House Price Crash Forum

Time To Raise The Rates?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

The BBC business presenter said this morning that the BoE were expected to "shrug off" calls for a rate increase.

Don't you just love the phrase "shrug off", it encapsulates the cocky bull attitude.

One day the boot will be on the other foot and the MPC will be "shrugging off" the bleating of homeowners seeing their hard-earned equity evapourate.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Good article here on the effects of interest rates by the always enteraining Chris Dillow

http://www.investorschronicle.co.uk/Columnists/ChrisDillow/article/20110228/c580360c-4352-11e0-9950-00144f2af8e8/Dev-Alahan-Dr-Pepper--Bank-rate.jsp

He gives the impression that interest rates have a much smaller impact than the MSM (and HPC crowd) generally make out.

HOLA448

Whilst the majority view is that interest-rates will be unchanged today I did spot a thoughtful sub-text to it earlier this week.

A Wild Card

The wild card is that MPC members must be aware that they are attracting criticism which is rising and that their policy is becoming an ever larger embarrassment. Looked at like that then just like a wild animal which is cornered their behaviour is hard to predict and so I will be awaiting noon on Thursday!

http://t.co/uZPNJ89

Just to be clear he feels that the main likelihood is that we will see unchanged interest-rates today but that there is also a small chance of a raise....

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The longer they leave it the larger the eventual correction has to be. Surely they know this?! :huh:

Unfortunately everyone in power just takes the view that only what happens during the few years they are running the show actually matters. Driving over a cliff is fine with them provided we don't hit the bottom before they've retired or moved on and someone else can be blamed.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

There's been some good economic news recently. Manufacturing today is up, yesterday trade was up (less down to be precise.)

There is a downside to raising the BR though. They'll raise it by +0.25% and it will have no effect thus showing the world how unpleasant the medicine is going to have to be. :o

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Not overly surprised, but as a tracker person am nevertheless happy.

I wonder what is going to happen once Sentance steps down imminently? Does anyone know anything about his replacement and what this general consensus is likely to be on where rates should be?

HOLA4419

I wonder what is going to happen once Sentance steps down imminently? Does anyone know anything about his replacement and what this general consensus is likely to be on where rates should be?

Ben Broadbent, former GS so I guess you can listen to what he says he's going to do and bet the other way.

HOLA4420

Ben Broadbent.

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/press_30_11.htm

I think the fact that the markets have 'priced in' rate rises mean it's a case of when, not if, the BoE raise.

The effects of them being 'vigilant' and doing nothing could have other damaging repercussions, of course...

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/interest-rates

HOLA4421
HOLA4422