House Price Crash Forum

Us To Charge 9 Quid To Enter.

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I suppose it's a bad thing to have an extra levy charged but if you can afford to go to America then I'm sure you can afford an extra tenner.

Agree with mrs Bear, all the checking and data they take/hold on you is more objectionable than a tenner.

So much for the special relationship...

HOLA445
HOLA446

Get it free now is the point. I have mine, took five minutes.

My uncle refused to go to the US again after he got taken off into a room and questioned at length on arrival at Atlanta airport, meanwhile my aunt didn't know where he was or what was going on. For about an hour IIRC.

This was because he had the same name as a conman from the the same city, an assumed name in the conman's case. Nice intelligent policing I must say.

HOLA447

What I really, really object to on entering the US is giving a full set of fingerprints.

Would go so far as to say it outrages me - if not for a sister there I wouldn't go.

Yeah that's tough having a relative there.

Suppose all those who have bought a second home in Florida can always sell up though.

HOLA448

Looks like they PAY YOU £25 for doing it on line:

"Once the application as been received you will receive an acknowledgement email with a reference number The ESTA authorisation will be sent via email usually within 24 hours after application and payment of our Service Charge (£25) Authorisation if approved will be emailed to you within 24 hours of receiving a completed online ESTA application "

HOLA449

What I really, really object to on entering the US is giving a full set of fingerprints.

Would go so far as to say it outrages me - if not for a sister there I wouldn't go.

I wouldn't go to see her. Tell her to come and see you.

Never been to the US. Never want to go.

HOLA4410

I suppose it's a bad thing to have an extra levy charged but if you can afford to go to America then I'm sure you can afford an extra tenner.

Agree with mrs Bear, all the checking and data they take/hold on you is more objectionable than a tenner.

So much for the special relationship...

Mind you last time I went (last Dec) at least the customs/immigration staff were quick and pleasant.

For once I did not have to bite back a load of invective about their bloody-minded rudeness.

And nobody made a fuss about jars of Marmite and Branston Pickle.

The bloke wrote the Marmite down as 'jam'. :P

HOLA4411

Yeah, the only part of the world I've never been.

Seems to me this is just a tax, the same stunt that a lot of third world countries pull. I wonder if the relatively wealthy Americans who come here wouldn't be worried by a $14 charge but our own 'chav' types would?

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

Wales charge £6 to get out.

You pay on your way in, unless they moved the toll booths.

Laos and Cambodia charge $20. The latter is a complete dump.

HOLA4415

I see no reason why Yanks should not be charged to enter our wonderful country! Come on Cameron, charge away, it's a nice little earner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10899968

We already do that. What does it cost to visit the Tower of London these days? 20 quid?

We are the land of rip-off merchants with no need to charge a fee at the entrance.

When I visit the US I often pick up a nice Gibson Guitar at a bargain price and would consider 9 gns. a paltry sum in exchange.

HOLA4416
Guest Noodle

We already do that. What does it cost to visit the Tower of London these days? 20 quid?

We are the land of rip-off merchants with no need to charge a fee at the entrance.

When I visit the US I often pick up a nice Gibson Guitar at a bargain price and would consider 9 gns. a paltry sum in exchange.

:blink:

What?!!!!

Per family? :huh:

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest Noodle

Adult

£17.00

Family

Up to 2 adults and 6 children

£47.00

:lol::lol::lol:

Now that's comedy!

Seriously RB, I'm getting these little snippets about costs there and 1. I really don't want to go near an airport and 2. I do wonder why you are holding out there. Why? Is it family, grandkids?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Agree totally. I actually really like America, but the 3 hour queue to be treated like a criminal,

starts every trip off badly.

I'm surprised more countries don't charge an 'entry fee'. Sort of like a temp tax.

This country is probably the biggest rip off. Is it something close to 20 quid to get into St Pauls?

It's just a big church ffs.

HOLA4422

How many of these Guitars do you have? Or do you sell them on ebay?

Does anyone think that it will remain at 9 quid for any length of time?

HOLA4423

Special case last time - she'd just had a serious op.

And for various reasons it's a lot easier for me anyway, so I'll probably go on swallowing my outrage.

HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

Agree totally. I actually really like America, but the 3 hour queue to be treated like a criminal,

starts every trip off badly.

I'm surprised more countries don't charge an 'entry fee'. Sort of like a temp tax.

This country is probably the biggest rip off. Is it something close to 20 quid to get into St Pauls?

It's just a big church ffs.

I was glad to get back the the civilization that is Suvarabhumi International after the animal husbandry like herding experience at JFK.

HOLA4425

Get it free now is the point. I have mine, took five minutes.

But you can't just apply now to save the $14 without full travel details. Charge starts 8th Sept.

I just tried because I may be visiting a friend of mine in 2011 who now lives and works in Pennsylvania. But you have to have flight details etc to finish the application. Since I haven'' booked yet, I don't think it would be a good idea to just guess. (Follow up checks I expect since you have to give your address, email, phone no)

On an aside, some wbsites have been 'doing it for you' for a fee for ages anyway, for a service which has been free up to now here:

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html?_flowExecutionKey=_c2CC3E66B-6BB9-60B3-634F-B7A5012BC708_kE79BDDD7-A1E9-460B-1EEE-DA086D7E16A3

Archived