)

48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)

49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc

50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)

51. Fishing supplies/tools

52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams

53. Duct Tape

54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes

55. Candles

56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)

57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags

58. Garden tools & supplies

59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies

60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.

61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)

62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)

63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel

64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc

65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats

66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)

67. Board Games, Cards, Dice

68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer

69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets

70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)

71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)

72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.

73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)

74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)

75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase

76. Reading glasses

77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)

78. "Survival-in-a-Can"

79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens

80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog

81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)

82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky

83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts

84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)

85. Lumber (all types)

86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)

87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's

88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.

89. Lantern Hangers

90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts

91. Teas

92. Coffee

93. Cigarettes

94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)

95. Paraffin wax

96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.

97. Chewing gum/candies

98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs

100. Goats/chickens

For those wanting to stock up, a quick guide:

2x 10kg bags of rice.

2x 5kg large white flour bags

2x 10kg bags of pasta shells

2x 20kg sack of cheap arro dog meal

1x 10x 24 army ration pack multi box. (7000 cal per day)

1x small 450w generator and couple of full fuel cans

small cell battery charger and various batteries

as much bottled water as you can store easily

medicines and bleaches, paracetamols and vital ointments

scrap gold. scrap silver.

cash savings at hand.

a constantly fully fueled vehicle.

a wind up radio, cards. blankets.

a stack of old newspapers or kitchen rolls

torches and a multi fuel stove. shopping trolley.

candles. matches. more matches.

pickled onions & onion pickling toolkit

a handgun and 30x .38 ammunition (and licence) or .22 air rifle. (if no

licence)

a cool head and a willingness to kill looters.

a safe.

Posted by: TaxAbuserOfTheWeek Oct 8 2008, 01:43 AM

Archived