House Price Crash Forum

Define A House Price Crash....

HOLA441
HOLA442

To me, a house price crash would be a drop of at least 50% over period of no more than 18 months. Anything less is a 'house price slide'. I can't see any circumstances where we'd see a crash by my definition.

How would others define a house price crash?

20%+ down YoY

I think we are somewhere around 15% down from the peak. No crash yet.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Id say 1% up and they are SOARING.

2% up and its STRATOSPHERIC.

3% UP and its HEADLINES for a month.

crash...dont care as long as its going down so that my daughters can actually afford to buy without sacrificing their child rearing potential.

HOLA445

Id say 1% up and they are SOARING.

2% up and its STRATOSPHERIC.

3% UP and its HEADLINES for a month.

crash...dont care as long as its going down so that my daughters can actually afford to buy without sacrificing their child rearing potential.

...a gradual slide is OK in my book 10% real 5% nominal per year, to bring back some sense of normality over the next ten years...this is to give our youngsters a chance to save for a deposit so that they may buy a home that they can actually one day pay for instead of any of their deposit savings being eroded when there was very little chance of catch up due to highly sophisticated, engineered, and manufactured artificially high prices.....

....also more homes to be built in places where people would want to live, where the jobs are so people can afford to buy them, that means more job creation outside of the south east. ;)

HOLA446

...a gradual slide is OK in my book 10% real 5% nominal per year, to bring back some sense of normality over the next ten years...this is to give our youngsters a chance to save for a deposit so that they may buy a home that they can actually one day pay for instead of any of their deposit savings being eroded when there was very little chance of catch up due to highly sophisticated, engineered, and manufactured artificially high prices.....

The last crash took five years, I think they have slowed the process down this time. I expect the bottom to be seven years from peak, say -5% per year.

HOLA447

To me, a house price crash would be a drop of at least 50% over period of no more than 18 months. Anything less is a 'house price slide'. I can't see any circumstances where we'd see a crash by my definition.

How would others define a house price crash?

I'd say 15% to 20% in a single year or 25% - 30% over, say, 3 years.

I do think we will exceed this however and go close to your definition.

HOLA448