House Price Crash Forum

Goldeneye On The Wii

Pauly_Boy

HOLA441

This is coming out in a few weeks and I can't wait, fast forward the vid below about 3 mins and it shows the first level ...

I played the N64 version non-stop with my mates so I've got fond memories of it, I just hope the game Wii version can live up to expections. Obviously the graphics won't be able to compete with the Xbox and stuff, but they look good enough :)

HOLA442

This is coming out in a few weeks and I can't wait, fast forward the vid below about 3 mins and it shows the first level ...

I played the N64 version non-stop with my mates so I've got fond memories of it, I just hope the game Wii version can live up to expections. Obviously the graphics won't be able to compete with the Xbox and stuff, but they look good enough :)

I remember getting the cheats was fun. Especially the facility one.

HOLA443
HOLA444

it was a great game 15 years ago but times have moved on

tried playing it on n64 a couple years back and could only last 10 minutes due to the horrible controls

these type of games are far more suited to the PC setup anyway controlwise and theres much better ones out there on pc right now with better multiplayer functionality

HOLA445

it was a great game 15 years ago but times have moved on

tried playing it on n64 a couple years back and could only last 10 minutes due to the horrible controls

these type of games are far more suited to the PC setup anyway controlwise and theres much better ones out there on pc right now with better multiplayer functionality

I absolutely loved the N64 version (admittedly I haven't probably played it in over 10 years)...It's interesting why they're porting over a 15 year old film/game...

HOLA446

Goldeneye is the father of modern shoot-em-ups, it was the BEST multiplayer ever. (For consoles, Unreal Tournament for PC).

Plays poorly now, I agree - looks good for Wii!!

Something about modern games, though - maybe I'm just not into them but I find them a bit boring. Xbox multiplayer is DIRE... barely any background music!

HOLA447

I was an obsessive Goldneye fan - it's my favourite computer game and probably always will be.

I used to hack into it using a device caled an action reply cartridge - it enabled you to edit the N64's RAM, which could unlock certain things in the game - for example, originally you were going to be able to play as the 'old' bonds in multiplayer - Connery et al...but this feature was removed for legal reasons. With an AR code, you could change the pictures in the character select screen to pictures of Sean Connery/Roger Moore ect...as the images were still in the game.

I used to get my AR codes printed in the N64 Magazine - I remember being rather thrilled the first time that happened.

Ten years on people are still hacking Goldeneye - a couple of years back someone made a fully fledged level editor which means that you can create your own levels using the 3d models/textures in the game or even by importing your own.

I'll stop rabbiting on about this now. In short - I love Goldeneye.

HOLA448

Goldeneye on N64 was great as it one of the first full-3D FPS on a console. However, it did suffer, as all console shooters do, due to using the joypad as a controller as opposed to the mouse for PC shooters. A lot of time has passed since then and the FPS genre has been done to death. This new game just looks like yet another bog-standard FPS to me. And im not sure how good the Wii's nunchuk joypad will be for playing it.

I know i sound negative but to me all the games coming out on consoles just all seem the same. Rehashing tired genres with little originality. Sure the graphics are better and there are new flashy controllers and a multitude of other bells and whistles but the core game is just the same old thing.

HOLA449

Goldeneye on N64 was great as it one of the first full-3D FPS on a console. However, it did suffer, as all console shooters do, due to using the joypad as a controller as opposed to the mouse for PC shooters. A lot of time has passed since then and the FPS genre has been done to death. This new game just looks like yet another bog-standard FPS to me. And im not sure how good the Wii's nunchuk joypad will be for playing it.

I know i sound negative but to me all the games coming out on consoles just all seem the same. Rehashing tired genres with little originality. Sure the graphics are better and there are new flashy controllers and a multitude of other bells and whistles but the core game is just the same old thing.

Yep. I went off games about 10 years ago. I probably sound like an old git, but for me, the heyday was probably the Megadrive / SNES wars (the SNES has always been the "king" for me)...after ,that, apart from Sega's attempts (Dreamcast & Saturn) its all been downhill since...Going back to a 15 year old game shows, to me anyway, that they've run out of ideas. Nowadays, games firms just slap even more poncy graphics over a poor games engine, and try and pass it off... Nah...I wont buy that any more...

HOLA4410

Same as. Used to love them. SNES was where it was at and the first couple of years of PS1.

Never been happier than when I was playing Tomb Radier 1 and Resident Evil in 1997. Games are all too fancy now and too focussed on on-line.

I've always found sports games the best ones to play...You can't really complete them & often work best as multiplayer - playing against the ghost racer on Mario Kart; you could literally lose days of your life playing that, Daytona USA on the Saturn, Ridge Racer on the PS1, Pro Evo on the PS2, etc, etc...

HOLA4411

Same as. Used to love them. SNES was where it was at and the first couple of years of PS1.

Never been happier than when I was playing Tomb Radier 1 and Resident Evil in 1997. Games are all too fancy now and too focussed on on-line.

..wing commander on a `286` pc whose graphics could only just about play it... kids today don`t know there born

and would they play medal of honour if they had to manually type out the code first from a book ..

HOLA4412

Yep. I went off games about 10 years ago. I probably sound like an old git, but for me, the heyday was probably the Megadrive / SNES wars (the SNES has always been the "king" for me)...after ,that, apart from Sega's attempts (Dreamcast & Saturn) its all been downhill since...Going back to a 15 year old game shows, to me anyway, that they've run out of ideas. Nowadays, games firms just slap even more poncy graphics over a poor games engine, and try and pass it off... Nah...I wont buy that any more...

Have a search for Dwarf Fortress (well, maybe not, it's not the type of game that worked well on those systems). Ludicrously complicated and no graphics to speak of, and one of the biggest timewasters that I've ever encountered. It's a vaguely Sim City-style game but with alcoholic depressive midgets, gore (and it's surprising how gory hitting something with a hammer hard enough to crash into a tree and splatter can be with symbolic ASCII "graphics"), and a tendency for players to build ludicrously complicated or impressive things just for the hell of it (someone once built an entire working computer within the game).

That's my sort of game.

HOLA4413

Have a search for Dwarf Fortress (well, maybe not, it's not the type of game that worked well on those systems). Ludicrously complicated and no graphics to speak of, and one of the biggest timewasters that I've ever encountered. It's a vaguely Sim City-style game but with alcoholic depressive midgets, gore (and it's surprising how gory hitting something with a hammer hard enough to crash into a tree and splatter can be with symbolic ASCII "graphics"), and a tendency for players to build ludicrously complicated or impressive things just for the hell of it (someone once built an entire working computer within the game).

That's my sort of game.

Too much production value, not enough game.

Theres a reason nintendo managed to come back into the market, and it's mostly to do with geeks going overboard on the tech specs and forgettign the entertainment.

Anyway -

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp

Fun, fun.

HOLA4414

Too much production value, not enough game.

Theres a reason nintendo managed to come back into the market, and it's mostly to do with geeks going overboard on the tech specs and forgettign the entertainment.

To cater for those who don't like to think? All the complexity and freedom to do what you like is what makes it fun playing for more than five minutes.

HOLA4415

To cater for those who don't like to think? All the complexity and freedom to do what you like is what makes it fun playing for more than five minutes.

Nintendo are very clever in what they do...they make games that are instantly playable (usually) but are very addictive, and devilish (take Mario Kart, Mario, etc..)...

HOLA4416

Nintendo are very clever in what they do...they make games that are instantly playable (usually) but are very addictive, and devilish (take Mario Kart, Mario, etc..)...

The last time I played any Nintendo games (years ago) they had a "must-try-again" addictive quality about them, but once I'd put them down I was never in any hurry to come back again.

HOLA4417

I find myself agreeing with so many points.

Goldeneye was the daddy of colsole shooters, however Quake was the true god father and Unreal Tournament 1999 is undoubtably the zenith of FPS games. Perfectly balanced, endless fun and non-stop action, everything a FPS should be.

New games Suck. You have to register all sorts of stuff when you buy the game, have to download endless updates, you can't even choose the name you want on a lot of games. Then there is the most annoying thing, I've spent £40 on a game so why don't you let me use all the ruddy guns in multiplayer? Oh no, only the people who have spend 200hrs+ earning all sort of hollow achievements can have the best guns, and then they combine there daddy gun with their skillz and just mow everyone down who just pops on for a quick game, there is no fun in that!

Anyway, I shall be buying this on Friday or Saturday, so I'll report back. My only concern is the frame rate, nintendos don't have a good track record with these things!

Archived