House Price Crash Forum

Homes Under The Hammer

HOLA441

Today's Home under the Hammer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qzk5m/Homes_Under_the_Hammer_Series_13_Episode_75/

Sells for 199k at 20m10s into the program (auction date 22 June 2009)

So on nethouseprices we can see this is the ground floor flat at No. 36 which completed on 20 July 2009)

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=AVARN+ROAD&locality=LONDON&town=LONDON&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=SW17&incode=9HA

Sold for 199k so everything ties up.

Says the refurb took just six weeks (42m53s), and then says the place sold for 275k one day after it was marketed (49m32s).

Well... there is no evidence of that sale on nethouseprices.com !!

Am I right in thinking this is cause of complaint (i.e. misleading information, VI ramping propaganda).

My guess is that they were offered 275k but it never went through, but on the program it does say "sold" and "they've got themselves about 62k gross profit" !!

Only question is... is there a way it could have been sold and not show up un nethouseprices (or on ourproperty which I double checked on) ?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qzk5m/Homes_Under_the_Hammer_Series_13_Episode_75/

So on nethouseprices we can see this is the ground floor flat at No. 36 which completed on 20 July 2009)

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?con=sold_prices_street_detail&street=AVARN+ROAD&locality=LONDON&town=LONDON&cCode=EW&year=All&house_style=All&house_age=All&search_radius=&outcode=SW17&incode=9HA

Says the refurb took just six weeks (42m53s), and then says the place sold for 275k one day after it was marketed (49m32s).

Am I right in thinking this is cause of complaint (i.e. misleading information, VI ramping propaganda).

My guess is that they were offered 275k but it never went through, but on the program it does say "sold" and "they've got themselves about 62k gross profit" !!

Only question is... is there a way it could have been sold and not show up un nethouseprices (or on ourproperty which I double checked on) ?

I think any complaint about that idiotic program is worth doing.

HOLA443

I like to play this game on the rare occasion I get to watch this shit.

I very rarely find any final sold prices for refurbed properties. I assume they can't get what they want so rent them out.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I like to play this game on the rare occasion I get to watch this shit.

I very rarely find any final sold prices for refurbed properties. I assume they can't get what they want so rent them out.

But often they aren't so clear in there wording that it "sold", they may say "received an offer" or something similar.

Think I will ask the BBC to confirm, based on the principal that this program can be considered as giving financial advice (people on the show often say they were inspired to get into refurbing/BTL by the program itself), they must surely give accurate information.

HOLA446

But often they aren't so clear in there wording that it "sold", they may say "received an offer" or something similar.

Think I will ask the BBC to confirm, based on the principal that this program can be considered as giving financial advice (people on the show often say they were inspired to get into refurbing/BTL by the program itself), they must surely give accurate information.

I don't think they normally specifically say sold, normally just assume the 'property experts' valuation is what it will sell for.

Worth a go. Be interesting to see what reply you get.

HOLA447

Hence the reason I ask

To get an ammendment and apology for misleading at the end of an episode would be great :)

I phoned up once to complain. You should do the same. You'll find them very obstructive. Demand they cooperate, what with them being public servants. I found that raised their blood more than the program did mine. Of course, I got nowhere in the end, but you may have better luck now. I'd advise reminding them of their role as a complaints handler, and then press the point that the beeb is under pressure to make cuts. Suggest that those not performing their designated role could be deemed to be in dereliction of duty, and thus summarily dismissable. At worst you'll share your anger about a bit! :D

HOLA448

I don't think they normally specifically say sold, normally just assume the 'property experts' valuation is what it will sell for.

Worth a go. Be interesting to see what reply you get.

If a house is sold to a limited company, I don't believe it appears on the land registry records.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

17 April 2010 10:29:14 PM

* Status changed: from 'Available' to 'Under offer' [Found by n/a]

14 April 2010 9:23:51 PM

* Title changed: from 'Avarn Road, Tooting' to 'Avarn Road, Tooting, SW17' [Found by n/a]

16 February 2010 3:29:29 PM

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

HOLA4412

* Title changed: from 'Avarn Road, Tooting' to 'Avarn Road, Tooting, SW17' [Found by n/a]

You can do a price comparison report for that postcode to see if it's relisted. It will should up as removed from the market by another agent.

Edited by Pent Up

HOLA4413

Good find (and tonkers)... but I guess that the gap between July 09 and Feb 10 would be big enough for a buy and sell on. Having said that, if someone had bought in that period it should definitely have had time to find its way onto the records. I am gonna complain... if the information they gave is wrong then they must not be allowed to get away with it.

Edit for shocking spelling :(

Edited by ScrewsNutsandBolts

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Good find (and tonkers)... but I guess that the gap between July 09 and Feb 10 would be big enough for a buy and sell on. Having said that, if someone had bought in that period it should definitely have had time to find its way onto the records. I am gonna complain... if the information they gave is wrong then they must not be allowed to get away with it.

The furniture and knick knacks (I mean interior design features) have not changed a jot so I do think this property has been hanging round their necks for over a year. Doesn't look lived in to me.

HOLA4416

You go girl! :D

I love things like this and the mass-emailing of that turd Simon Hughes

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Complained via email...

Complaint Summary:

Incorrect facts (I believe) on a programme that is known to influence the financial planning of the viewers.

Complaint Details:

Re: The flat bought in Tooting (36 Arven Road)

Sells for 199k at 20m10s into the program (auction date 22 June 2009). This is confirmed by land registry figures (completion took place on 20 July 2009).

Then later states quite clearly that the flat "sold" for 275k approx 6 weeks later (1 day after being marketed). This is at 49m32s. Presenter proceeds to say that "they've got themselves about 62k gross profit".

Well, this sale does not show up on land registry figures, and I can find marketing information from spring 2010 showing this property still for sale. Please can you verify, or otherwise, that the property did sell at the same price (and same timeframe) as stated on the program.

If not then I think this is a very dangerous piece of misleading misinformation. In past episodes there have been buyers that stated that it was the program itself (homes under the hammer) that inspired them to get into buying at auction/refurbing/selling/buy-to-let/etc. If the property did not sell for that price in that time frame, then I am sure an ammendment to that fact is necessary at the end of a subsequent program.

Kind regards

xxxxx

See what happens.... probably nothing :P

HOLA4420

Complained via email...

Complaint Summary:

Incorrect facts (I believe) on a programme that is known to influence the financial planning of the viewers.

Complaint Details:

Re: The flat bought in Tooting (36 Arven Road)

Sells for 199k at 20m10s into the program (auction date 22 June 2009). This is confirmed by land registry figures (completion took place on 20 July 2009).

Then later states quite clearly that the flat "sold" for 275k approx 6 weeks later (1 day after being marketed). This is at 49m32s. Presenter proceeds to say that "they've got themselves about 62k gross profit".

Well, this sale does not show up on land registry figures, and I can find marketing information from spring 2010 showing this property still for sale. Please can you verify, or otherwise, that the property did sell at the same price (and same timeframe) as stated on the program.

If not then I think this is a very dangerous piece of misleading misinformation. In past episodes there have been buyers that stated that it was the program itself (homes under the hammer) that inspired them to get into buying at auction/refurbing/selling/buy-to-let/etc. If the property did not sell for that price in that time frame, then I am sure an ammendment to that fact is necessary at the end of a subsequent program.

Kind regards

xxxxx

I don't think you needed to put kisses at the end! :D

HOLA4421

It's been under offer since April!

tim

My daughter's been looking in that area for a while - there are stacks of maisonettes for sale, and a good many have been up for ages. We've seen some recent reductions of the long-timers, but the ever overpricing Foxtons has a 2 bed maisonette on for £330K - admittedly done up and slightly extended - a very similar (done up) one just a few doors away was orig. on for £299K, recently reduced by £10K. Both these at least have 2 proper dbl beds, though.

Like so many of those maisonettes with two so-called double bedrooms, the OP one has a 2nd bedroom that's more like a large single.

Given the market at the moment should imagine they'll be lucky to get £250K.

On another thread recently someone said they were renewing their rental in Tooting and the LA employee told him/her she was usually in sales but it was so dead at the moment they'd put her on to lettings.

HOLA4422

My recent observations of HUTH the other week (when I was off sick)

I also used to play the game of finding the auctioned property on the Land Registry and comparing it to Rightmove a few years ago. However, that was when HUTH made no effort to hide the details of the property in question. (you could see the door number and the auctioneer would call out the house number/street).

The episode I watched the other week had the door number pixelated out and the part where the auctioneer called out the number/street was ommitted.

This is the VI we are up against folks!!!

HOLA4423

My recent observations of HUTH the other week (when I was off sick)

I also used to play the game of finding the auctioned property on the Land Registry and comparing it to Rightmove a few years ago. However, that was when HUTH made no effort to hide the details of the property in question. (you could see the door number and the auctioneer would call out the house number/street).

The episode I watched the other week had the door number pixelated out and the part where the auctioneer called out the number/street was ommitted.

This is the VI we are up against folks!!!

Seen exactly the same myself.

I figured it was due to the buyers requesting some form of protection (from stalkers, hpc nutters, etc), but then thought that I had never seen it done before in older episodes. So now that the market has stalled, and HPI doesn't carry everyone into profit, perhaps they are just trying to hide the losses from anyone who wants to do their own research...

HOLA4424

Complaint to Ofcom about a specific program

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/tv-and-radio/a-specific-programme/

Not had time to go through the Broadcasting Code, but I would think any breaches would be under Section 5: Due impatiality and Due Accuracy.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/

HOLA4425

You'll wait around 6-8 weeks and get a "We didn't find a problem with what was aired. Goodbye" email/letter.

I complained about the episode of Watchdog where Konni Huq used about 10 minutes of the program to push her own agenda in a hugely biased way and got the above emailed back to me. Speaking of Mrs Brooker, funny how Charlie never mentions his BTL empire when posting on this site.. ;)