House Price Crash Forum

Parking Restrictions Removed On New Build

HOLA441

"Two measures to "make life easier" for motorists in England have been

announced by the government.

It is lifting a restriction, introduced in 2001, on the number of

parking spaces allowed in developments of new homes.

And it will no longer instruct councils to set high parking charges to

encourage the use of other transport..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12105869

HOLA442

Friend recently dropped nearly £400k on a nearly new build 4bed det in a small village (ie in middle of nowhere, lots of land) apparently sold for nearly £500k in 2007. Single garage, one parking space, they have to leave one car on the street, as do all the neighbours.

Not really befitting half a million pound homes IMO.

HOLA443

"Two measures to "make life easier" for motorists in England have been

announced by the government.

It is lifting a restriction, introduced in 2001, on the number of

parking spaces allowed in developments of new homes.

And it will no longer instruct councils to set high parking charges to

encourage the use of other transport..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12105869

Finally!!!

That policy was extremely authoritarian, ans stupid! A working couple frequently need 2 cars! The idiots, control freak lunatic b@stards!

Yay!!! :D

HOLA444

Finally!!!

That policy was extremely authoritarian, ans stupid! A working couple frequently need 2 cars! The idiots, control freak lunatic b@stards!

Yay!!! :D

+1

what the hell was the labour party thinking. When politicians bring in such polices the first thing they should do is try it out for themselves block off some of their own drive so they can only get one car in. fvckwits

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

I was under the impression that many developments had been refused becasue there wouldn't be enough room for parking... if this is now not the case watch for nasty flats being thrown up without any parking space at all.

Didn't the rules set a minimum standard for parking levels?

I suspect the price hike will have more effect on car ownership rather than parking.

HOLA449

I was under the impression that many developments had been refused becasue there wouldn't be enough room for parking... if this is now not the case watch for nasty flats being thrown up without any parking space at all.

I suspect the price hike will have more effect on car ownership rather than parking.

I would say that it will work in the developers favour.......I know of planning permission being rejected (in an already built up area) due to too many units being squashed into a small land area and not enough room for any potential extra cars....someone I knew was asked if they might sell the end of their garden for car parking places so that the permission could be granted....they told them not interested, they said name your price! still no sale....therefore units had to be reduced.

No parking places for flats....where will people park their autos?...down the road and catch a bus. :P

HOLA4410

+1

what the hell was the labour party thinking. When politicians bring in such polices the first thing they should do is try it out for themselves block off some of their own drive so they can only get one car in. fvckwits

Their general view is to get people to use the trains by making driving as miserable as possible, rather than improving public transport.

Communist B4stards through and through.

HOLA4411

They did.

And then Prescott came along and changed them to maximum rules in the forlorn hope that the occupiers of properties without parking spaces would use the bus.

So instead of PP for estates being refused because there weren't enough spaces, from 1998 up until this week, it was refused for having too many

Edited by tim123

HOLA4412

They did.

And then Prescott came along and changed them to maximum rules in the forlorn hope that the occupiers of properties without parking spaces would use the bus.

So instead of PP for estates being refused because there weren't enough spaces, from 1998 up until this week, it was refused for having too many

John Prescott the King of the Gimps.

See also the £2b Pathfinder scam designed to raze perfectly good or renovatable properties and replace them with newer three times as expensive properties. Sort of ethnic cleansing without the morals.

As for the OP it does seem ludicrous for a new development not to have two parking spaces given the cost will mean that two adults are likely to have to work.

Precott (and the green lobby) again, of course, forcing people onto inadequate and expensive public transport. I wonder what became of his Integrated Public Transport Policy.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

+1

Try and get away from this limited two party political view of the world. Look up 'Agenda 21' and you will see it's got nothing to do with Labour or the Conservatives or it has to do with both, but wither way insisting on blaming one party is mistaken, misleading and rather ridiculous.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

It'll be none! Why build a parking space when you can fit on more flats?

Wrong developers would rather give as much parking as is needed to sell their houses or flats makes their jobs that much easier. Putting in an underground car park reduces the amount of flats built by zero , but they have not been allowed to do this.

HOLA4421

They set rules for maximum parking levels as it is supposed to encourage people to use public transport.

HOLA4422

It'll be none! Why build a parking space when you can fit on more flats?

Because a lot of people, ie those with enough money to afford a car, will not buy a property if it doesn't have a parking space. In most parts of the country, that leaves you selling it to buy to let investors who plan to let it to housing benefit tenants, and they will be looking for the cheapest price per room possible.

HOLA4423

....the chances are the car/s will have to be parked on the public street...time then for the local council to cash in by charging for a residents annual parking fee....happy days. ;)

No. This is a different policy. The labour 'communities' policy was that new developments would have the number of off-road parking spaces capped at approx 0.75 spaces per household - and that on-road parking was to be 'strongly discouraged' (e.g. by councils making occupiers of new build properties ineligible for parking permits).

This was certainly the case in some areas, were some new build flats/townhouses were build on a disused site, on the same row as a row of terraces. The occupiers of the pre-existing terraces all got on-road parking permits. However, only about 2/3 of the new builds got an off road parking space. None of the new build properties were eligible for on-road parking. If you bought or rented a property without an off-road parking space - well, you'd better not have a car, or enjoy parking it a mile from home.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

40 4 bed houses on my street all with just the one space (and a garage too small to use) so the on street car parking is a total nightmare.

Loads of new build flats near my work in Leeds with no car parking so all the available on street car parking is taken all the time. I get a call from the Police about twice a week to look at our CCTV as another car has been broken into, in fact did one today :(